Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Wonder what would happen if Dad dealt with 3 or 4 different banks. Would each expect Dad to create a POA on their form?
Based on my limited experience, yes they would.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You have a computer, right? Do you have a scanner?

I scan checks and deposit them at Ally Bank frequently. Maybe his bank has upgraded to receiving scanned images for deposit? Lots of banks are going this way.
I was about to ask if his bank allows this. In some ways it seems easier than futzing around with a cellphone app.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

While I have never heard of a requirement for a POA to be on a specific financial institution's form, I know certain institutions can be picky. When we initially went to buy great aunt's health insurance from BCBS, they said they would not accept the POA we had. I read the POA and thought they were wrong and pushed back and insisted that the sales people to refer the issue to their legal department, which decided that the POA was sufficient for us to purchase a policy.

I frequently find that when dealing with large companies you can frequently get what you want if you insist on it and are reasonable.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
Mailing the checks should not be a problem. You can add "For deposit only" above your signature, if you like.
I would absolutely write that on the check, along with the account number, and bank name. If the check is lost, it should keep someone else from cashing it, so you'd have a better chance of the original sender cutting you another one. I always thought that the name had to go on top, but from a bit of google searching it may not matter. 5 Ways to Endorse a Check - wikiHow, if that's accurate.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #25
Administrator

Another frustrated POA holder here. The only bank that has accepted a durable POA in our experience is USAA. They are also the only bank to accept a check made out to another and endorsed to me without deep back room interrogation or having to beg the branch manager for a one time exception.

We have been only able to resolve similar issues by adding the persons name to the account.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #26

DW is dealing with all of this now but with the advantage of dealing with FIL's local bank. I'd suggest talking with a manager at your local bank or his boss if necessary - it should be possible to open an account in your father's name since you have the POA.

Also, they should not need the original POA. A copy, yes, the original, no. Perhaps they need to view the original but we were emphatically told to never relinquish possession of that since it is now irreplaceable.

BTW, it is not a good idea to commingle his funds with yours. Yes you can later show where the money went but that can entail a lot of expensive auditing work down the road.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another frustrated POA holder here. The only bank that has accepted a durable POA in our experience is USAA. They are also the only bank to accept a check made out to another and endorsed to me without deep back room interrogation or having to beg the branch manager for a one time exception.

We have been only able to resolve similar issues by adding the persons name to the account.
Same here......the only one that has accepted POA was xyz (forgot which but only one institution) and even then they required an affidavit (on their own form) signed by both the power giver and the attorney getting the power........which obviously would have been impossible if the former were incompetent, which fortunately,they weren't.

Somewhere I believe I have read that you may be able to force an institution to accept the generic POA but you might have to file a lawsuit (and win) to achieve that.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

When my mother was in declining health I was living on another continent. Her bank manager visited her at home and in a convalescent facility in my presence. She did all the paperwork to set up a joint account without ever having to visit the bank. She refused to have a POA, though.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #29

These issues are nothing new. See this old thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru....html#msg26095
Old 10-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: POA acceptance at banks.

This CAN be a problem. Sometimes, branch personnel are not familiar with the correct process. I suggest politely asking to speak to the branch manger.

I had no problem with a copy of a POA for my mother at Wells Fargo. They faxed it to their legal department and in a few minutes they received authorization to add me to an existing account, as well as set up new accounts. No additional paperwork was needed.

I did have to deal with an IRA account separately by mail. Apparently, the IRA department doesn't speak to the branches and I had to send a copy of the POA.
Likes_to_Lurk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #31

I very rarely go to the bank, maybe 5 times in the last 20 years. Mail, online, or cash machine work flawlessly. You can deposit checks at the cash machine even if it is not your bank. Some will give you a picture of the check as a receipt.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found my POA to be almost worthless when my mother was suffering with advanced dementia. The fact is that no one is required to accept a POA. I had to obtain a court ordered conservatorship which places the full weight of the law behind the conservator.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I found my POA to be almost worthless when my mother was suffering with advanced dementia. The fact is that no one is required to accept a POA. I had to obtain a court ordered conservatorship which places the full weight of the law behind the conservator.
Wow, score one for small local banks I guess. The branch manager of the one FIL dealt with and that DW drove him to many times is straight out of It's a Wonderful Life and has been great to deal with. Probably little doubt that he knew FIL and DW personally for years was a factor in greasing the wheels. They have been terrific to deal with through the whole ordeal, zero complaints and many compliments for them.