Profile: Computer Usage

I have a nice powerful laptop (MacBook Pro), but at home it's connected to a large (24 inch) display and a full size keyboard, along with the usual peripherals.

If I want to take the laptop with me when I travel, it only takes a few seconds to simply disconnect a few plugs and off I go. Same for re-connecting it when I return. Got rid of my last desktop (iMac) machine four years ago.
Same here. The last desktop we had was replaced by a MacBook Pro 3 years ago, DW is the primary user, and also uses a full size screen and keyboard. I've been using that combination since the mid-90's. There has been an impressive improvement in price - performance of monitors over that time.

I am surprised at the number of desktops still in use. I associate those with corporate jobs, not retired people.

I love my 27" iMac's screen. Makes reading anything on the web easier (less scrolling) than on smaller screen devices. And over there I have my email open, and so on.

That said, it's a step down for me. I used to use dual 30" displays back when I worked.

Tablet (gift from DW) = 0% (sorry, but I really do not know what to use it for).
Smartphone = 20%
When at home, desktop = 80%
When not home, laptop = 80%

Still using Win7. Aching to switch totally to Linux Mint. Still getting the odd consulting job. Damn.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Me and DW:

Desktop (all in one) with Windows 70%
Two ipads - 10%
Two Iphones - 5%
Laptop w/windows 15%

Tablet (gift from DW) = 0% (sorry, but I really do not know what to use it for).

FWIW:
I was originally skeptical about tablets, but my iPad has become indispensable for a few things.

I love to read the newspapers on it (I do the local rag and the WSJ every morning).

It's the best for magazines (free subscriptions through the local library)

Also wonderful with the Kindle app when a book lends itself to seeing the page in a larger format than my regular Kindle.

70% Desktop Windows 10.

30% Cell - Galaxy III

heh heh heh - Wife more like 50/50 with her old Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and same model cell. SWAG wise. :cool: We talk about updating but haven't yet.

90% high end Windows 10 laptop;
10% iPad;
< 0.1% iPhone.

No desktop any more.

Ed, I use my iPad for mindless games like sudoku, at bedtime. I use it on the internet late in the evening when I am tired, because it is not as heavy as my laptop.

AT HOME:

Desktop 1 (W10) 1%
Laptop 2 (W10) 70%
Tablet 3 (iOS, Android) 5%
Phone 2 (Android) 24%

WHEN TRAVELING:

Desktop 0
Laptop 1 (W10) 25%
Tablet 2 (iOS, Android) 5%
Phone 2 (Android) 70%

Next time I/we travel however, I'm going to leave my laptop at home and only take the Kindle Fire and phone. I think "withdrawal" is inevitable. :(

With your approach of connecting and disconnecting you don't have to deal with any data syncing either since all the data is on one computer. That's one reason on the road, I prefer to just use my laptop like a terminal to remote into my desktop.

Easysurfer, that is a heavy mouse and keyboard to be lugging around through the TSA security brother. :) I'm tired of having to pull out the laptop and putting it in separate bin. I've got all my clothes and my toys in my backpack but my back has been incessantly complaining lately. It doesn't help when DW hands you the carry-on... and before you know it, you're lugging around a guerrilla.

I might get a Surface 3 and be done with it. Satiate my need to "veg out" on those long flights when I just want to watch movies w/o having to swipe the card. At least Surface doesn't have to have its own bin. :dance:

I am surprised at the number of desktops still in use. I associate those with corporate jobs, not retired people. We just retired to Vista desktops last year. They had not been used in a couple of years.
For those of us that enjoy computer gaming, desktop is the king for computing and graphics power. :)
I have a high end gaming laptop also that I use if I am playing away! :)

Easysurfer, that is a heavy mouse and keyboard to be lugging around through the TSA security brother. :) I'm tired of having to pull out the laptop and putting it in separate bin. I've got all my clothes and my toys in my backpack but my back has been incessantly complaining lately. It doesn't help when DW hands you the carry-on... and before you know it, you're lugging around a guerrilla.

I might get a Surface 3 and be done with it. Satiate my need to "veg out" on those long flights when I just want to watch movies w/o having to swipe the card. At least Surface doesn't have to have its own bin. :dance:

When going through the airport, I really didn't mind lugging the laptop and placing in a separate bin. Didn't bring an extra keyboard but did leave the mouse and adapter in my computer bag to get scanned separately. The computer bag came in handy too for stuffing my light jacket and all the [-] crap [/-] stuff from my pocket and letting them go through the scanner.

That said, next time if I really don't need to connect home, I'll probably just bring along the smart phone and travel lighter.

Back
Top Bottom