Join Early Retirement Today

Profanity, personal attacks, and disgusting banter
Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Profanity, personal attacks, and disgusting banter

Can we improve the vocabulary and stop the personal attacks, please? I am certain that there is another user forum for disgusting banter and the trading of insults. This one is the Early Retirement Forum.

Thanks,

Chris

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Profanity, personal attacks, and disgusting ba
Old 03-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why?

Let each poster hang himself by his own post.

Betcha Bill Gates was a lot more careful after the Microsoft trial. I'm sure there are other examples.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm with you, newellcr.

Early retirement is a wonderful issue that all sorts of people are interested in. The more who participate, the more we all learn.

There are large numbers who are turned-off by the sort of thing you make reference to above. That sort of stuff causes us to lose posters, which means we lose access to their Retire Early insights too.

There is nothing worth saying that cannot be said without resorting to the sort of thing you make reference to above. We should want the discussions to serve a constructive purpose, and the sort of thing you refer to above never helps.

I favor the uncompromised expression of a wide diversity of viewpoints. But I believe that reasonable limits on the manner in which those viewpoints are put forward are needed to insure that it is indeed reasoned viewpoints that are being exchanged and not just rude animal noises.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

UncleMick,

***** touches on the reason why I am not entirely for letting the posters hang themselves or to just let it burn out. It reflects poorly on the forum. That type of behavior discourages a lot of folks from posting and limits the pool of ideas.

Debate, disagree, state your opposing viewpoint, but please, let's use some restraint.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
UncleMick,

***** touches on the reason why I am not entirely for letting the posters hang themselves or to just let it burn out. *It reflects poorly on the forum. *That type of behavior discourages a lot of folks from posting and limits the pool of ideas. *

Debate, disagree, state your opposing viewpoint, but please, let's use some restraint. *

Thanks,

Chris
Newcaller: In a perfect world, your take on posting would make sense.
Operating in our environment, UncleMick is absolutely correct. Do you honestly think a plea for restraint would do any good.
UncleMick has been around the park a few times, and give somebody enough rope, and they will eventually hang themselves.
A little more experience on this board, and you will get a feel of who is worth listening to, and who is not.
Be selective.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As one guilty of getting in the gutter more than once, I'm still learning the ropes of "message boarding" myself. As new people find the board, they'll either settle down (like I hope to) or flame out and leave (like someone just did). One thing is for sure, I haven't found any place on the web with as much information/people with information on retirement all in one place. It's well worth the lumps!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #7

One thing is for sure, I haven't found any place on the web with as much information/people with information on retirement all in one place. *It's well worth the lumps!

I very much agree, laurencewill. This is an amazing resource.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can we improve the vocabulary and stop the personal attacks, please? *I am certain that there is another user forum for disgusting banter and the trading of insults. *This one is the Early Retirement Forum. Thanks, Chris
Don't feed the trolls and, pending an "Ignore Poster" feature on this software, do your best to skip over their posts.

They'll eventually flame out & depart on their own-- although I'm afraid we can't do anything about "disgusting banter" & TH...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm afraid we can't do anything about "disgusting banter" & TH...
Unfortunately, the disgusting banter may be one of my better characteristics... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Is 'blow me' disgusting or banter - or a little of both.

I sorta got to like that one - especially with some creative smileys.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmmm

Is 'blow me' disgusting or banter - or a little of both.

I sorta got to like that one - especially with some creative smileys.
Oh . . . Blow me.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

"Operating in our environment, UncleMick is absolutely correct. Do you honestly think a plea for restraint would do any good."

Absolutely, you don't? We make our own environment here with every post. This is a group of reasonable adults with life experience and the interest to participate in a group setting. These life experiences have made some of the membership a little gamey. Great, no problem. Can we try to not treat this place as a toilet? Or maybe to discourage treating this place like a toilet?

Kind Regards,

Chris
Old 03-11-2005, 06:21 AM   #13

Thanks for sticking your neck out, newellcr. I think you are right on.

You never hear complaints from the posters who just walk away. I am confident that we have been hurt by this stuff before, and if we fail to react in any way to extreme abuses when they occur, we will be hurt by it again in the future.

There are some hard calls in board administration, to be sure. It's a mistake to over-react and try to rein in people who are just letting off steam. But it is necessary to draw a line somewhere. There's room for reasoned disagreement as to where the line should be drawn, but all I hear you saying is that there is some stuff that clearly crosses it. And I think you are right on re that one.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:18 AM   #14

I have participated on this board for a while now, both pre and post-ER. Although I still check for new messages most days, I am finding less and less worthwhile content and more and more pointless arguing, name callling, and disrespect of other's ideas.

