Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, impressive guitar work, though I never was all that excited about his music, not that I think there's anything wrong with it either, it just never grabbed me that much.

But I do have a slight connection - two of my kids played in Band in High School and another student was a percussionist who ended up in Prince's band, and toured with him a few years ago. She was a very impressive drummer in High School.

So there was an emergency landing of his plane a few days ago near Moline IL, to get him to the hospital. And now dead? I wonder if more will come out after a while? Seems a little odd. I saw some reference to him saying he can't play guitar anymore? Was there something else going on?

-ERD50

Your thought on his demise actually was in my head, also. I wonder too if there was another health issue. I really liked his 80s stuff. I remember the few times I went to a "Gentlemens Club" way back when Prince's song "Creme" would always be playing when the Poles were getting a workout.
I guess he truly was an eccentric one. A friend of his said when Prince was at home the hired help on certain days could look at him, but not talk to him. On other days they could talk to him, but not look at him. Very odd....
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

He just hosted a dance party at his place, paisley park, in chanhassen, mn. five days ago. He said that he had a touch of the flu but that he would be fine. He was showing off his new purple yamaha grand piano, he played the chopsticks on it, and his new guitar. Next thing you know he's dead. Unbelievable. RIP.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dude was not only a great guitarist and vocalist, he was an equally accomplished songwriter that could play virtually any musical instrument. I was one of those rockers that he won over in the 80s. Can't say I was a big fan of his music, more an admirer of his immense talent. Sorry to see him go. David Bowie, Glenn Frey, and now Prince all in less than 4 months! May they all rest in peace.
Dan4495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it helps I just read a story saying there would be an autopsy so, I don't think there will be any stonewalling or myth creating associated with this.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #25
Administrator

What an amazing artist! I loved him as a performer, but his talents expanded far beyond that. He wrote many songs that other performers made into hits, including Sheena Easton, The Bangles, Moris Day and the Time, and Sinead O'Connor.

Here is a Prince song ("Call My Name") performed by Morgan James. Prince won a Grammy for it. Young Ms. James does it justice.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #26

I'm in MN where they've been reporting this all day. While he apparently did have the flu or something like it a few days ago no one is yet confirming what he died from. He was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Amazing talent. Stunning half time show in pouring rain at the 2007 super bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

It's hard to find links to his music, because he kept such a tight handle on his library. But even those of you who say you weren't fans (most of us here?) would probably be surprised how many of his songs you know or have heard. Just the hits, like When Doves Cry, Raspberry Beret, 1999, Kiss, Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, and on and on. Almost all of those were either number 1 or number 2 hits on Billboard.

I worked in Mega with a woman who went to high school with Prince back in Minneapolis. She said she vaguely knew him, and thought he was just this weird-ish guy. No idea back then he was going to be a superstar.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I'm in MN where they've been reporting this all day. While he apparently did have the flu or something like it a few days ago no one is yet confirming what he died from. He was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park.
Sadly, very possible that his death was a combination of the flu and opioid use.

Quote:
Most speculation on the death of Prince, who passed away Thursday at age 57, has centered on his struggle with the flu, but new reports suggest the late pop icon may also have suffered from an opioid overdose. If that’s the case, experts say the combination could be deadly, as the respiratory illness and even a regular dosage of opioids can effectively depress the body’s ability to breathe.
Quote:
Gupta, who advises the Food and Drug Administation (FDA) on the problem of opioid overdose, said the reported sequence of events surrounding Prince’s death “sounds like it was an overdose.”

She pointed out that people who suffer from overdose once are likelier to suffer from one again. According to the CDC, opioid overdose deaths are now outpacing deaths from car accidents. Nearly half a million Americans died from drug overdoses between 2000 and 2014.

“Every 19 minutes, someone dies from an overdose,” Gupta said. “It’s incredibly sad.”
Awaiting Prince’s autopsy results: Experts say flu, opioid use can be deadly combination | Fox News
Old 04-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Prince was a great guitar player, but not because Rolling Stone says so. They put Johnny Ramone at #16 and Kurt Cobain at #12 for example...two people who could barely play, above Eddie Van Halen at #70 and David Gilmour at #82.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yeah, don't get me started on that...

Then again, my list would likely be a bunch of jazz and prog rock players, with the occasional Chet Atkins or Vince Gill scattered here and there...
Music Lover - really? I provided the link, how did you manage to misrepresent them all? What the heck are you looking at

Rolling Stone showed #16 was Derek Trucks, #12 was Stevie Ray Vaughan, #70 was Jack White.

Cobain was #73, Gilmour was #14, Eddie Van Halen was #8.

I'm not going to look up the rest for you, you can look again...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I wonder how accurate this news item is about Prince. Another victim of the entertainment community done in by illegal drugs?

Quote:

Multiple sources in Moline tell us, Prince was rushed to a
hospital
and doctors gave him a "save shot" ... typically
administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.

Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24
hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn't
possible ... Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released 3 hours
after arriving and flew home.

Read more: Prince Treated for Drug Overdose Days Before Death | TMZ.com

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I wonder how accurate this news item is about Prince. Another victim of the entertainment community done in by illegal drugs?

Read more: Prince Treated for Drug Overdose Days Before Death | TMZ.com

Though it may have been "legal" drugs. It was reported that he became opioid dependent after hip surgery.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yeah, don't get me started on that...

