Prince: "The Internet Is Over"

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
Prince: 'The Internet is over' - MSN Music News

From the article:

Music superstar Prince is adamant he will never sell his songs on the Internet, insisting Web-based outlets will soon disappear because they are no longer "hip."

He says, "The Internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.

"The Internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you.

And in other news, Prince announced he will start traveling for his next tour by stagecoach, being that planes, trains and automobiles are no longer hip. Airplanes are over.

Funny how I've never noticed that Prince's music is not available on the internet.

It's Prince who is no longer hip... Was he ever:confused:

I think he is right. Computers are just a passing fad like CB radios. :rolleyes:

Who is Prince? Must be irrelevant these days.

And actually, to speak to a portion of his quote, MTV jumped the shark when it *stopped* being about music videos and, in fact, had a lot of content not really even related to music.

I honestly think the guy is a moron. When was the last time I heard a Prince song or watched a Prince music video? Maybe he's wealthy enough from residuals and concert fees such that he doesn't really give a flip about making even more money by using this medium we call the internet.

This article is probably something Prince's PR guy came up with to generate some buzz for Prince, since he's not getting much attention lately. Maybe boost those CD sales (do people still buy CD's??).

Compare Prince to current pop stars. I'm just going by what my 5 year old finds popular - Lady Gaga, Katy Perry. Billion(s) of views on youtube. That's got to drive the name brand for these performing artists. Prince will be marketing to an increasingly small niche of netophobes. In the meantime, plenty of other social-media adept performing artists will be making bucks the old fashioned way (via the internet among other outlets).

He's just ticked because he can't get an advance from the major e-music store out there. If he needs a loan, he could maybe try a bank?

(He needs the money because he's behind on property tax payments and interest on more than a dozen places.)

Perhaps Prince would be more relavent if he DID have his music available on the Internet:)

1999 was a long long time ago.

Prince is a bit of a whack job. I read an article about his cult like entourage a few of decades ago and concluded that he was sicko. When he became the gliph (aka the artist formerly known as Prince) my misgivings were confirmed. He became Prince again when no one could find his stuff as the gliph. He will re-embrace the Internet when he concludes that it isn't "over." Complete di*k head.

Prince is a bit of a whack job. .... When he became the gliph (aka the artist formerly known as Prince) .... Complete di*k head.

Maybe *that* is why he thinks the Internet is dead - he never caught on that you can't google "a graphical representation of that di*k head formerly known as 'Prince' ".

I love it when a company/org makes their name unique enough to google easily. I heard this was a consideration for the TV show "Numb3rs" - unique to that show rather than every web page that mentions numbers.

Googling for info on transferring my email from Apple's "Mail" program was frustrating.

-ERD50

In 1980, before Prince (inexplicably) got popular, he opened for the Stones and got bombed off the stage with garbage thrown by 90,000 impatient Stones fans at the L.A. Colloseum. Years later, in a Rolling Stone interview, he was still complaining about the incident. I saw it live, and it's one of my most cherished memories. ;)

He is another pompous, poorly educated "entertainer" who believes others should listen to his opinions which have no basis in fact.

He is definitely a legend in his own mind. FWIW, I thought he was a lousy artist, especially when compared to the real talent of his era. Another aging has been.

I like Prince and think he has made some amazing music. Guess I'm about the only one round these parts who thinks so ;) Those who don't like his style may like some of the music he's written. Like this for example:

YouTube - Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U

I like Prince and think he has made some amazing music. Guess I'm about the only one round these parts who thinks so ;)
You’re not alone. Another Prince fan here. A talented artist, songwriter and performer. I didn’t know he wrote that song – which I really like. Nice tip!

Read the original interview here Prince - world exclusive interview: Peter Willis goes inside the star's secret world - mirror.co.uk
My take – he is not saying the internet is over in a commercial sense but in an art - fashion sense. IOW, it’s no longer “cool” for artists. Given the difficulties his fellow professionals face with copyright protection, he has a point.

raspberry%20beret.JPG

:)

From James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal's Best of the Web

"Prince, the 52-year-old music icon has pronounced the internet dead, refusing to use any digital platforms to distribute his music," reports London's Daily Telegraph:
Instead the artist has opted to release his latest album 20Ten in CD format only as a cover-mount free giveaway with The Daily Mirror this weekend.​
The Telegraph buried the lead. Who knew they had invented an analog CD?

Mike D.

Back
Top Bottom