Join Early Retirement Today

Problems with Spare Tire
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Problems with Spare Tire

Since my Tesla M3 doesn't come with a spare, I bought one that Tesla forum members say would fit (Hyundai Genesis spare (145/80/18)).

I put it on the rear, and everything seemed to fit fine.

I drove slowly out the driveway, but I heard noises that sounded like some marbles rolling around inside something, or like raindrops hitting the car. Not loud. I immediately aborted the test.

I then considered that perhaps the lug nuts weren't tight enough. I loosened them, raised the car, got them somewhat tight while shifting the wheel around, lowered the car and tightened them as much as I could with my cross lug wrench.

I drove out the driveway and had the same noises.

Any idea what's happening? My theory is that the lug nuts aren't right for that tire, and so it's shifting a little bit as the wheel turns.*

*I checked and the conical section of the nut matches the conical section of the lug nut hole perfectly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It that rim the same shape and or form as the original rim??
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

On many cars there is a center hole in the wheel and part of the wheel bearing or axle pokes through. If there is a part that pokes through on the Tesla but the wheel hole is too small, then the wheel will not bottom on the brake disk, will just be sort of floating against the wheel bearing. Very bad things could happen. Check the hole diameter in the OEM wheel and the hole diameter in your spare wheel. You should also be able to feel whether the wheel is bottoming solidly or not before you run the lug nuts down.

If this is the issue and the fit is close, you could probably get by opening up the wheel with a die grinder and a carbide burr. Or even a cylindrical grinding wheel chucked into a drill motor, though this will be slow going and may eat grinding wheels.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd jack the tire off the ground and spin it by hand. It might be rubbing lightly on the brake hardware. You could also roll the tire across the ground and see if something inside is loose.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
It that rim the same shape and or form as the original rim??
No, but others say that this wheel works okay.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'd jack the tire off the ground and spin it by hand. It might be rubbing lightly on the brake hardware. You could also roll the tire across the ground and see if something inside is loose.
I did the latter (and shook and bounced it), and it was silent.

My garage floor tilts slightly (on purpose), so I don't want to put the car in neutral.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
On many cars there is a center hole in the wheel and part of the wheel bearing or axle pokes through. If there is a part that pokes through on the Tesla but the wheel hole is too small, then the wheel will not bottom on the brake disk, will just be sort of floating against the wheel bearing. Very bad things could happen. Check the hole diameter in the OEM wheel and the hole diameter in your spare wheel. You should also be able to feel whether the wheel is bottoming solidly or not before you run the lug nuts down.

If this is the issue and the fit is close, you could probably get by opening up the wheel with a die grinder and a carbide burr. Or even a cylindrical grinding wheel chucked into a drill motor, though this will be slow going and may eat grinding wheels.
Good idea, but the whole on the spare is larger.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Super futuristic car and you went out and bought a spare? Lots of cars don’t include spare tires now days. I agree the lugs probably don’t fit the wheel. You shouldn’t be able to move it around the way you described. The wheel should pilot on the hub and the lugs should have conical shape that matches the bolt holes so everything is self centering.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Super futuristic car and you went out and bought a spare? Lots of cars don’t include spare tires now days. I agree the lugs probably don’t fit the wheel. You shouldn’t be able to move it around the way you described. The wheel should pilot on the hub and the lugs should have conical shape that matches the bolt holes so everything is self centering.
Wheels are either hub centered or lug centered. If the lug holes and lug nuts are both conical, it should work well enough for a spare.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter;2355215[B
]On many cars there is a center hole in the wheel and part of the wheel bearing or axle pokes through. If there is a part that pokes through on the Tesla but the wheel hole is too small, then the wheel will not bottom on the brake disk, will just be sort of floating against the wheel bearing. Very bad things could happen. Check the hole diameter in the OEM wheel and the hole diameter in your spare wheel. You should also be able to feel whether the wheel is bottoming solidly or not before you run the lug nuts down.[/B]

This is why I asked if the that rim is the exact same. ^ this is what can happen if not.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Good idea, but the whole on the spare is larger.
That could be the issue though.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry but I don't have time to read the thread but hope it can shed some light on your situation.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre....117251/page-4

Here are some highlights.

I got a Hyundai Genesis spare but the lugs holes are slightly less than 14mm. I reamed it out to 5/16 and now it fits. Also I made a jack adapter for the VW/Audi jack by cutting down a streetrays aluminum jack pad.

Gene, Thanks for the great information. I am new to TMC so I hope I am doing this correctly. I am looking at getting a Hyundai Genesis 18". However there seems to be a number of different options (e.g., 10-16, 10-18, etc. HYUNDAI GENESIS SEDAN OEM 18" 135/80/18 DONUT SPARE TIRE). Which one did you purchase and did you have an issue with the 10mm brake rotor bolt?
The specs you mention 10-16 and 10-18 I have no knowledge of. I simply bought on ebay: HYUNDAI GENESIS SEDAN OEM 18" 135/80/18 DONUT SPARE. Maybe someone else can comment.

In regard to the 10mm bolt securing the rotor to the hub, I simply carry a 10mm wrench to remove the bolt should I need to mount the spare. I have been a pro mechanic over 40 years. That 10mm bolt is not necessary, it is simply there for manufacture and service convenience so that if the wheels and calipers are removed, the rotor will not slip off. Once you bolt down a wheel to the hub in which the rotor is sandwiched between hub and wheel, that rotor ain't goin' nowhere! Most cars do not even have a rotor bolt nor screw.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Why aren't you buying an actual Tesla OEM wheel/tire? This hardly seems like an area to play around with, especially considering the problems you and others have seen trying to make something else fit.

People are drilling out their wheels and "hoping" they are doing it right? That is, ummm, disturbing?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Another issue with spare tires are with the drive axles. If a vehicle has a limited slip drive axle(s), the tires must be the same exact size. If not, you may burn out the limited slip in the differential. I have no idea what Tesla's axles are mechanically like.

Notice how Jeep owners have 5 equal size tires on them? That's why.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

^ yes that too. I was told that from a machinic.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
gone traveling

I understand buying a spare.
We are having 1-2 flats per year while only driving 4000 miles per year.
Can you say: what is that construction zone you live in?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why aren't you buying an actual Tesla OEM wheel/tire?
-ERD50
Even this wheel/tire is $300.

You can buy four OEM wheels/tires for $2,000.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Another issue with spare tires are with the drive axles. If a vehicle has a limited slip drive axle(s), the tires must be the same exact size. If not, you may burn out the limited slip in the differential. I have no idea what Tesla's axles are mechanically like.

Notice how Jeep owners have 5 equal size tires on them? That's why.
This may be the issue. The spare is 35 mm less in diameter, and someone suggested that the noises I'm hearing are the car trying to resolve that.

Can't believe I wrote "whole" instead of "hole."
Old 01-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to suggest V-sit ups and planks, but never mind...
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

EVs like a Tesla have a limited slip differential? I need to study about that.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote