Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Only among the jealous and spiteful.
LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself!
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
DOOD, this article is meant simply for the 90% of baby boomers that have to work until they die because they didn't plan. Now they get to feel patriotic and unselfish. Chill everybody, it's just opiate for the masses.
Heh, sounds about right. Good one, L-man.

Now all you boomers get out there and do your patriotic duty. Heh.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fluffly could wind up on the rotisserie.
It's even worse than that! My math is bad. Here are the raw numbers:

Old full price at supermarket: .69, new full price: .89,
new sale price .80, old sale price: .50

It's now .99 at the corner market.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Buy it by the caseload at costco. I forget the price but its about half the supermarket price.

Now if I use all my free time to find places to buy stuff cheaper, is that patriotic or not?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I've served my country, I've payed my taxes on time, I've voted in every election, I've served on jury duty... Haven't I done enough already.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Professor Yarrow emailed me and said he'd respond in the next couple of days. So lets avoid burning him in effigy until he has a chance of to respond. Or at the very least make some substantive criticisms.
Well, a "couple of days" have come and gone. I told you he would hide. People like this have no backbone.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just read the article posted. What a stupid, stupid man. Really. Having just finished the book "Perfectly Legal" by David Cay Johnston about how our tax system has been stacked against the average Joe I see no reason for anyone to be tethered to a j#b any longer than they have to. So long as you are not a burden on society, so long as your money works for you and not you working for your money what is the problem. The author of the article is an a$$.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Maybe if the government would practice LBYM, then it would not have to worry about the debt problem the author keeps referring to.
Can I get an Amen to that.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Well, a "couple of days" have come and gone. I told you he would hide. People like this have no backbone.
Yup, he is a no show. I hope he continues working to pay for my American hating selfishness. Athough if his research rigor as professor is at the level of the article I am not sure he is really contributing.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Yup, he is a no show. I hope he continues working to pay for my American hating selfishness. Athough if his research rigor as professor is at the level of the article I am not sure he is really contributing.
You wish is granted....here's this week's wisdom from the professor:

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Here is the direct link

Quote:
For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did. In doing so, we could help reduce -- rather than increase -- the burden of debt that we pass on to future generations.
Arbeit macht frei", Herr Professor ... But maybe I'm too hard on the guy, after all Joseph Goebbels was a hard working important contributor to his government.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did."

I have no issue at all with his call for personal sacrifice.

You go first.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #73
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"For the good of both the nation and ourselves, we should at least be able to work as long as our shorter-lived, poorer grandparents did."

I have no issue at all with his call for personal sacrifice.

You go first.
My paternal grandfather was a farmer and died on the job at 75.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"Arbeit macht frei", Herr Professor ... But maybe I'm too hard on the guy, after all Joseph Goebbels was a hard working important contributor to his government.
That's one of the most subtle invocations of Godwin's Law that I've ever seen, especially on this board.

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. The guy seems so deliriously happy in his work that perhaps we want to work there too. And together we could rescue both Medicare AND Social Security!

Either that or he's marketing his book with the "seagull" strategy-- flying in, crapping all over everyone, and landing at the bookstore to sign autographs.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's one of the most subtle invocations of Godwin's Law that I've ever seen, especially on this board.
Almost exactly my thought. How about a little "Dulce et decorum est" to go along with it?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Damn!..this article made me so mad, that I have decided to retire a whole year earlier!
Nanita8140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #77

Here is the conclusion section to the primary reference cited, and entitled (can you believe this): "Working for a Good Retirement". Their positive spin for the individual is that they will have more money to spend in retirement. There is no mention, however, of the fact that some of you will have died, and those who survive will now have 1 to 5 years less to enjoy it. In addition they conveniently forget to factor in inflation when calculating the "benefit".

Quote:

"Conclusion

Previous work has shown that the economic pressures of an aging population can be relieved considerably for particular hypothetical workers if they can be encouraged to delay retirement. The choice of retirement age is the most important portfolio choice most workers will make—far exceeding in importance such issues as whether to invest their 401(k)s in stocks or bonds. Working longer increases the net output and productivity of the economy, generates additional payroll and income tax revenue, and reduces the average number of years in which people receive retirement benefits. This report extends that previous research by demonstrating for the population as a whole just how much of a difference additional years of work can make for retirement income, for closing the gap in the Social Security deficit, and for producing other taxes that can be used to support the government as a whole.

We find that people could increase their annual consumption at older ages by 5 percent if they worked one more year and by 25 percent if they worked five more years—assuming an annuity purchased at age 50. The gains from working longer would be even greater if retirees saved their additional wealth and annuitized it at retirement—a 9 percent increase in consumption from one more year of work and a 56 percent increase from five more years of work. Lower-income workers gain more from additional work than higher-income workers, but all workers gain. The Social Security earnings generated from one additional year of work are almost equal to the entire 2045 Social Security shortfall (of benefits from taxes) projected under the baseline scenario. Also, the additional Social Security taxes generated by five years of work offset more than half of the Social Security shortfall in 2045. While working an additional five years reduces the Social Security deficit, it is not enough to completely erase it. However, combining additional work with a corresponding change in the NRA means that Social Security could remain solvent beyond 2049 (the last year in the projection period). Accounting for the federal and state income taxes generated from additional work, no other changes in Social Security policy would be needed for the system to remain solvent throughout the projection period.

Interpolating between the one year and five year projections suggests that if workers would increase their work over the next 45 years roughly in proportion to their increase in life expectancy, they would likely increase payroll and income taxes by enough to wipe out almost any deficit in old age insurance payments between benefit payments and Social Security taxes currently collected.16 In this last case, we are not arguing that all those tax dollars should be devoted to Social Security, only how powerful the effect of additional work can be."

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
particular hypothetical workers

While working an additional five years reduces the Social Security deficit, it is not enough to completely erase it. . . means that Social Security could remain solvent beyond 2049 (the last year in the projection period).

So, HERE's the Problem -- those darned hypothetical workers are theoretically increasing productivity thereby making the real living and breathing workers look like slackers!

I knew this game was rigged.

What about all those other workers who have made a living at just getting by? And has anyone been counting the virtual workers

----
Rita
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seems to me the most patriotic thing to do is save and invest your money wisely so you can retire early. Certainly that keeps you from becoming a burden on society and helps to build the economy by investing in profitable enterprises that employ those who don't plan for early retirement.
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
He is probably unable to retire early so he doesn't want anyone else to.
I don't know if that's true or not. But as a tenured professor, he has much more job security and vacation time, and much less stress and work demands, than the vast majority of employees. So while it's easy for him to imply that everyone ought to enjoy working, he has no credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer man View Post
Seems to me the most patriotic thing to do is save and invest your money wisely so you can retire early. Certainly that keeps you from becoming a burden on society and helps to build the economy by investing in profitable enterprises that employ those who don't plan for early retirement.
People like the good professor assume that people who have money saved up just bury it in the ground, or keep it stuffed under the mattress. The idea that it might be productively invested in the economy never occurs to them.