Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I noticed my iPhone 4 seems noticeably slower with iOS8...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I noticed my iPhone 4 seems noticeably slower with iOS8...
Um, iOS 8 can't be installed on an iPhone 4. Maybe an iPhone 4S?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Um, iOS 8 can't be installed on an iPhone 4. Maybe an iPhone 4S?
Okay, that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Okay, that...
Such a techie, lol!
My own phone is a plain ole 4, but by god I'm getting the uprade to the 6, as soon as those yahoos at Verizon see fit to send it to me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Such a techie, lol!

My own phone is a plain ole 4, but by god I'm getting the uprade to the 6, as soon as those yahoos at Verizon see fit to send it to me!

Like you, I have the plain ol' 4 with Verizon but have been loathe to give up my unlimited data plan, which I have been assured will happen with upgrades.

Still, I love the size of the 6+ and am considering it....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Such a techie, lol!

Like you, I have the plain ol' 4 with Verizon but have been loathe to give up my unlimited data plan, which I have been assured will happen with upgrades.

Still, I love the size of the 6+ and am considering it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I was never interested in previous iPhones (too small), but I looked at the iPhone 6/Plus yesterday and me likey, esp the Plus. But until "they" offer an unlimited plan for $50/mo or about $90/mo for DW and I, I'll wait.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #28

Unlimited data for $50 or unlimited voice/text?

Straight Talk has $45 plans on either AT&T or T-Mobile with 3 GB of LTE and unlimited voice and texting.

But your phone has to be unlocked, meaning you'd have to buy the phone unlocked, which starts at $750 for the 6 Plus.

Now Verizon phones are unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile but not Verizon's network. But of course, you have to sign a contract to get a phone starting at $199 (or $299 for the Plus).
Old 09-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Unlimited data for $50 or unlimited voice/text?

Straight Talk has $45 plans on either AT&T or T-Mobile with 3 GB of LTE and unlimited voice and texting.

But your phone has to be unlocked, meaning you'd have to buy the phone unlocked, which starts at $750 for the 6 Plus.

Now Verizon phones are unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile but not Verizon's network. But of course, you have to sign a contract to get a phone starting at $199 (or $299 for the Plus).
"Unlimited" voice/text/data (knowing that means there's a data slowdown threshold for anyone who's not grandfathered). We have Net10 for $85/mo now, but I'd like to have an iPhone when I grow up. IIRC Sprint is already offering an unlimited (20GB data) family plan for $100/mo - but Sprint coverage is horrible where I live. Maybe one day...

Old 09-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #30

Yeah I don't think there will be unlimited data plans other than grandfathered ones, at least on the national carriers.

I was hoping Sprint would be able to acquire T-Mobile because the new owner waged a price war in Japan and had stated he'd do the same if he had enough mass, which required combining T-Mobile and Sprint.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #31

You can keep the unlimited plan if you do a regular upgrade (the two year mark) with ATT. You can actually keep the unlimited plan with Next (their payment plan) but it is a bit pricey. This is for the individual plans that are unlimited data. I know this because I had to go through EVERY possible permutation of upgrade in the course of researching it for a friend.

I am on "Duggar" sized plan with Verizon, so it is a little less complicated. And definitely not unlimited data. If you want to keep one of those, then you have to be willing to pay a lot for it, compared to the sweeteners they offer for metered plans. Really only makes sense if you routinely go over 10GB a month, which is the argument I used on my friend who averages 2 GB or so!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #32

I just converted a corporate-paid account to a personal AT&T account. I'm out of contract and eligible for an upgrade.

But a iPhone 6 Plus with 64 GB would cost 42.50 a month more over 20 months.

Or I could just pay the $850 up front and then go to Straight Talk, which would reduce my bill by about $20 and increase the data from 2 to 3 GB on AT&T's network.

Also the crazy thing is, if I go over 2 GB, I have overage charges but if I go over 3 GB on the Straight Talk plan, I supposedly will just be throttled down to slower speeds.

One down side of Straight Talk is no international roaming available. So I wouldn't be able to take emergency calls or make them, even at high roaming rates.

Well I took my iPhone 5S to France this past week, along with a brief stopover in Munich, and it never once connected to a network.

I still have to find out from AT&T why that is. If I can't roam, I might as well look at Straight Talk.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well I took my iPhone 5S to France this past week, along with a brief stopover in Munich, and it never once connected to a network.

I still have to find out from AT&T why that is. If I can't roam, I might as well look at Straight Talk.
I think you just have to tell them and buy a month of European roaming. I've had no trouble using my AT&T iPhone in Germany and Belgium.

I also wonder at all the folks who seem to need huge data allowances. I've never gone over 2 GB in a month, no matter how much I travel and use my phone.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #34

Yeah I don't get good reception at my house and I have Wifi for data anyways.

But I can see maybe tethering my laptop and updating my iTunes podcasts can use up several hundred megabytes, maybe 1/6 of your monthly 2 GB data allotment, in a matter of minutes.

Obviously not the best use of data but it's just an example of how quickly you can use up the data.

In Europe, they have bundles and when you use up the bundle, instead of charging you overages, they throttle your speed to something barely useable.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Just saw that Apple has pulled back today's 8.0.1 update that was supposed to fix the problems in IOS 8: Apple Pulls iOS 8.0.1 Update Due To Issues With Dropped Calls - Forbes
Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I just tried to install iOS 8.0.2 on my iPad 3. Total crash. It's in recovery mode right now and it is taking forever.

The install went fine on my iPhone 5s. When I set up the new iCloud drive, I was urged to install OSX Yosemite on my iMac so that I could access my iCloud files from my computer. Like an idiot, I assumed that Yosemite had been released at the same time as iOS8 (why mention it otherwise?). So I went ahead with the setup. Only problem is, Yosemite will only be released sometime in the fall so now I can't access my iCloud files from my computer anymore.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:01 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Since my downgrade to iOS 7.1.2 has been such a mixed bag (OS works, but some apps need to be reinstalled and iTunes sync won't work at all ), I may have to download iOS 8 again, but I am going to wait until there's a version that seems to be well received. We'll see how 8.0.2 fares, though the post above doesn't bode well. This has been very disappointing for me and my old iPad 2. If I have to wait until next Spring for the iPad "Pro" it's going to be pretty grim...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since my downgrade to iOS 7.1.2 has been such a mixed bag (OS works, but some apps need to be reinstalled and iTunes sync won't work at all ), I may have to download iOS 8 again, but I am going to wait until there's a version that seems to be well received. We'll see how 8.0.2 fares, though the post above doesn't bode well. This has been very disappointing for me and my old iPad 2. If I have to wait until next Spring for the iPad "Pro" it's going to be pretty grim...
That's awful! Thanks for posting about your experience downgrading to iOS 7.1.2, because I was thinking about doing that. For some reason my iPad 2 slowdown, while noticeable and annoying, isn't as bad as it has been for some so I will just leave iOS 8 on it for now.

If I have to get another iPad eventually I think I will look for one that is the same size as the standard iPad (9" or whatever it is), but lighter. Really I am so fed up with Apple at this point but there are some thoroughly mindless, simplistic, braindead games that I play on my iPad and would miss....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If I have to get another iPad eventually I think I will look for one that is the same size as the standard iPad (9" or whatever it is), but lighter. Really I am so fed up with Apple at this point but there are some thoroughly mindless, simplistic, braindead games that I play on my iPad and would miss....
The more I read, the more I think I may do the same. Though I've been stuck on the rumored 12.9" iPad, it's going to be more expensive (that I expected) but it sounds like they're going to target business users and make it into a near laptop with detachable keyboard, more evolved office suite type apps, etc. That sounds like more more than I need. So maybe the iPad Air 2 (9.7") will be all I need. It's supposedly being announced in a few weeks and starts delivering soon after.

iOS 8 looks nice with some nice added features, it just crippled my iPad 2.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
Administrator

OMG, my iPad2 is suddenly telling me that it wants to upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 now, for the first time.

Here goes! I wonder if this upgrade will help. It says, "This release contains improvements and bug fixes". I hope it doesn't crash like FIREd's iPad 3 did when he tried to install it.

Thanks for the info about the iPad Air 2 being released shortly. That's the one I'd want (but I had no idea that a new model was being released, so thanks).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote