Join Early Retirement Today

Procrastination
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Procrastination

One thing I like about retirement is that I have control over my time. However, there is a temptation to procrastinate. I find myself balancing my desire to not be 'on the clock' with the my need to efficiently get certain things done.

Whatever my procrastination tendencies, I don't match this fellow who wrote the the WSJ yesterday:

Quote:
Jan. 13, 2014 3:47 p.m. ET
As a recovering procrastinator myself, I found Cari Tuna's "How to Put off Work—Constructively" (Career Journal, Sept. 30, 2008) fascinating, especially in regard to Stanford University philosophy professor John Perry's views on "structured procrastination." Her advice on managing procrastination positively is insightful, and I intend on trying it if the need arises.
My Delayed Thoughts On Procrastination

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll get back to you in a minute

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

I am the queen of procrastination. I can only imagine how bad it will get once I'm retired. Then again, I'll have 40+ years to get stuff done
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I am the queen of procrastination. I can only imagine how bad it will get once I'm retired. Then again, I'll have 40+ years to get stuff done
Well Live, if you are like me, it will only get worse, and slower. The necessary things I used to do after work, take me all day now to get done. Had a defective light switch in my bedroom that should have been replaced a month ago. A 20 minute job, probably took close to an hour and a half today to complete because of my frequent breaks while completing the task.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to use a time management system called Autofocus (developed by Mark Forster - who is a retired life coach) based on structured procrastination - it wasn't a bug, it was a feature. I got a ton done using it but always felt like it was the smaller, lower priority stuff, not the big things that I really wanted to make myself do. I still use it though occasionally (it really does get you going on stuff that you've put off for awhile or are avoiding), as well as many other tricks to make myself do stuff I don't really want to do - things I want to "have done" and not so much actually "do". I have to block time for the important stuff and treat it like a job.
Autofocus System - Get Everything Done

It sort of annoys me that I could be so conscientious working for someone else but with things that are truly important to ME, I will often procrastinate. Obviously, my priorities are wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
I used to use a time management system called Autofocus ... developed by Mark Forster
Autofocus System - Get Everything Done
I was just going to post this method! At first I was having a hard time trying to figure out Autofocus just by reading his descriptions. Then, watching the video interview helped.

Autofocus does help to lower resistance to "starting". Sometimes, just starting with something you want to do will give you momentum to do other things that you want to "have done".

Kindest regards.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I was one of the original beta-testers of AF and was very active on the forum back in 2009. Good times. My work schedule was so crazy at the time (was working 2 full-time jobs that year) that it's amazing that I got anything done outside of work, but I did get a heck of a lot done personally too using that system. IMO, it would work very well for a retired / semi-retired person that doesn't want their days (and weeks!) to just drift by since you basically do what feels right to do in the moment with respect to your energy levels and level of interest.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't bear to think that I worked and saved all this time just to sort of drift from day to day not doing the things that are important to me. Not saying that anyone does that, but I do know I tend to do that when I take my regular sabbaticals unless I impose some kind of structure.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #8

I intended to write this yesterday.

Don't do anything today that you can put off 'till tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
I was just going to post this method! At first I was having a hard time trying to figure out Autofocus just by reading his descriptions. Then, watching the video interview helped. Autofocus does help to lower resistance to "starting". Sometimes, just starting with something you want to do will give you momentum to do other things that you want to "have done". Kindest regards.
A belt strap back in the day was the most highly motivating tool to keep me from procrastinating on chores around the house as a lad. Since I still am not a big fan of pain, I imagine it would work again. If I truly need to get things done in a day, I skip my morning routine of paper and coffee. I just shower and get rolling. For me anyways, something about starting the day sitting and reading begets more sitting and reading.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
For me anyways, something about starting the day sitting and reading begets more sitting and reading.
+1.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #11

I have a master's degree in Procrastination. When I retire, I plan to get my Ph.D in Procrastination. Unless there is any w*rk required to do so, in which case I'll put it off for a while. Or maybe forever.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
For me anyways, something about starting the day sitting and reading begets more sitting and reading.
I've noticed that tendency in myself as well. As for the other stuff, it's usually too cold, or too hot, or rainy, or there's something interesting here to read or....

And besides, I can do it tomorrow since I don't have to work.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd do something, but I'm busy, umm, doing, ummm, something.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #14

The 1998 meeting of the International Procrastinators Club has been postponed again.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #15

A friend pointed me to this - if you have a serious problem with it
How to Beat Procrastination | Wait But Why
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #16

Calico: Great Answer!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Calico: Great Answer!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm way to busy maintaining my "things to do" spreadsheet (which keeps getting longer for some reason) to have any time to procrastinate

Tags
procrastination