Then again, my list would likely be a bunch of jazz and prog rock players, with the occasional Chet Atkins or Vince Gill scattered here and there...

In defense of Rolling Stone, they did preface the list with "We assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites".

Favorites, not necessarily best...

Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #35

I think it's easy with very famous people like Prince, to be swayed by the more gossipy stories we hear, and assume they are merely highly flawed eccentrics who possess great talent, and are not well-rounded personalities. These characterizations we get from the media rarely paint an accurate and fair portrait of a person though and particularly in the case of Prince, I am struck by the fact that he seems to have been a good deal more "normal" than many folk realize.

He was reportedly an accomplished player of sports in school, who hung out with the jocks, and a lifelong basketball fan. But it's his philanthropy and humanitarianism that fills me with respect for the man. If you have a few minutes, watch this clip -

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Music Lover - really? I provided the link, how did you manage to misrepresent them all? What the heck are you looking at

Rolling Stone showed #16 was Derek Trucks, #12 was Stevie Ray Vaughan, #70 was Jack White.

Cobain was #73, Gilmour was #14, Eddie Van Halen was #8.

I'm not going to look up the rest for you, you can look again...
I didn't notice you had a link so I did a search for "Rolling Stone top 100 guitar players" and came up with a different list. Obviously they have more than one "top 100 guitar player" list. Prince isn't on this one:

Lightnin' Hopkins - 100 Greatest Guitarists: David Fricke's Picks | Rolling Stone
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #37

TMZ is reporting that Prince overdosed on Percocet (an opiate drug for pain relief) 6 days before his death, when his plane had to make an emergency landing in Illinois, so they could rush him to the hospital to save his life. He eventually made it home to Minnesota, but apparently got more prescription drugs from his doctor there, and died a few days later. They say he needed hip replacement surgery and was in constant pain (his hips were damaged from years of jumping around on stage in those heels he wore), but his religious beliefs (Jehovah's Witness) forbade him from having a blood transfusion, which is a normal part of that type of surgery. So it appears that he resorted to opiate pain meds for relief, and got addicted. Very sad.........

Prince: Percocet Triggered OD Days Before Death | TMZ.com
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
TMZ is reporting that Prince overdosed on Percocet (an opiate drug for pain relief) 6 days before his death, when his plane had to make an emergency landing in Illinois, so they could rush him to the hospital to save his life. He eventually made it home to Minnesota, but apparently got more prescription drugs from his doctor there, and died a few days later. They say he needed hip replacement surgery and was in constant pain (his hips were damaged from years of jumping around on stage in those heels he wore), but his religious beliefs (Jehovah's Witness) forbade him from having a blood transfusion, which is a normal part of that type of surgery. So it appears that he resorted to opiate pain meds for relief, and got addicted. Very sad.........

Prince: Percocet Triggered OD Days Before Death | TMZ.com
We'll get the full story eventually. This is not necessarily a "rock star OD". This can happen to anyone. It really can.

A physician friend and I were talking this morning about the problem of opiate addiction, and he says that in continuing education, they are being taught to "forget everything we said 20 years ago." Apparently, it was the standard in the 90s to treat any pain aggressively. Many docs took that to heart and would prescribe oxy, hydrocodone, percocet, etc. with even the simplest pain issues.

Well, now it is more for a last resort kind of thing. It is very easy to get addicted to anything opiate based. And when you've gone through chronic pain issues, you'll take your chances.

My doc is an NSAID advocate because of this. They have their own issues, but at least addiction isn't one of them.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We'll get the full story eventually. This is not necessarily a "rock star OD". This can happen to anyone. It really can.

A physician friend and I were talking this morning about the problem of opiate addiction, and he says that in continuing education, they are being taught to "forget everything we said 20 years ago." Apparently, it was the standard in the 90s to treat any pain aggressively. Many docs took that to heart and would prescribe oxy, hydrocodone, percocet, etc. with even the simplest pain issues.

Well, now it is more for a last resort kind of thing. It is very easy to get addicted to anything opiate based. And when you've gone through chronic pain issues, you'll take your chances.

My doc is an NSAID advocate because of this. They have their own issues, but at least addiction isn't one of them.
This is true, it seems to be a roller coaster ride. I remember years ago it was thought that not enough opiates were prescribed, that chronic pain and terminal patients were being UNDER treated because the prescribers were afraid the DEA was tracking/watching them.

Then the above started to happen and now it seems they are tightening the reigns again due to DEA crackdown not only on prescribers but pharmacies that unquestioningly fill any large quantity opiates.

Sad to hear about the passing of Prince, the 4 hour autopsy shows no trauma, now they are waiting for toxicology reports.....
Old 04-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's hard to find links to his music, because he kept such a tight handle on his library. But even those of you who say you weren't fans (most of us here?) would probably be surprised how many of his songs you know or have heard. Just the hits, like When Doves Cry, Raspberry Beret, 1999, Kiss, Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, and on and on. Almost all of those were either number 1 or number 2 hits on Billboard.
I was one of those who felt he was a very talented guitar player, but his music overall didn't do much for me.

But I was aware of all those hits, and knew them as Prince songs (maybe not "Let's Go Crazy", but I might recognize it if I heard it).

But the link HFWR posted - wow, that's some serious playing, performance, and musicianship (IMO). It's not hit material, but it is impressive, and probably the best I've seen of him.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote