Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Profanity, personal attacks, and disgusting ba
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Read what you want to read and pass by the stuff you dont find valuable.

You talk the talk, TH. But you don't walk the walk.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all for giving this some thought.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Read what you want to read and pass by the stuff you dont find valuable.

You talk the talk, TH. But you don't walk the walk.
As usual, your translation filters are out of whack. I didnt say "suffer the troll".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #24

This guy who left may have blown up all on his own has you followed your own "live and let live" advice, TH. That's not what you say in your post above that you did. You say that you went about trying to get him to blow. Now we will never know whether he would have blown on his own without your assistance.

This fits a pattern with you. You did the same with SalaryGuru. He didbn't blow, so he's still here. If he had, SalaryGuru would be lost to us too. Why? Because TH decided he didn't want SalaryGuru around. That doesn't sound like "live and let live" to me.

SalaryGuru says that you did the same with Ted, who has also left us. I wasn't here then, so I don't know. But I don't dismiss the claim out of hand, given what I do know about your record.

I know for a fact that you have followed me around from thread to thread trying to get me to "blow." I haven't blown, but you just keep trying. You have gone so far as to claim that another poster who supported me was me posting under another name. I believe that that is a claim that Dory36 could check up on. I know for a fact that it's a lie, so I would like to have him do so and report to the board community who is telling it straight.

Who elected you Town Sheriff, TH? I'd like a chance to vote for someone else.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The ***** spin-o-meter is flying today.

Dear Ed had already gone over the edge...I just gave him a few insults on his way down the hill. Unfortunately (or fortunately) most of his posts were deleted by Dory, but anyone with a 48 hour memory will remember that he was already on fire before I even said a word to him.

As far as trying to establish a 'pattern' to create division, according to these threads:

http://early-retirement.org/cgi-bin/...731188;start=0

http://early-retirement.org/cgi-bin/...107335;start=0

If you want the readers digest version, perhaps this quote will suffice:
"So if you don't like my negative comments about people who want to drop out of the workforce, maximize their social security benefits and reduce their taxes, and then claim that they are doing the rest of the country some sort of favor, screw you."

Any interested party can see for themselves that Ted self-immolated and was told to take a hike by about two dozen members. I hardly ever talked to or about the guy. In response to the assertion that I was the guy who made Ted leave, I asked the community for their perspective. Not one other person agreed with it, and in fact everybody thought it was someone different that had inspired Teds implosion.

However, if I was 110% the sole and only reason why Ted decided to leave, and he's said so himself, I'll accept that. I think anyone who reads the above two threads will find very little room to lay blame.

As far as my disagreements with SG...well if the best you can do is come up with one guy that I've had it out with over a year and a half period in the entire ER community, I guess that sounds pretty good to me. Honestly I like SG, enjoy a majority of his posts, and wish we had never gotten off on some of those tangents that upset him so much. I am 100% guilty of having a different opinion and arguing it to the point of what Nords likes to call a "mutually reciprocated diatribe". Gosh, that never happens on the internet. :

In your case...hmm, it looks like 30-40 people are following you around trying to make you "blow". In fact, several other boards have created special areas to mock you. What does that say...?

As far as your other 'identities', I noted to several other members the various personas I thought were you. Since I called you out for doing it, those personas have not posted here or anywhere else. I'll also point out that the guest posts of "***** is great and I want to hear more of his stuff" have also ceased.

So you know you're being watched and you cut it out. Good move.

As for checking it out, if the stamp Dory keeps on each post includes the full IP header, I can quite certainly say from the clock drift in the senders local time field of the time stamp if two posts came from the same physical computer. Would you like that to happen or did you think that using an anonymizer service or a proxy server to mask your IP address was going to work out for you?

As far as town sheriff, I dont need no steenkin badges...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #26

I will honor any rules that Dory36 puts forward to govern posting at this forum, TH. He has a right.

You don't.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

For the record - I am NOT a 13 year old from Missoula.

Now that's an old post.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I thought you were a 49 year old librarian taking Black Cohosh for your hot flashes. Or so I recall.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will honor any rules that Dory36 puts forward to govern posting at this forum, TH. He has a right.

You don't.
I do too have a right. And a left.

Is this about to degrade down to "you aint the boss of me?".

You're just mad about what Bernstein said about you.

Unclemick, we all know you're 14 by now, but nice try sidestepping that old rumor.

I wish I was a dog, mine get better treatment than I do...
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

TH

Boy oh boy - some things just can't be killed!

Sigh - there goes my chance to run for senior curmudgeon. Hope AARP doesn't find out and revoke my discounts.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #31

What is it with this Bernstein fellow? It seems like he is always causing some sort of trouble somewhere or other.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Bernstein is a rookie neurologologist from Oregon with excess time on his hands - Efficient Frontier website, books like Intelligent Asset Allocator, Four Pillars, and Birth of Plenty.

Forget him - read Ben Graham and perhaps Bogle.

Another twenty years of seasoning - he might have something interesting to say.

Although I enjoyed his musings in Birth of Plenty, and Four Pillars convinced me - Bogle was right all along and that Slice and Dice was a male horminal disease.

Unfortunately - I got it and it's incurable. Hopefully it can be controlled enough to lead a semi - normal life.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

unclemick,

When it comes to "lumpers" vs. "splitters", I swing
both ways. "lumper" in my wife's IRA and our
after tax (both in accumulation mode) and "splitter"
in my IRA being drawn down. You are right about
the male hormone thing, however.

Cheers,

Charlie
Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #34

Quote:
. . . This fits a pattern with you. You did the same with SalaryGuru. He didbn't blow, so he's still here. If he had, SalaryGuru would be lost to us too. Why? Because TH decided he didn't want SalaryGuru around. That doesn't sound like "live and let live" to me.. . .
Oh wow.

TH and I disagree about at least one issue. And don't be mistaken. I did blow. So did TH. And on more than one occasion. I think it is fair to say that we made many on this board uncomfortable.

The difference between us (TH and I) and others (you, for example) is that we did eventually learn to modify our behavior. We both wanted to be part of this community more than we wanted to win an argument with the other. There's nothing unacceptable about making mistakes. What is unacceptable to everyone is when you keep making the same mistake over and over again. TH and I have chosen not to do that.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

SG - I hope you realize this doesnt mean we're going to be taking warm showers together anytime real soon
Old 03-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #36

The difference between us (TH and I) and others (you, for example) is that we did eventually learn to modify our behavior.

I am going to continue to report honestly what the historical data says re SWRs, SalaryGuru. William Bernstein reported honestly what the historical data says in his book "The Four Pillars of Investing," and the world did not come to an end when he did so. So my guess is that our little discussion board community will not come to an end if I just continue to tell it the way William Bernstein tells it.

If you put up a post saying that you disagree with me and Bernstein, I think that's good. The expression of honest differences of opinion often generate good discussions that we all learn from. If you support intercst's position on this question, that Bernstein did not say what Bernstein in fact said, I will feel compelled to report to the board community that you are posting dishonestly. Busted retirements are not a joking matter. The board deserves to know the facts of this matter so that it can make up its own mind.

I believe that dishonest posting hurts the board. It has driven away many fine posters from other communities and in all likelihood it has caused us to lose some too. If we continue to see large numbers of deliberately dishonest and deliberately disruptive posts on SWR threads, I am going to ask that Dory36 take action to deal with the matter. TH isn't the Town Sheriff and Intercst isn't the Town Sheriff and SalaryGuru isn't the Town Sheriff. Dory36 is the Town Sheriff. It is going to be Dory36's call as to whether honest posting on what the historical data says re SWRs is going to be permitted here.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:42 AM   #37

Hello TH, SG, ***** and all of you fine folks. For the
record, I did not "blow"; I didn't inhale either, and.............I never had sex with "that woman".

BTW and off topic. Obviously I was never a Bill Clinton
fan, and Hillary might as well be Satan IMHO. However, seeing
what Bill is coping with now has softened my heart.
On top of all his troubles if he survives, just look at what he has to come home to.

JG
Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

The Bernstein's, Siegal's, et al are largely full of it.

Why?? - Because they don't give credit where credit is due - The Norwegian widow. For cripes sake - the spreadsheet arrived in 1981 or so - they play with numbers, half baked MPT, and think they discovered something new.

Ben Graham had he lived, Sir John Templeton, and perhaps Dreman would just shake their heads and grin.

As for the town sheriff - remember this:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - was NOT the town sheriff ---AND Bogey never said: "play it again Sam."

First cup of coffee post. Heh, heh, heh,heh.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Dear *****:

I believe you are confusing "town sheriffs" with "community leadership".

But then there is an awful lot of confusion surrounding you and your efforts to troll and divide communities, so thats not unexpected.

Whats humorous is that your efforts actually seem to end up uniting the very communities you seek to create dissent in.

Please accept my fondest thanks for your efforts.

I suppose all of this means that I'm not your hero anymore?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #40

I'm posting honestly, TH. William Bernstein has provided an honest account of what the historical data says re SWRs. Intercst doesn't like anyone reporting what Bernstein said because it makes him look bad. That's his problem, not yours. It's certainly not mine.