Join Early Retirement Today

Problem dragging images into Microsoft word
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Problem dragging images into Microsoft word

Got an annoying problem with Word 2000. When I drag a .jpg image into a document, it puts the file name there instead of the image. .bmp's are okay, but .tif's also fail.

Extensive googling shows a few other people with this problem but no solutions.

Insert/picture/from file works, but I have a lot of pictures to inserts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Drag and drop all the photos to the Clipboard, or some other neutral app that correctly does it. Then save that file and import it into word or cut and paste the whole heap from the clipboard to word.

Orrr...install openoffice and use open office writer, which does this no problem. Then save the file in word format or RTF and reload it into Word.

I dont have a running copy of Word anymore, so cant help with any direct workarounds.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

How about control-c and paste-special?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Open Office? Free and IMHO beats MS Office. But then I also use Foxfire and Thunderbird which are also freeware.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I can get images in by opening in another app and copying and pasting from there, but for the project I was doing today, it would have been simpler to drag and drop. I'm done for now, and perhaps I'll reinstall at some point. I know it used to work fine.

I like OpenCalc, so I might abandon Word also.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The newest Office I have is XP, and it was getting sort of long in the tooth compared to Openoffice. I couldnt see karfing up hundreds of dollars for a new one. Didnt have much trouble making the transition. But then again I've gone through a few word processing systems in the last 30 years.

None of these newfangled features compares to the first standalone word processor I used that had a daisy wheel printer with controllable pitch and yaw, which enabled me to change the 8 page papers I felt like writing into the 10 page papers my english teacher wanted.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #7

Hard to switch from MS Office Pro to Open Office. I did it several times (like quitting smoking), but this time, it will stick. I had to just go "cold turkey" and uninstall MS Office. So far no problems with any of the many spreadsheets and couple of word documents in Open Office. Another cheap alternative is Star Office but it is $69 for the full product.

CFB-The early 80's trying to do tax returns with a Apple 2e along with a Daisy Wheel and Dot Matrix Printer -- must have gone through a tree a day and aged 20 years in 5. Those were not the good old days of computing.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Hard to switch from MS Office Pro to Open Office. I did it several times (like quitting smoking), but this time, it will stick. I had to just go "cold turkey" and uninstall MS Office. So far no problems with any of the many spreadsheets and couple of word documents in Open Office. Another cheap alternative is Star Office but it is $69 for the full product.
Isn't Star Office just a modified version of OpenOffice?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

R Wood - what I was using was an $8000 commercial standalone WPS whose name I forget. It was pretty slick. Not long after that it was DECwriters, Wang and Syntrex dedicated WPS.

The stuff on PC's sort of stunk. I worked with two other guys in the late 70's to develop a CP/M based word processor that eventually became a technical writers word processing system and ran a distant #3 to Wordperfect and Wordstar for a couple of years. Still, until wordperfect matured the bigger dedicated boxes were still the way to go.

Staroffice and Openoffice are well rooted. Both are derived from a german company's product which Sun bought some years ago. Basically it was cheaper to buy the company than to buy a copy of Microsoft Office for all of the employees at Sun. Sun eventually released a version of the product into the open source community and that became openoffice. Sun (and others) contribute to openoffice enhancements and bug fixes, and occasionally Sun takes a snapshot of Openoffice, brands it, and sells that commercially with actual tech support.

Another interesting option if you're not into 99,000,000 features is google apps. Their word processor and spreadsheet are fairly dang decent, although I wouldnt count on either being able to execute word/excel macros. Sort of interesting to be able to access "your apps" from any machine and have your documents and spreadsheets online where you can access them from anywhere. Free.

We signed up for a domain name with google, ten bucks a year, and that gives us gmail accounts in the "myname@mydomainname.com", access to all the google apps, a home page, and its all google run. Nice.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I wrote my thesis on a mainframe computer "word processor" that worked like this:

The entire document was written in all uppercase, like this:

THE STUFF ON PC'S SORT OF STUNK. I WORKED WITH TWO OTHER GUYS IN THE LATE 70'S TO DEVELOP A CP/M BASED WORD PROCESSOR THAT EVENTUALLY

and the computer would change the case, etc. For spell checking, it would print a list of all the misspelled words.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

We signed up for a domain name with google, ten bucks a year, and that gives us gmail accounts in the "myname@mydomainname.com", access to all the google apps, a home page, and its all google run. Nice.
How do you find this offering? I couldn't see it from gmail. I have heffernans.org domain I use for a family web site but I stopped using it for email - running my own sendmail was a pain and I didn't like what my ISP offered. If I could point to google for mail on that domain and use their apps to read it I might start using it again..
Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #12

Google Apps
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

That be it. It works fine with your own separately registered domain as well, you just cut and paste a big heap of glop that they provide you into some of the fields in the domain information on the other provider, and that redirects everything to google apps. In that case you dont have to pay google for anything, the 'google apps' service is free.

They're a couple of bucks more expensive than other el cheapo domain names, but being able to have it autorenew through google checkout and have a domain, email, all the apps, file storage, etc...was worth it.

Theres a nice administration panel for the domain and apps, what all the domain users 'see' as their default pages, what they can and cant access, and theres even a forum for figuring out some of the weird little glitches, of which there are several. They sort of 'hide' a lot of capabilities in their efforts to simplify the administration and management, and some things are simply not available. For example, they dont offer any sort of ftp service to or from the file store in your domain.

This is where you can access the documentation storage facility and the basic word/spreadsheet/presentation apps. This stuff is free also.
http://docs.google.com/