Join Early Retirement Today

Protecting Nephew from Russian Dating Scam
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Protecting Nephew from Russian Dating Scam

Just got word from my sister that my 35-year-old, barely independent nephew is carrying on an Internet relationship with a Russian girl. By "barely independent" I mean that he has emotional issues, and lives in a halfway house.

Sister says that this is the most important thing in his life right now. She's supposedly awaiting a visa so she can visit him.

Is it a Russian dating scam? Yes, it's gotta be.

So, I've sent him links about these scams; we'll see what happens.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, boy, Al... Scam is really high on my radar with this situation. As soon as she asks him for money to secure the visa, or buy tickets, or whatever, that'll be a tip-off....

I hope you can help him, but he probably isn't gonna want any help...
Puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A friend of mine met a Russian woman on a dating site, went to visit her in Russia and brought her her back to the US for a visit and then married her. They've been married for 4 or 5 years now.

I think meeting them in person in their own country would be the ticket. Then go from there.

Doesn't sound like a good situation for someone in a halfway house.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
gone traveling

Russian Brides

Scams for money

or

Positioning of moles [agents]

Oh... I forgot... the cold war's over
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I met someone who got a "mail order" Russian wife. He lived on the border of Ontario and Minnesota, in a very remote area. She must have thought she had been shipped to Siberia.

I met them both a couple of years ago. At that time, they had been married about a year. She didn't speak English and he didn't speak Russian. Wonder how it worked out.

Hope your nephew doesn't get hurt. Can he get scammed out of money or does he even have access to money?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Although he's on disability, he does have access to some trust fund money, so yes, there is the potential for him to lose money.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Does he have a social worker who works with him? If so, his family could share their concerns with the social worker, or whoever is in charge at the halfway house.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
A friend of mine met a Russian woman on a dating site, went to visit her in Russia and brought her her back to the US for a visit and then married her. They've been married for 4 or 5 years now.
I've always wondered what happens to the marriage when the spouse qualifies for citizenship independent of the indenture marriage. IIRC that's about five years... or is it different since 9/11?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM   #9

not of money or emotion but mostly just by wasting my time, i've been burned so many times on internet dating just locals that i can imagine what goes on over wire overseas.

a somewhat wackier-than-me friend of mine tried hooking up with this supposed lady from namibia about a year ago. i told him from the start that he was more likely just cyberdating a 67 year old man from nigeria. his love affair lasted about 1/2 a year before he finally figured it out.

seems things unraveled when he tried to get her to come to the states so they could meet in person. what a shock, huh?

if anything i'd just, in whatever capacity you see fit, help your nephew to better handle his emotions and then hope that he is later able to handle interpersonal, face-to-face intimacy. a problem with online dating is not just that it is convenient for a scammer to hide behind a screen, but it can make it easy for us to hide from ourselves.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #10

There was a "Breaking News" on FOX about an hour ago regarding a woman that came from Lebanon about 20 years ago, set up a fraud marriage to a US Citizen, got her citizenship and worked for the FBI and CIA with a Security Clearance. She is pleading guilty to all of this including passing classified information illegally. Needless the CIA and FBI are looking at their policies a bit "after the fact".
Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just got word from my sister that my 35-year-old, barely independent nephew is carrying on an Internet relationship with a Russian girl. By "barely independent" I mean that he has emotional issues, and lives in a halfway house.

Sister says that this is the most important thing in his life right now. She's supposedly awaiting a visa so she can visit him.

Is it a Russian dating scam? Yes, it's gotta be.

So, I've sent him links about these scams; we'll see what happens.
Ask your nephew to run and run as fast as he can and never look back. This Russian woman only wants a green card to live in America. This scam is practiced by many women looking for gullible American men. She probably already has her Russian contacts here in the US.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #12

See this CNN Article: Federal Agent Pleads Guilty To Fraud - Detroit News Story - WDIV Detroit
Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Email today from my sister:

Thanks! Turns out the Aaron found out it was a scam and luckily he didn't loose any $. Turns out he knew about the scams and was just hoping his "friend" was for real. She had not asked for any $. Well, sure enough... she said she was going to send a check... so he knew it was a scam. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, sure enough... she said she was going to send a check... so he knew it was a scam. Thanks again.
Whew, at least their e-mail exchange didn't result in a request for child support.

But I guess it's different with liberty ports.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
happily married
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

happily married

a guy that i worked with got a russian bride. happy married but it wasn't cheap.

i think it's nothing wrong with it. he told me his former american wife was spoiled, and demanding... his new wife meanwhile, hardworking and thankful.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
i think it's nothing wrong with it. he told me his former american wife was spoiled, and demanding... his new wife meanwhile, hardworking and thankful.
Is it better to ask for an ugly one?

Ha
Old 11-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Is it better to ask for an ugly one?

Ha

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life..."
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
gone traveling

Want a Russian wife? Check out the gogo bars in the northeast part of NJ and in Brooklyn NY. No need to look at Emails. Tall blond and.....
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

...built.