I guess I may be one who will eventually drop out unless I can find more of interest and value here.

Grumpy
Old 03-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #15

I look forward to reading the posts here. I've been nailed a couple of time; and ignored a couple of times. So what? Anyone who's too timid to post because of possible return fire needs to move on. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. BTW, if they're really scared, then they can emit their breathtaking, intellectual, and sophisticated opinions as a Guest.

"Blow me" doesn't bother me; I have heard and said worse. Go take a flying ****, or stick it where the sun doesn't shine ... now that's serious.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:51 AM   #16

I posted before about how the culture here parallels a boxing match. I have nothing against two or more members duking it out as hard as they want to go at each other on a topic, as long as it’s done in a professional and dare I say “classy” way.

But I agree, let’s keep the bad language and personal attacks out so that we could all be comfortable enough to have kids peeking over our shoulders as we are reading these posts.

Let’s be more like Muhammad Alis and less like Mike Tysons.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Granted this place can be a little "clubby" at times given the core group of people that have been together here for a long time. The whole 'dryer sheet' thing can be a little confusing at first, and I imagine most people might not realize that "blow me" is (usually) a term of endearment.

Granted also that almost any on-line discussions on this or any other site involving the usual 3rd rail topics such as religion, politics, gun control, abortion etc also run amok. For some reason our discussions involving sex work out ok.

Other than that, the only recent really unpleasant discussion around here is the one we're focused on most immediately...dear Ed. Lets capsulate that: Ed started off ok, minus some diction problems and a little trouble with the english language; I dont think anyone was too quick to fault him for that. He followed that up with a series of face-slapping posts to a number of members regarding the above mentioned 3rd rail topics. I think Ed was actually at least 2 people, supported by the very different posting styles and Dory's notice that his posts came from 10 different IPs on 2 different ISP's. I also firmly believe he was the author of the deleted fake "cut-throat" post. That he never protested someone else posting under his alias tells me he knows the other poster(s).

But lets remember, although most of the post has been deleted, the flames came first from Ed. I'll acknowledge that after 3 days of listening to 'blacks this, liberals that, gay everything else' that I engaged him and made him light his own head on fire. Whether that was the best course of action or to simply let him fade away is debatable. If I'm sitting in a nice country club with my friends and some lout starts blasting away like Ed did, I'm giving him the bums rush without hesitation. Lets face it - when JG decides you've taken a turn a little too far to the right, you've gone around the bend...

As far as what this place is and isnt, I think its what you want to make of it. Read what you want to read and pass by the stuff you dont find valuable. I dont see the excessive "offense", in fact I've stopped participating in a lot of boards because it was uncontrolled wild west non stop three stooges eye gouging. About the only time we have problems here is if someone shows up as a 'guest' to commit mayhem, the troll decides to go on his usual quarterly rampage, or someone brings up mortgages.

Dory seems to have solved the 'guest posting' problem. It looks like almost everybody knows the trolls routine by now. Seems like SG and I are done with our mortgage debates.

A shortage of useful information here? Wow. I find something useful here every day, even if its just getting a sanity check on something thats going on or getting 5 different opinions on something.

While I understand Chris's issue and his plea, unless we agree and elect to not bring up any 3rd rail issues that might inflame any member of the community, and institute moderation influence to remove any of those when posted, I'm not sure what else can or needs to be done. Moderation in and of itself can be a whole can of worms. As far as the 'banter', community standards vary wildly and I doubt you can come up with guidelines for posting that someone, somewhere wont find objectionable. Make everything suitable for a child to read? I think thats laudable, but pretty darn improbable.

Lastly, any issue the troll throws his weight behind should be suspect. The guy lives to divide and create dissension, and all he's doing here is trying to fan some flames.

I vote we settle down, put Ed and his various problems behind us, and stroll on.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I find something useful here every day, even if its just getting a sanity check on something thats going on or getting 5 different opinions on something.
Me to. Even the jokes. The "3rd rail" iisues tend to wind me and most everyone else up, but for the most part we have been relatively polite in discussing them, until the Ed situation.

Quote:
I vote we settle down, put Ed and his various problems behind us, and stroll on.
I second that.

Dory, you gave Charlie/Chuck 500 "curtesy" posts when his problem was resolved. Maybe John Galt should get 3000?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You do realize that I would then have to quickly post 200 bad jokes to catch back up to #1 poster again...? :P
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is a group of reasonable adults with life experience and the interest to participate in a group setting.
Actually we're all a bunch of dogs, but that's the great thing about the Internet!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote