Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My old iPad 2 is better with 8.0.2 and now 8.1, but it's really slow and glitchy. What I thought was lockup, appears to be just so slow it seems frozen. If I wait long enough (15-20 seconds) it'll finally complete the command...
Wondering if slow speed has anything to do with the capacity of your drive. How many GB do you have? Mine is 64 GB, still on iOS 7.1.2.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wondering if slow speed has anything to do with the capacity of your drive. How many GB do you have? Mine is 64 GB, still on iOS 7.1.2.
Mine is a 64GB too, but that's storage (which has little if any impact on performance) , not the memory the processor uses.

But you're right in that "RAM" on an iPad 2 is 512MB vs 1GB the 3/4/Air and 2GB for the Air 2. Reports are the Air 2 is blazing, thanks to a faster processor and more CPU memory.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, overall, are you glad you put iOS 8.1 on your iPad 2?

I have just updated my old Macbook to Yosemite. Yosemite works best with iOS 8, as I have been told.
Definitely. It seems to work a lot better on my old iPad 2 (16 GB Wi-Fi only) than 8.0.2 did. YMMV

Purchasing the iPad Air 2 has moved from an immediate necessity, to the "gosh, it might be nice to have, maybe think about it sometime in the next year or so" category, for me. Braumeister's report comparing both was encouraging, though, and I might buy it in the next month or two just for kicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, I ordered it from Apple the first day they started taking orders. No deals (although I got a $20 discount by going through a military site). I also sold my old iPad 2 for $155, which isn't a bad deal.
Thank you for the information. I might be looking for one soon, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Here's a warning about the WSJ app, latest versions. This one bit me a few days ago when I tried to update the app. It get stuck in the update mode and never finishes updating. Worse, other apps being updated at the same time may get stuck with it. Not so good.

I deleted the WSJ app from my iPad.

Wall Street Journal won't load | Apple iPad Forum

The WSJ releases update to iOS app to fix bug that was preventing App Store downloads | Talking New Media | The digital publishing industry website
Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

The current WSJ iPad app works perfectly for me. I had a different problem when I first used it on the new iPad -- my password didn't work. Trying the "forgot password" routine didn't work either -- error was "more than one record for this email." Hopeless!

So I got on the phone to customer support, and within a few minutes my password got reset and now everything works perfectly.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #126
Administrator

I went to Best Buy this afternoon to check out the iPad Air 2. The salesman showed it to me and offered me $200 for my (16 GB Wi-Fi only) iPad 2 if I bought the iPad Air 2.

Problem was, maybe I was in a bad mood or something, but it just didn't float my boat. I dunno. It just didn't DO it for me somehow. Honestly I'd rather have what I've got. I guess I should be glad because I saved $299 plus tax.

So much for that idea.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I went to Best Buy this afternoon to check out the iPad Air 2. The salesman showed it to me and offered me $200 for my (16 GB Wi-Fi only) iPad 2 if I bought the iPad Air 2.

Problem was, maybe I was in a bad mood or something, but it just didn't float my boat. I dunno. It just didn't DO it for me somehow. Honestly I'd rather have what I've got. I guess I should be glad because I saved $299 plus tax.

So much for that idea.
Heh. If you change your mind, BB is running this promo through November 15, 2014. I think that their $200 offer is the best trade-in for the iPad 2 currently available (for moving to the Pad Air 2). (Gazelle and NextWorth are offering $85, and Amazon is offering 'up to' $150.)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Satisfaction is always in the eye of the beholder.

I discovered another advantage to moving up to the Air this morning.

I subscribe to the digital version of the local newspaper, and it's the first thing I read each morning, on my iPad.
With the old one, the print was too fuzzy to read it as presented, so I had to zoom in on the page for each article I was interested in.
But with the retina display, the print is sharp and clear, so I can just go through it page by page, exactly as if it were a paper newspaper. That's an unexpected treat!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

So much for that idea.
I'm glad to hear this, W2R. I thought (oh horror!) that you were turning into a Big Spender.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm glad to hear this, W2R. I thought (oh horror!) that you were turning into a Big Spender.
I know, I know! My motto of the year is "You can't take it with you."

I guess I need to work harder at finding something that appeals to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought an iPad Air 2 yesterday. It's very responsive and I'm glad to have the bigger screen again. A little backstory, my son needed an iPad for school, so I gave him my iPad Air at the beginning of the school year and used his original iPad Mini in the meantime. I figured I'd wait until Apple refreshed their tablets before buying a new one. Part of the reason I wanted to use the iPad Mini was to see if I liked the screen size/form factor. There are definitely aspects of the Mini I liked, but his was old with an inferior screen (too much pixelation) and it was slow. And that was running iOS7. I think iOS8 would be much worse. So in the end I decided to go with a larger tablet. Plus, Apple's upgrade of the Mini this time around is next to useless.

Last night I was able to unexpectedly use a new feature on the iPad. My sister called me on my iPhone and I was prompted on the iPad to answer the call. I answered and we chatted for a bit with me using the iPad. This isn't a feature I'll use often, but I was impressed with the seamless integration across devices. Apple really does have a knack for making end to end scenarios work seamlessly.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I know that iOS8 has made it easier for your iPad to connect through your iPhone. From what I've read, as long as both devices are associated with the same Apple ID, then you can automatically connect your iPad WIFI to your iPhone's personal hotspot. I don't have iOS8 on my iPad (too old), so I haven't had a chance to try it out, but it's the main reason I plan on getting a WIFI only iPad. I only hope that the battery drain on the iPhone isn't too bad.

I'm posting this on my iPad that's connected to the personal hotspot on my iPhone. I selected the iPhone's hotspot and the iPad automatically connected. No prompting for password. Now to see how badly my iPhone's battery drains.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

After a few days of running my iPad 2 with iOS 8.1, I have not found it to be particularly slower or worse than running in iOS 7. Overall, it seems about the same - slower than the new iPads, but not so bad that I need to run out and buy a new iPad.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
After a few days of running my iPad 2 with iOS 8.1, I have not found it to be particularly slower or worse than running in iOS 7. Overall, it seems about the same - slower than the new iPads, but not so bad that I need to run out and buy a new iPad.
Repeating myself for the possible benefit of others, the iPad 2 hardware changed slightly in Mar 2012. iPads made before then, like mine, may have more trouble with iOS 8.x. However, mine is now useable but very slow with iOS 8.1, noticeably different than the original iOS 8.0.0...

And iOS 8.x is far, far slower and more troublesome than iOS 7.x was on my iPad 2 (new Jun 2011) - no comparison, evidently unlike some others here. FWIW

(Much to my surprise) My iPad 2 has a trade in value of $173-$200 at present, so I will trade for an iPad Air 2 as soon as the specific model I want is in stock at Best Buy or Simply Mac. I'd be willing to bet the iPad 2 won't be included when iOS 9 rolls out, and the trade in value will decrease or become non-existent sometime well before iOS 9 (presumably in about a year). YMMV

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...-2-models.html

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Repeating myself for the possible benefit of others, the iPad 2 hardware changed slightly in Mar 2012. iPads made before then, like mine, may have more trouble with iOS 8.x. However, mine is now useable but very slow with iOS 8.1, noticeably different than the original iOS 8.0.0...

All Differences Between iPad 2 Models & Which to Buy? @ EveryiPad.com
Hmmm. I have a late 2011 iPad 2. Based on your experience I think I will pass on iOS 8. Thanks for the heads up, Midpack!