Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Actually that's one of the criticisms of Android. There are a lot of devices out in the field which are running Android revisions over 2 years old.

It's not just about features. Newest OSes often get security patches and newer drivers.

But it's often up to the manufacturers, unless you have a Nexus device which was sold by Google, to offer the newest releases for their devices. Some manufacturers have been criticized for appearing to drop support on one-year old devices, to push newer devices with the newest Android.
That's true - you may not be able to update a device to the latest Android OS. But more important to me is that you will (almost) always be able to find apps that run on that older OS. You won't be locked out of existing apps.

It's easier for me to accept that my older device won't accept an OS upgrade, than it is that I can't load some simple app (like a kitchen timer, that makes no use of any new features of the OS) on my old device.

Pros and cons to each - in some ways it is 'pick your poison'.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
Both platforms have about a million apps. Many of them haven't been updated in years.

I have an iPhone 5S and an iPad Mini Retina. I updated the latter to iOS8 and found one of the older games I have crashes on iOS 8 so I have held off on upgrading the iPhone. I emailed the developer to see if he would fix it but they've moved on to something else.

Meanwhile, pretty much every app has updated to iOS8 but they all work fine. For instance, I just used the eTrade app this afternoon and it had a screen saying with iOS 8, it supports logging in by TouchID. Well I have touch ID but haven't updated my iPhone to iOS8 yet so I can't use that feature. But otherwise, the app works fine.

It's doubtful too many app developers will lock out iOS 7 users.
__________________

__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was never interested in previous iPhones (too small), but I looked at the iPhone 6/Plus yesterday and me likey, esp the Plus. But until "they" offer an unlimited plan for $50/mo or about $90/mo for DW and I, I'll wait.
My 6 Plus just arrived today. It is almost shockingly big, but I already like it a lot. It is sort of more like a mini mini iPad which is great for my use. We gave up our unlimited plan awhile back and was worried a bit at the time. As it turns out unlimited data has been unnecessary since most of the time we are on Wifi. Even with 4 of us on the account (DH and 2 of our kids in college) we rarely exceed 4 GB of data usage and usually it is less.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Both platforms have about a million apps. Many of them haven't been updated in years.

I have an iPhone 5S and an iPad Mini Retina. I updated the latter to iOS8 and found one of the older games I have crashes on iOS 8 so I have held off on upgrading the iPhone. I emailed the developer to see if he would fix it but they've moved on to something else.

Meanwhile, pretty much every app has updated to iOS8 but they all work fine. For instance, I just used the eTrade app this afternoon and it had a screen saying with iOS 8, it supports logging in by TouchID. Well I have touch ID but haven't updated my iPhone to iOS8 yet so I can't use that feature. But otherwise, the app works fine.

It's doubtful too many app developers will lock out iOS 7 users.
I don't care about a million apps, I care about the ones I use.

Checked my notes, my 3.5 year old Apple device could not be updated past a certain iOS version, and apps started passing me by. The iHeart radio one was the worst for me, that's what I mostly used the device for - internet radio.

Later, when I tried to add some simple apps, Apple sent me through this stupid process - download the app (and install it even, IIRC), and then it tells me 'incompatible with this device'. Why not warn me before I DL it, so I can keep looking for alternatives? I never found an internet radio app that would run on the old OS.

I understand if the app uses new features that are only in the new OS or new HW - but that wasn't the case with what I was looking for.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,965
While we're debating Android vs Apple, let's throw privacy into the mix. Google's revenues are built on ads, and knowing (sharing?) as much about users as possible. Apple's revenues are based on selling hardware, and the software needed to make their hardware desirable. Neither is without risk, but there's a marked difference in how Apple handles personal information vs Google and many others. Apple gets my $ for making more of an effort to guard users personal information.

And having an Android phone for several years now, Google is a little too insistent on forcing their apps down users throats IME. There are quite a few Google apps (Hangouts, Google Play Music, Google + come to mind) that just won't go away while demanding access to MY photos and other files they have no business accessing IMO. My next smartphone will probably be an iPhone. YMMV
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
PSA: iOS8 & iPad
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,321
PSA: iOS8 & iPad

Both Android and Apple devices have their plusses and minuses. I have owned both. Android was very frustrating in that updates to the OS that I wanted were never made available. The updates had to go through Google, the phone manufacturer and the cell service provider. I had a a less than two year old usable phone that insisted on going into a rebooting loop at 2:00 AM, each time loudly shouting 'DROID' to make sure I woke up and stayed up. All three companies involved with the phone pointed fingers at the other two and the problem was 'fixed' only by leaving the phone off all night. Not so good

The one iPhone problem I had was fixed with a quick trip to the Apple store.

Since they stopped updating the OS only about one year after I bought the then state of the art phone, I could not use certain apps I wanted since they required the newer OS. I guess this app thing works both ways.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
While we're debating Android vs Apple, let's throw privacy into the mix. Google's revenues are built on ads, and knowing (sharing?) as much about users as possible. Apple's revenues are based on selling hardware, and the software needed to make their hardware desirable. Neither is without risk, but there's a marked difference in how Apple handles personal information vs Google and many others. Apple gets my $ for making more of an effort to guard users personal information.

And having an Android phone for several years now, Google is a little too insistent on forcing their apps down users throats IME. There are quite a few Google apps (Hangouts, Google Play Music, Google + come to mind) that just won't go away while demanding access to MY photos and other files they have no business accessing IMO. My next smartphone will probably be an iPhone. YMMV
That is true but beware if you use any Google apps or services, like GMail and Google Maps, even on iPhone.

I have GMail accounts and heavily use Google Maps, especially for navigation overseas.

So when planning trips, I search destinations on the desktop version and save locations as starred locations and create custom maps. I do that with my Google account logged in. Then the Google Maps app. on iPhone will show those same starred locations, making it very convenient.

But that results in tracking:

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

If you have any Google app. that you were signed into on your phone, it uses the GPS and logs your movements.

I also have a couple of GMail accounts that I've been using for years. But now I'm going to start using more of iCloud email accounts.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #68
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
My 6 Plus just arrived today. It is almost shockingly big, but I already like it a lot. It is sort of more like a mini mini iPad which is great for my use. We gave up our unlimited plan awhile back and was worried a bit at the time. As it turns out unlimited data has been unnecessary since most of the time we are on Wifi. Even with 4 of us on the account (DH and 2 of our kids in college) we rarely exceed 4 GB of data usage and usually it is less.
I've had the 6 for two days now and am finally getting used to the huge screen compared to the 4 I have been carrying. I can imagine the plus is even more of an adjustment! I love the predictive text and the touch security.
I am downgrading data as well. Wifi is everywhere!
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #69
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I've had the 6 for two days now and am finally getting used to the huge screen compared to the 4 I have been carrying. I can imagine the plus is even more of an adjustment! I love the predictive text and the touch security.
I am downgrading data as well. Wifi is everywhere!
Does the bigger screen motivate you to use the iPad less and the new iPhone more?
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
I'd be wary about using too much public Wifi.

Convenient but there could be people with packet sniffers.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'd be wary about using too much public Wifi.

Convenient but there could be people with packet sniffers.

"Packet sniffers" is a term the tech-savvies know, but may need explaining.

I agree about public wi-fi.
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
People have equipment that could intercept the data being sent from your device.

If some web sites or services used by apps. send passwords without encrypting them, then they could be intercepted.

This kind of hacking is much easier on a public Wifi network than say through a cellular data connection.

Most web sites and apps use SSL encryption so it shouldn't be a problem but you never know.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #73
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does the bigger screen motivate you to use the iPad less and the new iPhone more?
I rarely use the iPad, because that became what DH used once I got my Mac laptop. Honestly, I really use the phone for EVERYTHING. Flipboard for news is awesome!
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
Yeah the real test is someone who was not using the phone much for surfing, preferring iPad or devices with larger screens, whether they wean themselves off the larger devices.
__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,965
Update: Being trapped in limbo with an unauthorized downgrade to iOS 7.1.2 from iOS 8.0,
  • web surfing, email and most apps working much better with 7.1.2,
  • but unable to create an iTunes backup or sync,
  • with no music or movies on my iPad (all intact on iTunes),
  • and several purchased apps missing (all intact on iTunes),
I reluctantly upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 8.0.2 yesterday.

My iPad 2 is still very slow, but at least everything works again, unlike 8.0 (seemingly random crashes and glitches). I'm probably still going to buy an iPad Air 2 (announced yesterday), but at least my iPad 2 works again under 8.0.2. Whew!
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #76
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm probably still going to buy an iPad Air 2 (announced yesterday), but at least my iPad 2 works again under 8.0.2. Whew!
+1

I am running 8.0.2 as well, but the slowdown is still there. Some apps are not only slow, but jerky and that is a bit annoying as well.

Like you I am seriously thinking about buying an iPad Air 2 in order to better cope with the new iOS. That model sounds just right for my purposes. Of course, my iPad 2 was just right as well, until we got the "upgrade".
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

I am running 8.0.2 as well, but the slowdown is still there. Some apps are not only slow, but jerky and that is a bit annoying as well.

Like you I am seriously thinking about buying an iPad Air 2 in order to better cope with the new iOS. That model sounds just right for my purposes. Of course, my iPad 2 was just right as well, until we got the "upgrade".
A Simply Mac · Premier Apple Specialist for Sales & Service · Mac computers, iPad, iPhone & iPod store opened recently near me, seems like a nice place though much smaller than an Apple retail store. They sell Apple products exclusively, I assume they have a deal with Apple to open stores in cities too small for Apple to be interested.

They quoted me $180 on trading in my iPad 2! Frankly I can't imagine getting that much for my old one (though like new condition, complete with box/instructions), so I will believe it when/if the transaction takes place. We'll see...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Like you I am seriously thinking about buying an iPad Air 2 in order to better cope with the new iOS. That model sounds just right for my purposes. Of course, my iPad 2 was just right as well, until we got the "upgrade".
So Apple introduced a problematic upgrade that makes you want to buy a new device to get around the problems. You are being held hostage to Apple's bottom line.

I have an iPad 2 that I believe is older than yours. I read the bad press about iOS 8 and decided not to install it. I am going to wait until I have no other option. I do not like being manipulated.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
The first major update to iOS8 is coming out on Monday.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,417
You don't have to upgrade unless there are some apps. which require the new OS.

That's not going to be the case for at least another year. All of them should support iOS 7 or even iOS 6.

And even if the apps. require a newer OS than the one you have, chances are you can find alternative apps. which don't have the requirement.

I upgraded from iPad 3 to iPad mini 2 earlier this year, so about 2 years.

I can skip these and see what they have next year. Even then mine should run iOS 9 okay. iOS 8 did break a game that I like but looks like the developer has stopped supporting it so I can't play it any more.

I did say an iOS 6 image so it may be possible to go back to it but not going to bother.
__________________

__________________
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PSA: on PSA (applicable for men) Midpack Health and Early Retirement 57 03-08-2014 09:45 AM
PSA: FIRECALC Success Rates for various ages & withdrawal rates Midpack FIRE and Money 37 05-16-2012 09:37 AM
Prostate Concerns - PSA Results Ol_Rancher Health and Early Retirement 27 01-20-2007 11:36 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.