Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We tried applauding on the Metro in Sofia, Bulgaria - got some odd looks.....especially after doing it at ten or more stations.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

The premise of the thread is right... I have a friend who finds used vans that are outfitted to transport wheelchair bound people.... his phone is ringing off the hook. Demographis I guess.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Just took my disabled brother from Florida back to Boston yesterday.

He can walk but only short distances; not through an airport. I was a bit amazed at the difficulty going through security. It was like they never had a person in a wheelchair come through before (in Florida??).

Having said that, we booked First Class seats both down and back. He had more room to get into/out of the seat and I sat next to him. No issues with inconveniencing other passengers. (He was also the first one off the plane as we just got up and walked out and into a waiting wheelchair)

I just couldn't visualize trying to get him into a seat in 22C. That just wasn't going to work.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You mean most people aren't entitled to a safe landing?

:-) Entitled is a bit too much for the gods of safe flights perhaps. On my end, we generally have an expectation, a hope, sometimes a wide eyed yearning...

-BB
Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We tried applauding on the Metro in Sofia, Bulgaria - got some odd looks.....especially after doing it at ten or more stations.
Love it! Sofia, is on the 15-year travel list (while we are both "highly active" according to my schedules and charts).

-BB
Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
So if you are in Business Class you can boo the pilot and heckle him when they bounce on touchdown? You suck!!!

is that golf clap or standing ovation? I have so many questions
It's a sometimes rousing, other times quiet outpouring of relief by a bunch of people who don't realize that the safest part of their journey is over. Next the taxis and rental cars!

-BB
Old 03-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Now let me get back to my emotional support cobra.

A Xanax and a martini...

Although a trained cobra would make a great car alarm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So no charge for checked baggage, yet still overhead bins packed - almost full less than half-way to boarding!

Yep!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DS flies SW a lot for business, and he is considered "A-list", so he probably is one of those able-bodied people who is supposed to board right after the wheelchairs. Some might be active military, too, or an air marshall? Or SW staff?

I don’t know about the “A-list” other than people in the A boarding group who are flying Business. And these folks didn’t look like active military or SW staff. They looked like average business travelers who didn’t want to spring for the Early Bird check-in but wanted a better boarding position. But I really don’t know, so perhaps I’m wrong.

Early Bird is a good value, though. It’s only $15 and saves you the trouble of trying to be online 24 hours before the flight. Today I had A40 boarding position and was able to get an aisle seat in Row 5!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
My wife uses a wheelchair, but can walk short distances.

We bring our own chair to the airport - unlike most.

The companion chair is folded at checked in at the jetway.

We are never sitting in an exit row, but she does appreciate not having to stand in a que in the jetway or airplane isle.

We both wait until the plane is nearly empty, pick up the wheelchair at the jetway and we exit.

We are thankful for the consideration.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I typically fly JetBlue and haven't ever noticed a significant amount of wheelchairs.
I'll have to pay more attention when I fly next in April.
I have flown BOS to PBI on JetBlue quite a few times, and yes, there are usually a lot of wheelchairs.