Join Early Retirement Today

Provocative Facebook Observation
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Provocative Facebook Observation

Quote:
"Facebook makes me hate the people I know, and Reddit makes me love the people I don't." -- Alexis Ohanian
While it may be self-serving from the co-founder of Reddit, others have made the same observation comparing other sites to FB. And you have to wonder what the TMI threshold is when sharing online with friends, can it be excessive?

I make no predictions, but it will be interesting to see if Facebook succumbs to the same fate as MySpace and some of the other once very popular earlier social media sites.

A Reddit Co-Founder's Devastating One Line Takedown of Facebook - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Guess I will stay off Facebook for another year!

More interesting reading here, I think.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Everything changes, and ends. Predicting when and/or what will make things change/end is like predicting the ups and downs of the stock market.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well since Zuckerberg wasn't there I'll make up my own one liner.

Quote:
Facebook helps me figure out which acquaintance I want to become friends with, and Reddit makes me root for the zombies and the aliens.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Everything changes, and ends.
Herpes is forever. There also seems no end to the dumb things humans will do. Makes me think Darwin got it wrong...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU
Everything changes, and ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Herpes is forever.
Until you die then it ends.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I make no predictions, but it will be interesting to see if Facebook succumbs to the same fate as MySpace and some of the other once very popular earlier social media sites.
Facebook will die someday. That said, MySpace and other networking sites required a little bit more computer knowledge than FB to put up a good profile... and MySpace had 50 million users as of last month (however, I am counted in that despite the fact that I have not logged in there in over five years). Conversely, FB cracked one billion users... Twitter's got about 500 million users... etc.

Facebook gets something like 170 million unique visits each month, which is about eight times more than Twitter and more than ten times that of Pinterest, and three times more than the number of users than MySpace ever had.

Facebook will be around for quite some time. I wouldn't invest my money in it, but...
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote