Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I gave up being concerned about privacy in 1975 after I experienced my first visit to a gynecologist.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I gave up being concerned about privacy in 1975 after I experienced my first visit to a gynecologist.
Yeah, I hate when that happens.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will refrain from making any comment here :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Also, I thought I'd pass this along, I've been using this site (the free version) to set up my passwords across a number of computers and really like it thus far.
https://lastpass.com/

Might be worth a look. I first learned about them on CNET.
DD has used lastpass for years and loves it. She even pays an annual fee to use it on her iPad and iPhone.

DD is an IT security expert and worked at IBM on improving their AIX (Unix based) operating system to make it secure enough to pass the Sarbanes Oxley requirements a few years back. (in other words, I trust her judgement in this area).
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The first is a little tricky... go to the DOS prompt (Run) and type in "keymgr.dll"
locate the site, and right click for "properties"

Another way is to load SIW (System Information Windows) open anf go to "Passwords" All of the stored URL's, user names, and passwords are listed.
keymgr.dll is not what you run, from a DOS prompt you can type

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

or you can type "control userpasswords2" , both just open the console for user administration. Standard admin tool, it doesn't show any passwords.

SIW doesn't show anything more than what is stored in the registry, just easier to read. System/user passwords are not shown, just those stored by IE/outlook, which can be found easily. I allways tell people to never allow the browser to store passwords.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
...(snip)...
SIW doesn't show anything more than what is stored in the registry, just easier to read. System/user passwords are not shown, just those stored by IE/outlook, which can be found easily. I allways tell people to never allow the browser to store passwords.
Does that follow for Firefox too on a secure computer?

I notice that financial sites do not get the offer to store the password. Is that because they have chosen to turn off this feature?

And a last question: suppose one did have a password already stored (password #1). I'd imagine one could just change that password and do the store again (password #2). Then change it back to their original password #1 but not allow agree to store that password this time. Does that basically get rid of the password #1 storage mistake?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #47

Firefox has its own password manager, Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox | Firefox Help

I think how the page coding is done handles this ( been a while since I played with html ) but there was something like "autocomplete=off" which told the browser to not prompt for passwords

That will probably work, you basically have to trick it into redoing the password. One of those odd quirks, you save the password but no direct way to change it.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
By making a comment.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Firefox has its own password manager, Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox | Firefox Help

I think how the page coding is done handles this ( been a while since I played with html ) but there was something like "autocomplete=off" which told the browser to not prompt for passwords

That will probably work, you basically have to trick it into redoing the password. One of those odd quirks, you save the password but no direct way to change it.
Thanks! This is really useful info for me. I'm going to review my password policy. Firefox password manager will show my passwords if I ask it to. So the passwords there are only as good as my computer logon security. Oops. Changes are needed on some things.

For financial sites I do it the old fashioned way, from memory and always manually from the keyboard. I'm sure the intelligence services would defeat my system but not the average hackers out there . Also I'd recommend separating out one's standard email from critical money oriented email's.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #50

And for anyone considering a locking mailbox, I bought mine at Home Depot for $40, it is the Gibralter Mailsafe and is a well made box. Obviously, a very determined thief could dismantle the box and carry it away, but the lock (I hope) sends a more casual thief to the next box down from mine!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
That was the funniest comment I've read today! Of course it's easy for me to laugh since I am a male.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That was the funniest comment I've read today! Of course it's easy for me to laugh since I am a male.
Heh...I laughed when I wrote it. We all need a chuckle or two from time to time....
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Yeah...And I was wondering how long it would take for, "you know who", to respond...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Heh...I laughed when I wrote it. We all need a chuckle or two from time to time....
You always treat us to a chuckle, B!

My most uncomfortable appt (for the doc, not for me) was several years ago with a nice young male resident in rotation at our family practice group. He was planning to go into sports medicine and it was laughable and obvious that he did not want to be doing pelvic exams. I think he had his eyes closed the whole time.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #55

Quote:
So did everyone else. Well, almost everyone.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #56

Quote:
keymgr.dll is not what you run, from a DOS prompt you can type

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

or you can type "control userpasswords2" , both just open the console for user administration. Standard admin tool, it doesn't show any passwords.

You are correct about SIW... at least in the new version... My older version shows the full password under heading "Secret" I should have checked. It's the 2009 version if SIW. You can still get the older version.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Easily View Saved Passwords From Many Windows Apps With PasswdFinder

Quote:
We have previously covered many tools that can easily display saved passwords from different apps to help you retrieve forgotten ones, and PasswdFinder is the newest member to the list. This highly useful free app can easily display passwords that are stored even in the deepest corners of your system, thanks to its huge list of supported applications ranging from web browsers and instant messaging apps to email clients, FTP clients, and a lot of other utilities and programs.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #58

Thanks for the Password Finder... It's a simple interface, and works great.

BTW... I found the older version of System Information Windows, that does the full password search... "Secrets" folder. It's a 2008 version. It came up with the same info as Passwdfinder. Download here:
Download SIW (System Information for Windows) 2008-04-02 - AfterDawn: Software downloads
.................................................. ..................
Going back a little bit to the Password for Email. Without the 2 step verification... in Gmail, anyone with the password, could access your Email from any phone or computer. Even worse that that, unless different passwords are used to access the browser, and ESPECIALLY Google Drive, any cloud information could be at risk.
.................................................. ..................
All of this is not meant to frighten, but to be aware. A tech savvy person could probably get to passwords in the matter of 5 minutes or less. This makes protection of the Laptop, Tablet, or Phone very important.
It also places a premium on the importance of deleting old emails.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #59

With some talk about secure passwords, here's a link to some recommendations.
http://support.google.com/accounts/b...n&answer=32040

excerpt...
Quote:
What's a smart password?
Your password is the first line of defense against cyber criminals. Follow these tips to create a smart password:

Use a unique password for all your important accounts
Use a password with a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols
Create a password that's hard for others to guess
Make sure your password recovery options are up-to-date and secure
Keep your passwords in a secret place that isn't easily visible
more on the site.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Oh! I remember that. It was kinda handy. I installed it again but find that Windows 8 doesn't like one of the "Drivers" so is somewhat disabled. Anyway, another goodie that works in all versions since Vista is "God Mode."
Quote:

Crate a new Folder and rename it (Copy and Paste this):

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.
Of course, there is also Belarc.com. Go to "Free Download," download and run the program. (It does not install.) This will tell more about a computer than anyone needs to know.