Join Early Retirement Today

Privacy and dockless bikes/scooters
Old 03-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Privacy and dockless bikes/scooters

In case you did not have enough to worry about, here is a story about the location information gathered about people when they use the dockless bikes and scooters that are popping up in many cities.

It seems that your city fathers and mother will know quite a bit about where citizens come and go from on a daily basis. Worse, if that data is compromised (does anybody believe it is not at risk?) a bad guy could get his hands on the information might be able to pinpoint your home, work location, and patterns of travel rather easily.

https://www.politico.com/states/cali...y-fight-883121

Quote:
While Los Angeles says the law does not apply to data schema managed by government, the parallel developments demonstrate how data privacy is becoming a paramount consideration for policymakers — particularly the large and growing pool of information on where people are going in a world of increasingly sophisticated and connected transit.

“If you know where people work and pray and play you know a whole lot about them,” Jerome said. “Our concern is [Los Angeles] is asking for a whole lot of data — more frequent and rigorous real-time data than companies collect and provide at the moment.”

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
a bad guy could get his hands on the information might be able to pinpoint your home, work location, and patterns of travel rather easily.
A bad guy can his hands on that info (and more) by searching your name on mylife.

DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
A bad guy can his hands on that info (and more) by searching your name on mylife.
Or just observing you.

I don't understand all the excitement over this stuff. we heard it about 'smart power meters' too. Like some bad guy could figure when I'm home or not by monitoring by power usage? Or, just watch when I leave.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the thieves are more interested in the information Tesla owners provide.
I saw the system they have in China where they monitor every EV real time, pretty amazing.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If they get this information on me they will find that I ride around in circles in many different cities.
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know Ive said it before (and I'll say it again). See my tag line - but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

All this stuff involves tradeoffs. I regularly use bike share for short trips across town and in the neighborhood. I suspect the odds of being stalked by bike share or scooter hackers is pretty small. I have occasionally posted here or on Facebook that I am traveling. That is a bigger risk.