Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Problems using ROKU away from home
Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Problems using ROKU away from home

Several times I have tried using ROKU while away from home. Only once have I been successful being able to get it connected and running. Anytime I have tried it in a hotel where you have to logon thru the hotel's wireless network, I can't get the ROKU to work. The one time I was successful was when we rented a house in FLA last winter, we were able to access their wireless network by typing in the wifi name and password using prompts displayed via ROKU on the TV screen.

I have spent some time online today trying to find out how to make the connection work when staying at a hotel. I understand there is a "Hotel & Dorm Connect" step under the "Settings">"Network">"Set up new wireless connection". I saw several YouTube videos that presented conflicting information. One video gave instructions that required a laptop in addition to the ROKU. Another video required a laptop but also software on the laptop that created a wifi hotspot. The software was about $30. Another video added a Hoo Too portable router and laptop, (assuming some sort of router software installed on laptop.

It all seems very confusing and inconsistent from one video to the next. Anyone out there with experience what is really needed to get the ROKU to work at a hotel? Any link to a good article or website that give clear concise directions for this? I don't have any problems with the actual connection of HDMI cable etc., just additional equipment required beyond the standard ROKU equipment. BTW I have a ROKU2 box that is supposed to have the "Hotel & Dorm Connect" capability.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Hootoo approach would be the path of least resistance since you could get it working at home, and as a bonus have an easier time sharing the internet connection with your other devices.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The Hootoo approach would be the path of least resistance since you could get it working at home, and as a bonus have an easier time sharing the internet connection with your other devices.
That HooToo device is new to me. The online description is confusing. Does it allow you to stream an iOS device display directly to a TV similar to airplay over Apple TV? So, for example could you play Amazon Prime or Netflix from the phone to a TV?
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

You can think of a Hootoo as a router. You connect to it like you do any other router and it works like any other router as long as it is connected to another router that is connected to the internet. When you turn it on you would access it using a browser and through it connect to the hotel LAN. Once that connection is made now you can connect to the Hootoo from any device and it'll work again just like any other router. There is of course a little bit of overhead but very little.

Now some might feel that the convenience of being able to have all of your devices except one connect automatically without having to go through some rigmarole on each one to connect to the hotel land isn't a big deal. I suppose that's a matter of opinion. From my standpoint I'm looking at it as a bit of marital peace insurance. Regardless there is another Advantage. There are some venues that charge for Access by the device. with the Hootoo you should be able to connect the Hootoo to the venue LAN and then share that connection among multiple devices through the Hootoo. It should save me roughly $80 over the next couple of months based on what I've heard from other folks who have used it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

I have successfully used my Roku in a hotel on two occasions. On one, I was able to do so by logging in to the hotel wifi. On the other, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get logged into the hotel wifi through the Roku. I downloaded a free hotspot to my laptop and then logged the Roku in with that.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have successfully used my Roku in a hotel on two occasions. On one, I was able to do so by logging in to the hotel wifi. On the other, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get logged into the hotel wifi through the Roku. I downloaded a free hotspot to my laptop and then logged the Roku in with that.
MissMolly, thanks for the idea about a downloaded hotspot. Can you tell me the name and how to find it?
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
What does Roku give you that having a laptop doesn't ?

Couldn't you hook the laptop to the tv via hdmi cable and see netflix on the tv ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
MissMolly, thanks for the idea about a downloaded hotspot. Can you tell me the name and how to find it?
I don't know the name of it. I Googled "free hotspots" or something like that. When I look at it, it just says "MissMolly's hotspot". Sorry I can't find more info on it.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 09-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
What does Roku give you that having a laptop doesn't ?

Couldn't you hook the laptop to the tv via hdmi cable and see netflix on the tv ?
It gives you access to everything on your Roku. Netflix, Amazon Prime, all the dozens of other channels I have on Roku and most especially my Plex server at home.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

And I already pack enough stuff when I go thru airports. I don't want to have to carry around an HDMI cable too.