Problem Getting Internet on Home Wireless Network

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My daughter is in Sweden right now, and she's just set up a wireless network at her grandparent's house. The network seems to work OK, but she is unable to get the Internet sharing working.

The broadband modem hooks into the phone system, and if you plug a computer into that modem with an ethernet cable, you can access the Internet. She's gotten the wireless network working, but can't connect to the Internet through the wireless connection.

She's done a lot of googling, but no success yet. I don't have enough info yet to say exactly where her problem lies.

Any good online step-by-step guides that might help her? I used this link when setting up mine, http://www.homenethelp.com/ics, but it seems to be al ittle out of date.

Thanks,

When you write that wireless network is working, I presume you mean that she can enter "192.168.1.1" in the address field of the browser and reach the router?

The router could be working for hard-wired, but until you login to the router (via the patch cord) and turn on wireless option, it probably is not working. And you set up the security for the wireless to use and you set up the laptop to use the same security and you even set it up so that only certain MAC addresses are allowed. Etc.

I just set up a printserver and needed to change my firewall software to allow TCP/UDP traffic to/from the printserver on the network. TCP traffic alone did not allow it to work properly.

As I recall, I found some good instructions from some university IT depts for students who had just moved into dorm rooms. I'm sure you can find the same URLs.

Thanks, LOL. My understanding is that she can view files from shared directories on the other computer. She'll follow setup instructions, get to the dialog below, click Apply, and nothing will happen, and no Internet.

She gets the same result if she intentionally enters the wrong password.

She speaks pretty good Swedish, but it makes everything harder to have to slog through instructions like this:

"7. Om det står en adress på raden IP adress som börjar med siffrorna 192.168.0 så är det korrekt och ni kan fortsätta med inställningen av routern nedan. Om det inte står en adress som börjar på 192.168.0 så återgå till steg 1 och kontrollera åter så att alla inställningar på datorn är korrekta."

Attachments

• RouterSetup.jpg
    RouterSetup.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RouterSetup.jpg_thumb
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
Despite using DSL, I would suggest she try using a dynamic IP address (i.e. DHCP) and not that PPPEoP thing-ie.

My Swedish friend says things work pretty much exactly as they do in the US. So contact the Swedish ISP for help, after all that's what you pay them for.

The ISP may only issue one IP address per physical line and may not allow multiple computers to share. Try turning off all the pc's, reboot the broadband modem and the router, then turn on the wireless machine and see if it can connect to the network.

The router may also not be allowing connection by wireless users to the internet. Can I see the config screens from the other areas, like LAN, wireless, DHCP and any 'rules' or 'parental control' screens?

And I hope everyone appreciates that a raft of Swedish comments came to mind and none were posted.

Am I correct in assuming that she's not really using "username@yourisp.net" for the user name? I figured that was substituted for her real user name for the purposes of posting the screen cap.

Similarly for the ip address on that screen. That should be the WAN IP assigned address from the ISP, and not her local IP LAN address.

Back
Top Bottom