Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Professor Yarrow emailed me and said he'd respond in the next couple of days. So lets avoid burning him in effigy until he has a chance of to respond. Or at the very least make some substantive criticisms.
OK, I'll wait until then.

These people live in a world of their own and don't like to be told they are wrong, so if he catches wind that we do not agree with what he says, he probably won't want to face that criticism. It's easier just to write articles from your college office than to put yourself in the real world.

But maybe I'm wrong, so I'll be reasonable and wait a few days to see if there is any response that will change my mind.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Professor Yarrow emailed me and said he'd respond in the next couple of days. So lets avoid burning him in effigy until he has a chance of to respond. Or at the very least make some substantive criticisms.
His article is a response. It was the purpose of writing it, to respond with his retarded uninformed unrealistic I'm-smarter-than-you-so-I'll-tell-you-how-to-live somewhat controversial opinion on people who retire before they die at their desk early. He's already spelled out what he has to say, in detail.

However, if Americans retired later, either staying in their current jobs or taking up "encore careers" - what Marc Freedman of Civic Ventures calls do-good, later-life jobs - we could significantly slow the growth of our multitrillion-dollar national debt, which is largely driven by rising Medicare and Social Security costs (as yesterday's Social Security trustees' report makes abundantly clear). We also could keep more people in a labor force that would no longer be growing appreciably if not for immigrants.

Significantly slow the growth of our multitrillion-dollar national debt...blah blah blah most caused by paying for old people. Really? All right. There's a question buried in there, let's see if we can find it. A multitrillion-dollar national debt is beyond any number that people can easily wrap their minds around. We're getting into sums that are analogous to the number of planets, atoms, and other things people grow beards to study. The number of people in America who are at the age to retire (for the sake of arguement here we'll say 55+, the earliest age in the article mentioned of people who are not multimillionaires living in Silicon Valley) is a small percentage of the whole. The number of people of an age to retire and can afford to retire is even smaller. The number of people who are of an age to retire, can afford to retire, yet would still be healthy enough to willingly continue working for another 7-17 years is what? Itsy bitsy, at best. That's like holding my index finger and thumb that far apart, for you visual learners out there.

And you want to significantly reduce a multitrillion-dollar debt that way, do you? Do you think the taxes collected would even cover the over $12 billion that went to the Navy's aviation fund? That's a lot of money you could save in one area to spend on health care. You have to overcome the amount being spent before you can put a dent into what's already owed. Or do we just want to feel better about seeing a smaller number that the nation's in debt for instead of actually getting rid of the debt? Because if we want to keep providing unrealistic answers to solve a problem, you keep up the articles and I'll see about selling some oceanfront property in Arizona to those 40 year-old millionaires in Silicon Valley who want to retire early. Imagine the taxes they could levy on that?!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
His article is a response. It was the purpose of writing it, to respond with his retarded uninformed greedy selfish I'm-smarter-than-you-so-I'll-tell-you-how-to-live somewhat controversial opinion on people who retire before they die at their desk early. He's already spelled out what he has to say, and any response is just going to further establish what he's already written.
Thanks for keeping an open mind
Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Thanks for keeping an open mind
My great uncle served in Vietnam as a radioman. He's about to retire in his late 50's.
My grandfather on my dad's side served in the Navy for some time. He retired in his 50's.
My grandfather on my mother's side served in the Air Force for some time, he retired in his late 50's.
My father's about to retire from 30 years in the Navy. He'll be in his late 40's.
I'm in the Navy and plan on taking periods of retirement here and there, and still retiring much earlier than 65.

The man wants to call three generations of my family unpatriotic, especially after volunteering significant periods of their lives to serve their country, and I'm supposed to sit here and smile and nod politely over it in case I offend?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

No sir you are not, and I sincerely thank you and your family's service....

In fact, I hope the professor addresses your family's "selfish" retirement first.

I'll remove my foot from my mouth now.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I suspect that the vast majority will not be able to retire before 62... and many will not be able to retire until full SS retirement 66.x.

Too much debt, too little preparation, and a preference for spending money.

Working longer will not solve the basic SS and Medicare short-fall. People are living longer and will reach a point in time when they cannot work.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Translation: They don't make Goonies like they used to...
The only thing I could figure, was they had to hire 2 people to attempt to determine what I did to stay soooo busy for 8 hours a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I suspect that the vast majority will not be able to retire before 62... and many will not be able to retire until full SS retirement 66.x.

Too much debt, too little preparation, and a preference for spending money.
I have two sibling who have "Too much debt, too little preparation, and a preference for spending money", and neither plan on retiring before their full SS retirement age. In fact both plan on needing to work beyond full SS age! It's a sad (but true) fact of life for some......thank God I don't meet those qualifications!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The only thing I could figure, was they had to hire 2 people to attempt to determine what I did to stay soooo busy for 8 hours a day!
Maybe they had to do a lot more repairs than they originally thought
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #49

it's too late for me - I already demonstrate my selfishness and unpatriotism every time I take a tax deduction.....
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Where is the form to sign for being unpatriotic and retire early?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

It's nice to see someone else taking the heat this time! Hopefully Yarrow will show up in person. I don't agree with everything Yarrow said, or his tone, but I don't think you should dismiss him without some thought. A larger percentage of the population is trying to retire than ever before. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out, but it will cause some problems.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
It's nice to see someone else taking the heat this time! Hopefully Yarrow will show up in person. I don't agree with everything Yarrow said, or his tone, but I don't think you should dismiss him without some thought. A larger percentage of the population is trying to retire than ever before. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out, but it will cause some problems.
Only among the jealous and spiteful.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #53

What! Every other thread on this board is doom and gloom how people wont have enough. They will be eating cat food and health care expenses will be sky rocketing.

Yet now someone is worried about too many people retiring early..LOL make up your minds.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

He has a bigger problem than retirees

Many occupations force early retirement, public safety, most technical careers. He will have to start those by changing employers. Good luck with that. Most just consider them expenses, and rising ones. Since few have the capability to early retire though, this is really a non-problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #55

I would like Professor Yarrow to research and determine the percentage of those people who continue to work (non RE people) that are doing so because they are unselfish and patriotic.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I say let the Prof work until he's 70, maybe 75. He's probably also in the hate America camp. Never can satisfy some people.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
.... They will be eating cat food ....
Not me, have you seen the prices for Fancy Feast 3 oz. cans lately? "Fluffy" tells me it is up 15%.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
Didn't we do this before? You claim that early retirement is selfish - but you give passes for certain behavior - military/police/fire service. Or for behavior that is 'beneficial' -such as volunteering. Professor Yarrow doesn't give those passes. Only paid employment is 'contributing'.

You said that a good withheld is harm. So I worked 60 hours last week, but I could have worked 70. So that ten hours is harm. Where does it end?

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

DOOD, this article is meant simply for the 90% of baby boomers that have to work until they die because they didn't plan. Now they get to feel patriotic and unselfish. Chill everybody, it's just opiate for the masses.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Not me, have you seen the prices for Fancy Feast 3 oz. cans lately? "Fluffy" tells me it is up 15%.
Fluffly could wind up on the rotisserie.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote