Join Early Retirement Today

Privacy - Did you know?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Privacy - Did you know?

It's not likely that anyone here, except perhaps moderators, knows my name.

While I expect that there is not much that is sacred about personal privacy any more, but I was surprised when I went for the first time to a news website that I don't frequent, and as I was beginning to scroll down the page, accidentally ran my mouse cursor over a g+ icon... and a pop-up came up, saying "Personally Recommeded by (my name)...

I have no idea of the ramifications of this, except that my name is somewhat unusual, and if it should come up associated with that website, it would be easy enough to find me. I suppose that by signing up for Google plus, ( a long time ago... and I don't use it for anything) I gave my legal authority to expose the information to any page I go to on the internet.

So yes... I should have known...and am probably the only person here who resents this, still... it was a surprise.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hear ya! I find all aspects of Google to be extremely invasive, however I rely pretty heavily on much of it. I too wish I hadn't signed up with my real name. Thanks for your post, because this got me thinking, so I Googled it and found this: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1355890?hl=en

Headed to change it now.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You can delete the Google + account but if you don't want to do that, just open all the options and uncheck what they have you defaulted for.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
It's not likely that anyone here, except perhaps moderators, knows my name.

While I expect that there is not much that is sacred about personal privacy any more, but I was surprised when I went for the first time to a news website that I don't frequent, and as I was beginning to scroll down the page, accidentally ran my mouse cursor over a g+ icon... and a pop-up came up, saying "Personally Recommeded by (my name)...

I have no idea of the ramifications of this, except that my name is somewhat unusual, and if it should come up associated with that website, it would be easy enough to find me. I suppose that by signing up for Google plus, ( a long time ago... and I don't use it for anything) I gave my legal authority to expose the information to any page I go to on the internet.

So yes... I should have known...and am probably the only person here who resents this, still... it was a surprise.
I don't know for sure but it more likely was a link you could select to endorse the page, not a link that would otherwise show up if others visit the page. Even if you clicked it, the endorsement would undoubtedly only go to your Google plus circle, not the whole world. I have seen similar links for Facebook likes.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #5

sounds like Facebook issues too...they have me 'liking' posts that I've never liked. Apparently if are friends with someone who 'liked' Target at some point, Facebook implies that you also like Target and push out posts that 'you' like Target... such BS....
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
sounds like Facebook issues too...they have me 'liking' posts that I've never liked. Apparently if are friends with someone who 'liked' Target at some point, Facebook implies that you also like Target and push out posts that 'you' like Target... such BS....
I haven't seen that but I have noticed that these sites are getting better at obscuring the "opt in" notice that likes some page when you thought you were doing something else. It is like the download sights that trick you into installing toolbars and unwanted software. The disclosure is there if you are watching for it but easily overlooked if you are rushing along at typical Internet speeds.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It is like the download sights that trick you into installing toolbars and unwanted software. The disclosure is there if you are watching for it but easily overlooked if you are rushing along at typical Internet speeds.
My DW is famous for getting tricked like that. Just last week I had to uninstall the Ask toolbar and bunch of other similar junk off her desktop. Java tries to trick you into that stuff as does Adobe.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #8

this is why I don't like social media and don't use any of them. I make an exception for this forum, bogelheads, and one other forum. I don't need to share my life online - I have an "in real life" life. I have a friend that calls herself a "Facebook stalker" .... she reads but rarely posts - how scary is that ?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My DW is famous for getting tricked like that. Just last week I had to uninstall the Ask toolbar and bunch of other similar junk off her desktop. Java tries to trick you into that stuff as does Adobe.

Ask toolbar = evil. Oracle should be ashamed.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
this is why I don't like social media and don't use any of them. I make an exception for this forum
No exceptions at all for me, including here.
This is being posted by the last person who stole my identity.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote