Prof says ER is selfish, unpatriotic

It's nice to see someone else taking the heat this time! Hopefully Yarrow will show up in person. I don't agree with everything Yarrow said, or his tone, but I don't think you should dismiss him without some thought. A larger percentage of the population is trying to retire than ever before. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out, but it will cause some problems.

It's nice to see someone else taking the heat this time! Hopefully Yarrow will show up in person. I don't agree with everything Yarrow said, or his tone, but I don't think you should dismiss him without some thought. A larger percentage of the population is trying to retire than ever before. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out, but it will cause some problems.

Only among the jealous and spiteful.

What! Every other thread on this board is doom and gloom how people wont have enough. They will be eating cat food and health care expenses will be sky rocketing.

Yet now someone is worried about too many people retiring early..LOL make up your minds.

Last edited:
He has a bigger problem than retirees

Many occupations force early retirement, public safety, most technical careers. He will have to start those by changing employers. Good luck with that. Most just consider them expenses, and rising ones. Since few have the capability to early retire though, this is really a non-problem.

I say let the Prof work until he's 70, maybe 75. He's probably also in the hate America camp. Never can satisfy some people.

Didn't we do this before? You claim that early retirement is selfish - but you give passes for certain behavior - military/police/fire service. Or for behavior that is 'beneficial' -such as volunteering. Professor Yarrow doesn't give those passes. Only paid employment is 'contributing'.

You said that a good withheld is harm. So I worked 60 hours last week, but I could have worked 70. So that ten hours is harm. Where does it end?

DOOD, this article is meant simply for the 90% of baby boomers that have to work until they die because they didn't plan. Now they get to feel patriotic and unselfish. Chill everybody, it's just opiate for the masses. :)

DOOD, this article is meant simply for the 90% of baby boomers that have to work until they die because they didn't plan. Now they get to feel patriotic and unselfish. Chill everybody, it's just opiate for the masses. :)

Heh, sounds about right. Good one, L-man.

Now all you boomers get out there and do your patriotic duty. Heh.

Fluffly could wind up on the rotisserie. :eek:

It's even worse than that! My math is bad. Here are the raw numbers:

Old full price at supermarket: .69, new full price: .89,
new sale price .80, old sale price: .50

It's now .99 at the corner market.

Buy it by the caseload at costco. I forget the price but its about half the supermarket price.

Now if I use all my free time to find places to buy stuff cheaper, is that patriotic or not?

I've served my country, I've payed my taxes on time, I've voted in every election, I've served on jury duty... Haven't I done enough already.

Professor Yarrow emailed me and said he'd respond in the next couple of days. So lets avoid burning him in effigy until he has a chance of to respond. Or at the very least make some substantive criticisms.

Well, a "couple of days" have come and gone. I told you he would hide. People like this have no backbone.

I just read the article posted. What a stupid, stupid man. Really. Having just finished the book "Perfectly Legal" by David Cay Johnston about how our tax system has been stacked against the average Joe I see no reason for anyone to be tethered to a j#b any longer than they have to. So long as you are not a burden on society, so long as your money works for you and not you working for your money what is the problem. The author of the article is an a$$.

Well, a "couple of days" have come and gone. I told you he would hide. People like this have no backbone.

Yup, he is a no show. I hope he continues working to pay for my American hating selfishness. Athough if his research rigor as professor is at the level of the article I am not sure he is really contributing.

Here is the direct link

For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did. In doing so, we could help reduce -- rather than increase -- the burden of debt that we pass on to future generations.

Arbeit macht frei", Herr Professor ... But maybe I'm too hard on the guy, after all Joseph Goebbels was a hard working important contributor to his government.

"For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did."

I have no issue at all with his call for personal sacrifice.

You go first. :)

"For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did."

I have no issue at all with his call for personal sacrifice.

You go first. :)

My paternal grandfather was a farmer and died on the job at 75.

"Arbeit macht frei", Herr Professor ... But maybe I'm too hard on the guy, after all Joseph Goebbels was a hard working important contributor to his government.
That's one of the most subtle invocations of Godwin's Law that I've ever seen, especially on this board.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. The guy seems so deliriously happy in his work that perhaps we want to work there too. And together we could rescue both Medicare AND Social Security!

Either that or he's marketing his book with the "seagull" strategy-- flying in, crapping all over everyone, and landing at the bookstore to sign autographs.

That's one of the most subtle invocations of Godwin's Law that I've ever seen, especially on this board.

Almost exactly my thought. How about a little "Dulce et decorum est" to go along with it?

Back
Top Bottom