Join Early Retirement Today

Protesting against Freedom - Rally against Gay marriage.............
Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

Protesting against Freedom - Rally against Gay marriage.............

A plethora of folks turned out today at the Minnesota State Capital demanding that a ban against gay marriage be amended to the State Constitution.

With the Country at war and people dying every day, with the nation over 9 Trillion dollars in debt, these people took time out of their daily lives to lobby for this 'very important' amendment to the state constitution.

When our country was founded over 200 years ago based on the major tenant of Freedom of Religion, you can understand what kind of people drove them over a thousand miles of Ocean to find a new land.

Why do they care so much about limiting others freedoms and beliefs?

What part of Freedom don't they understand?

Do they even think about these things?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Protesting against Freedom - Rally against Gay marriage.............
Old 03-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Legalised gay marriages a few years ago, then again, we abolished slavery a few years before the States as well.

The State has no business in the bedrooms of the Nation ...... Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps they should outlaw straight marriage. What's the divorce rate now, over 50%? Outlawing straight marriage could free up the courts and save a lot of grief for people trying to split common property.

(I should know better than to participate in this thread...<sigh>)

I said something about gay marriage to a coworker, and he said something to the effect that you had to draw the line somewhere or people would be marrying horses. If people can't understand the difference between marrying a horse and marrying another independent adult human then perhaps we should just forget marriage altogether.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

This issue makes my blood boil. Stay out of other people's bedrooms and pay more attention to your own.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #5

as someone once said: "don't quote leviticus to me unless you've recently sacrificed a goat."

just today, my sister-in-law finally told their youngest (age 10) that i'm gay. *before my sil couldn't understand why i might be upset that they hid my orientation from their kids while they flaunted their own.

seems the kid has been trying to marry me off everytime he sees me lately. last time he was instructing me on how to pick up a chick. turns out, he only wanted some first cousins to play with. sil told him maybe i'll meet a nice guy and we'll adopt first cousins for him.

sil was never stunned that she kept me in hiding for 10 years, but now she's stunned to learn that it is illegal for me to adopt children in the great state of florida. that if the parents should die, the state would not allow me to adopt my niece & nephews to raise here as my own.

intolerance starts at home. from there it manifests to simple button pushing all families know & enjoy to an over-abundance of teenage suicide which only thumpers seem to enjoy, to gay bashing which many teenagers enjoy, to gay murders which seem to be almost as acceptable as blowing up abortion clinics.

it's quite something going thru life in a world that hates you. they hate us so much that all they have to do is yell gay marriage during election time and you'd be surprised who they can get elected.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...and what if someone DID want to marry a horse?

Whose frickin business would THAT be?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'd feel sorry for the horse...

Karl Rove and his cabal of operatives are clever, like CT said, if the real issues aren't in your favor, make up some that you can win on. Heck, I'm a Christian, but how two guys or gals getting married weakens my relationship with my wife, I haven't figured out yet. This is why I'll stay in California, I have no use for intolerance. The cantor at my wedding is gay, one of my wife's closest friends growning up. He sat with my family at the receptioin. In flyover country, there woulda been a hangin'.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yep, lets focus on who marries who, guns, and abortion. As far as properly running the country, being honest and respectable, doing the right thing for the people, wisely spending our money? Naaahhhhhhhhh.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Yep, lets focus on who marries who, guns, and abortion.* As far as properly running the country, being honest and respectable, doing the right thing for the people, wisely spending our money?* Naaahhhhhhhhh.
Did you notice that as people finally had enough of the Iraq debacle and Bush's ratings went into the toilet the gay marriage and abortion issues came back to the forefront?

It is so transparent, but all they have to do is stir the pot and the crazies come out.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

who said, "in democracy, people get the government they deserve." ? The politicians may be the whores, but the people are the "Johns".
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Heck, I'm a Christian, but how two guys or gals getting married weakens my relationship with my wife, I haven't figured out yet. ... the cantor at my wedding is gay, one of my wife's closest friends growning up. He sat with my family at the receptioin.
Whoa - covered a lot of ground right there. Cool!! Sorry I missed the wedding

Obviously you all judge people as people. Bravo.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
who said, "in democracy, people get the government they deserve." ?
HL Mencken said that. The rest of the quote is something like "...and they should get it good and hard".

People are busy with their everyday lives. You need to push a button in them that makes them get off the couch and vote. Or you need a great tv commercial that touches them or makes the "other guy" look really bad.

Thats about it. Good marketing and a hot button issue or two.

How you can say that who marries who is a bigger issue than collossal failure at the executive level is beyond me, but for a bunch of people, apparently it is.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
...and what if someone DID want to marry a horse?
Whose frickin business would THAT be?
Well, that depends. Would the horse someday be eligible for Social Security & Medicare from its spouse's work credits?

Oh, wait, I guess it depends on whether or not the horse is a U.S. citizen...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

yep, if the horse is a US citizen and has a valid bank account and can cash or deposit the checks...you bet.

I think these things all have a way of sorting themselves out.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I never got why the government is even involved in marriage at all. If two people want to live together or not is their own business. Kids, likewise. Although I think both parents should be equally responsible for their kids. That's not the same as making marriage a government institution, though.

Tim

Edit: for people read "consenting adults"
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Was it Leno who said, "I've got nothing against same sex marriage. I think gay people have as much right to be miserable as the rest of us."

Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I never got why the government is even involved in marriage at all.
I don't think that the government should be in the business of defining marriage at all. But if it does, it d*mn well better not discriminate about it.

Voting to institutionalize prejudice is such an abhorrent act. It may be time for some boycotts against states that choose such a course of action.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #18

Whoa people, you are starting to sound like Canadians, can't have that, next thing you know you will be demanding that you bring back your children from Foreign Lands and demanding Universal Health Care and Gun Control.

Where is Charlton Heston when we need Him?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #19

You buncha misguided liberals. I don't care what any of you say, I'm against that horse marriage stuff. That's not right. Think of the children.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 AM   #20

I would be concerned about the horse's ability to consent.

Though I did read about the case in Sudan where a guy was forced to marry a goat. So maybe these societies are less backward than we make them out to be?* *

---
This is just par for the course for a group (far-right Republicans) that only seem to know how to rule through fear. Get people's undies in a twist over something sex-related, pop open a cold one and sit back and watch the fireworks.

I'm tremendously disturbed over the HPV vaccine backlash.. just goes to show how the "pro-life" contingent is profoundly ANTI-life when it comes down to it. They just love them some divine punishment..

B.Globe op-ed

If there's ever an AIDS vaccine they won't want anyone to have that, either.

Sickening.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote