Privacy Redux

bbbamI said:
I gave up being concerned about privacy in 1975 after I experienced my first visit to a gynecologist.

That was the funniest comment I've read today! Of course it's easy for me to laugh since I am a male.

That was the funniest comment I've read today! Of course it's easy for me to laugh since I am a male.
Heh...I laughed when I wrote it. We all need a chuckle or two from time to time....:)

Last edited:
Heh...I laughed when I wrote it. We all need a chuckle or two from time to time....:)

You always treat us to a chuckle, B!

My most uncomfortable appt (for the doc, not for me) was several years ago with a nice young male resident in rotation at our family practice group. He was planning to go into sports medicine and it was laughable and obvious that he did not want to be doing pelvic exams. I think he had his eyes closed the whole time.

keymgr.dll is not what you run, from a DOS prompt you can type

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

or you can type "control userpasswords2" , both just open the console for user administration. Standard admin tool, it doesn't show any passwords.

SIW doesn't show anything more than what is stored in the registry, just easier to read. System/user passwords are not shown, just those stored by IE/outlook, which can be found easily. I allways tell people to never allow the browser to store passwords.

You are correct about SIW... at least in the new version... My older version shows the full password under heading "Secret" I should have checked. It's the 2009 version if SIW. You can still get the older version.

Easily View Saved Passwords From Many Windows Apps With PasswdFinder

We have previously covered many tools that can easily display saved passwords from different apps to help you retrieve forgotten ones, and PasswdFinder is the newest member to the list. This highly useful free app can easily display passwords that are stored even in the deepest corners of your system, thanks to its huge list of supported applications ranging from web browsers and instant messaging apps to email clients, FTP clients, and a lot of other utilities and programs.

Thanks for the Password Finder... It's a simple interface, and works great.

BTW... I found the older version of System Information Windows, that does the full password search... "Secrets" folder. It's a 2008 version. It came up with the same info as Passwdfinder. Download here:
Download SIW (System Information for Windows) 2008-04-02 - AfterDawn: Software downloads
Going back a little bit to the Password for Email. Without the 2 step verification... in Gmail, anyone with the password, could access your Email from any phone or computer. Even worse that that, unless different passwords are used to access the browser, and ESPECIALLY Google Drive, any cloud information could be at risk.
All of this is not meant to frighten, but to be aware. A tech savvy person could probably get to passwords in the matter of 5 minutes or less. This makes protection of the Laptop, Tablet, or Phone very important.
It also places a premium on the importance of deleting old emails.

With some talk about secure passwords, here's a link to some recommendations.
http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=32040

excerpt...
What's a smart password?
Your password is the first line of defense against cyber criminals. Follow these tips to create a smart password:

Use a unique password for all your important accounts
Use a password with a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols
Create a password that's hard for others to guess
Make sure your password recovery options are up-to-date and secure
Keep your passwords in a secret place that isn't easily visible

more on the site.

Oh! I remember that. It was kinda handy. I installed it again but find that Windows 8 doesn't like one of the "Drivers" so is somewhat disabled. Anyway, another goodie that works in all versions since Vista is "God Mode."
Crate a new Folder and rename it (Copy and Paste this):

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

Of course, there is also Belarc.com. Go to "Free Download," download and run the program. (It does not install.) This will tell more about a computer than anyone needs to know.

Regarding Firefox, I found that if you use a master password:
Use a master password: Firefox can protect sensitive information such as saved passwords and certificates by encrypting them using a master password. If you create a master password, each time you start Firefox, it will ask you to enter the password the first time it needs to access a certificate or stored password.
Hopefully none of the downloads mentioned in this thread will reveal this master password. If they do I'd like to know.

My most uncomfortable appt (for the doc, not for me) was several years ago with a nice young male resident in rotation at our family practice group. He was planning to go into sports medicine and it was laughable and obvious that he did not want to be doing pelvic exams. I think he had his eyes closed the whole time.
I wonder if this was how the poor guy looked when performing the exam.

6875262-terrified-young-man-hides-his-face.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom