Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Saved me 22%
Off their rates? Compared to other companies? Insurance is a funny business.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually saved 30% when I monitored. My basic advice is drive as if you have a full cup of coffee in your cup holder without a lid. If you drive smooth enough that it won't spill you'll earn a large discount.

They disclose what they collect on their web site = https://www.progressive.com/auto/sna...?theme=neutral

In Ohio, their headquarters state they use:
What we use to calculate your Snapshot result
Hard braking—Hard brakes are decreases in speed of seven mph per second or greater. Your Snapshot device will “beep” when you brake hard. Minimize hard braking to work toward a discount.
Amount of time driven—The number of minutes that your engine is running during a trip. To earn a discount, try to minimize your time behind the wheel by combining trips, carpooling or using public transportation.
Time and day—The number of minutes you spend driving during higher risk hours—the highest risk are between midnight and 4 a.m. on the weekends.
Fast starts— Fast starts are increases in speed of nine mph per second or greater. Also known as “jackrabbit starts” or just “putting the pedal to the metal.” Use a lighter foot on the gas pedal to work toward a discount.
Trip regularity—The frequency with which you drive at the same time of day and same duration.
FireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
A company having a bunch of personal information - let's see: My health ins company does and shares with with other companies, and I consider that more private than my driving which is viewable by the public.
Google records every search and my ISP see's all my internet traffic like emails/sites visited etc.

So I don't worry too much about the driving part.

I have it with AllState.
I got 20% discount, this renewal it was 18%.

It records and gives me a website so I can see the totals graphed out in summary and by the day.

High speed is defined as over 80 MPH (which is bad, so I use cruise control to not go over that).
They break the day into safety times (after midnight is the worst) probably based on accidents happening.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017_07_23_15:57:19_001.png (6.9 KB, 113 views)
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
OK, but I am European and we are not as hung up about privacy as others may be. I honestly do not care what they or anyone wants to know about me, I have nothing to hide. ....
I have no idea if it is a European versus US thing. I'm Midwest American born and raised, and I am not as hung up about privacy as others on this forum may be.

I really don't get 99% of the privacy concerns, or the 'all or nothing' approach that some have.

I got this kind of offer from State Farm, but you had to buy the device, pay a monthly fee, and then you find out if you save or not. I didn't have any issues with privacy, it just didn't sound that compelling to me.

My new car has audible warnings for some of these things. They are usually nothing (like I intentionally drift over in the lane because I see a pedestrian, and no cars are approaching). But it might catch me being less attentive than I should, so that's a good thing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We've had a couple threads on this. Here's one started by me. AFAIK when they say x% discount it generally applies to specific coverages (comp and collision maybe).
Experience with Auto Insurance Data Logger

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?p=79447
Old 07-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I didn't have to pay anything for the 2 devices (we have 2 vehicles).

We pay $880 for the auto's combined per year, would it be higher without the discount ??
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Sharing some additional related info related to some of the items raised by others - -

Progressive does not charge for their Snapshot device (unless you fail to return it after the monitoring period).

If you have a GM car with OnStar, or a cell phone of any type, the same data and more is being collected.

If you have a smart phone you're giving up so much personal information via that mechanism it seems laughable to even fret over the data collected by Snapshot. I'd trust Progressive a WHOLE lot more than Verizon based upon my interactions with both over customer service and billing. Progressive typically only monitors for <6 months, cell phone companies have years/decades of data/tracking available on you.
FireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:45 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know how I drive, I sure as heck don't want my insurance company finding out...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 AM   #29

Wonder why they are so hung up on how quickly you slow down. I drive into town on a road that has a 55mph speed limit, and quite a few traffic lights. If the light changes while you're approaching sometimes you have to decide to come to a quick stop or continue on. It would seem having snapshot would encourage one to risk running a red light rather then coming to a quick stop.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
It would seem having snapshot would encourage one to risk running a red light rather then coming to a quick stop.
That was the first thought that came to my mind too.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #31

Progressive test monitors driver location - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
"Dave Pratt, Progressive's top telematics executive, disclosed Wednesday at the Chicago Auto Show that his company will be collecting location "data from a sample of customers" in 2014 for research purposes."
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Other insurance companies are looking at these devices and are being pushed by Willis Towers Watson to try them. The insurance agents I have talked with about them really don't care for the devices as they seem to cause hard feelings from their customers since so many tend to have problems with the braking sensor in the Snapshot. The agents that I have talked to in the past were pushed by their Progressive marketing reps to try it and they couldn't wait to get it out of their cars.Discount or no discount, I'm not interested in an insurance company riding along with me in my car.

My former employer tested the telematics devices in their fleet cars and it was a nuisance. Sometimes the device would pick up the speed limit for the wrong street. One guy was on an interstate highway in a large city with a 70 mph speed limit but the device picked up the speed limit for the cross street that went over the highway. He got a call from his boss's secretary asking why he was driving seventy in a forty mph zone.I retired just in time to avoid this rubbish.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Wonder why they are so hung up on how quickly you slow down. I drive into town on a road that has a 55mph speed limit, and quite a few traffic lights. If the light changes while you're approaching sometimes you have to decide to come to a quick stop or continue on. It would seem having snapshot would encourage one to risk running a red light rather then coming to a quick stop.
Exactly!!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have no idea if it is a European versus US thing. I'm Midwest American born and raised, and I am not as hung up about privacy as others on this forum may be.

I really don't get 99% of the privacy concerns, or the 'all or nothing' approach that some have.

-ERD50
I think for me it's that you may wake up one day and realize you have given up a "privacy" that you didn't intend or that you couldn't have imagined the ramifications of.

Suppose you are in an accident. Maybe you are blameless except you were doing 31 in a 30. If that data is made available to the right lawyer, you might end up with a bogus judgment against you.

It could sound far fetched, but I just think it's typically better to err on the side of caution where possible. I guess the other thing I think about is that because we are all used to no privacy, eventually the gummint may feel empowered to mandate some sort of "tracking" on all vehicles - or perhaps even people. It could be useful to catch criminals. But would you like your every move tracked on the off chance you turn out to be a criminal. If so, we can tear up the bill of rights.

If you think you have nothing to hide, you may be under thinking it, but that's just my opinion so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #35

A minor hijack, but I was encourage by the rep to download the State Farm app. Started reading the disclosures and permission and it nearly the same as the plug ins. App has to access to GPS and a number of other phone features. And that is what they are telling you about.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I think for me it's that you may wake up one day and realize you have given up a "privacy" that you didn't intend or that you couldn't have imagined the ramifications of.

Suppose you are in an accident. Maybe you are blameless except you were doing 31 in a 30. If that data is made available to the right lawyer, you might end up with a bogus judgment against you.

It could sound far fetched, but I just think it's typically better to err on the side of caution where possible. ....
I don't think it is so far fetched (maybe the 1 mph over, but...), however, that's exactly why I would like it. If the other guy is in the wrong (more likely the case, since we are all graduates of the "Lake Wobegon School of Driving"), and this helps prove it, that's great. And if I am in the wrong, well it's not fair to the other guy for me to get by due to lack of evidence.

Yes, any 'tool' can be used against us. But that is what needs to be monitored, not the tool itself. Otherwise, we'd outlaw hammers and chainsaws and kitchen knives. I like security cameras, lots of bad guys getting caught. I'll take a reasonable invasion of my privacy if it is for a good cause.

Obviously, people can differ on where that line is drawn, but for me, as long as it doesn't impinge too much on my freedom to travel where I want (and security inspections can be considered a reasonable impingement/delay), I'm pretty much OK with it. Actually, I like it - I want me and my family to be safe. Maybe I get a little aggravated at the 'privacy all the time, anywhere, in all forms' crowd making it tougher for me to be safe?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't think it is so far fetched (maybe the 1 mph over, but...), however, that's exactly why I would like it. If the other guy is in the wrong (more likely the case, since we are all graduates of the "Lake Wobegon School of Driving"), and this helps prove it, that's great. And if I am in the wrong, well it's not fair to the other guy for me to get by due to lack of evidence.

Yes, any 'tool' can be used against us. But that is what needs to be monitored, not the tool itself. Otherwise, we'd outlaw hammers and chainsaws and kitchen knives. I like security cameras, lots of bad guys getting caught. I'll take a reasonable invasion of my privacy if it is for a good cause.

Obviously, people can differ on where that line is drawn, but for me, as long as it doesn't impinge too much on my freedom to travel where I want (and security inspections can be considered a reasonable impingement/delay), I'm pretty much OK with it. Actually, I like it - I want me and my family to be safe. Maybe I get a little aggravated at the 'privacy all the time, anywhere, in all forms' crowd making it tougher for me to be safe?

-ERD50
I'll still default to my tag line and (hopefully) we'll agree to disagree.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote