Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Installation of 8.0.2 done. All is well, but it did nothing to correct the slowdown on my iPad 2 as far as I can tell. My iPad 2 is the wi fi only and 16 GB model. Slowdown is not terrible but still a little annoying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

It's working okay on my iPad Mini with Retina but one of the games I've been playing for years crashes ...
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, the initial x.0.1, x.0.2, x.0.3 etc releases of software are to correct serious failures in a new software release, and do not concentrate on features or performance. They're more for issues like "phone dead"/"WiFi doesn't connect"/"iDevice is bricked!" problems.

I tend to wait until the x.1 release has been out for a week or so before I update a production or daily user system. I'll only roll the shiny new x.0.0 releases onto a development system where I have to use the new software for work. But what do I know, eh?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Installation of 8.0.2 done. All is well, but it did nothing to correct the slowdown on my iPad 2 as far as I can tell. My iPad 2 is the wi fi only and 16 GB model. Slowdown is not terrible but still a little annoying.

Noticeable slowdown on my iPad 3 as well. Lots of stuttering. The iPad was restored from iCloud overnight.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I haven't seen any Apple haters yet, so I'll jump in...I haven't had any issues with my Kindle. Ever. DWs Samsung Tab? Works great.

But...I do own a sizable amount of AAPL, so I do hope that they get this resolved and people continue to sleep outside for nights at a time for the next, best thing!

Seriously, I'm sorry everyone is having such issues. I did go buy me an Apple iPod for the car, but I had so many issues with syncing, I gave up. Now I purchase all my tunes through Amazon and load them onto a flash memory card that I plug in the dash. So much simpler.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Well the Kindle does a lot less.

And Android devices don't get upgraded to the latest OS. After the sale they don't' bother to support further.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The Kindle does what it does very well.

One of the problems in the field in which I worked was a tendency for people to try to pack every possible thing into their product, resulting in a difficult, hard-to-maintain thing.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Midpack for this PSA. I was traveling when iOS8 first came out and waited till I returned home, but your OP led me to postpone installation indefinitely. I have a 2011 iPad 2, which I love dearly and do not wish to replace anytime soon. It appears that this iOS is very buggy. Version 8.0.2 has downloaded itself on my device and has reminded me to instal it. Very pushy!

If Apple insists on ruining a perfectly good device and causing major hassle for users with its updates, how is it different from Microsoft? Wasn't ease of use supposed to be Apple's differentiating characteristic?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well the Kindle does a lot less.

And Android devices don't get upgraded to the latest OS. After the sale they don't' bother to support further.
I will agree with you on the Kindle...it doesn't do much. Books, magazines, movies, music, apps, weather radar, streams to my TV, etc. It's quite the useless device.

As for Android devices not being supported? Where do you get this idea? I have a 3 year old Galaxy S3 that has the most up-to-date available OS for Android devices. How far back does iOS 8 go? To the iPhone 4 that came out 4 months ago?

Sorry, not wanting to derail the thread, but your assertions are incorrect. Look, I am an Apple fan...as an investor, not as a consumer. They *used* to have the best products out there, but since Steve Jobs has been out of the picture, most of their new products have been mediocre at best. It used to be that I saw many people leaving their Android devices in the garbage to go with the Apple that "works everytime without fail" but more recently it has shifted significantly to Android.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Kindle or Kindle Fire?

Monochrome Kindle isn't going to be too useful for movies.

Here is the Android OS distribution:

Distribution | Droid Life

It's well known a lot of manufacturers drag their feet on putting out later OS releases for their devices. The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Kindle or Kindle Fire?

Monochrome Kindle isn't going to be too useful for movies.

Here is the Android OS distribution:

Distribution | Droid Life

It's well known a lot of manufacturers drag their feet on putting out later OS releases for their devices. The numbers speak for themselves.
Oh yes, my bad..it's a Fire. The manufacturers are going to do this for the simple reason of planned obsolesce. It's one of the more annoying things of present-day consumerism.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Rather than messing with iTunes, try looking in the App Store app on your iPad. You should see a Purchased tab which lists all the apps you've bought in the App Store. You can re-download them from their.
Actually the App Store is worse to than iTunes in my situation...zero, zip, nada! At least iTunes shows the missing apps, it just can't reinstall. Nothing's been lost, I just can't it all on my iPad anymore since 'downgrading' back to iOS 7.1.2, and I can't run iOS 8.x.x - it's lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.9 KB, 7 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, my iPad 2 was balky and acted weird when I first loaded iOS 7 on it. But, many months of updates to the iOS and apps cleared up the problems. In my IT days our motto was to be six months or one release behind. Let others be on the bleeding edge. The only exception was security patches, and even those could be put off if the threat was not serious.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Actually the App Store is worse to than iTunes in my situation...zero, zip, nada! At least iTunes shows the missing apps, it just can't reinstall. Nothing's been lost, I just can't it all on my iPad anymore since 'downgrading' back to iOS 7.1.2, and I can't run iOS 8.x.x - it's lovely!
Yes, I noticed that some of my apps now won't work unless I update to iOS 8. I suspect there are security issues here that we are not being told about.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes, I noticed that some of my apps now won't work unless I update to iOS 8. I suspect there are security issues here that we are not being told about.
I'd be surprise if it isn't just developers who find it easier to make their apps iOS 8 only when they take advantage of some of the new APIs available in iOS 8.

I've seen reports that the iOS 8 adoption rate is already over 50% (https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/ reported it at 46% over a week ago 9/12/14). iPhone/iPad users update to the new OS very quickly and those who don't usually aren't the people who buy lots of apps.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I will probably update to iOS8, but given my experience with iOS7, I will wait a few months so as to give APPLE and the app developers time to fine tune the performance of things. My iOS experience indicates that is better than jumping in today.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally, I will probably update to iOS8, but given my experience with iOS7, I will wait a few months so as to give APPLE and the app developers time to fine tune the performance of things. My iOS experience indicates that is better than jumping in today.
Really wish I'd done the same, but I'd never had a bad experience with Apple OS updates before this. Again I think it's just an old processor that's just no match for their latest OS, not anything fundamentally wrong with iOS8. And again, my only criticism is that Apple shouldn't have included the original iPad2 (later iPad2's may be OK, they changed about Mar 2012) among the legitimate products to "upgrade" to iOS8. My 2 cents...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I think Apple continued to sell the iPad 2 a lot longer because they wanted to continue selling to some lower cost markets, like perhaps education.

Yeah it's mystifying why they tried to include it with iOS 8, unless to nudge people towards newer products.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'd be surprise if it isn't just developers who find it easier to make their apps iOS 8 only when they take advantage of some of the new APIs available in iOS 8. ...
Yep, and once they update their app to work with the latest iOS, the Apple app-store drops the old one. I bet some developers update something just to make it stand out ' iOS 8 compatible!!!! '. So unless you already downloaded and archived their old version, you may be out of luck.

That approach is one of the reasons I'm on Android. If you have old Apple hardware that is perfectly functional for lesser tasks but too old to upgrade to the latest iOS, it soon becomes obsolete - almost no apps will remain in the store for the older iOS. Hang onto your old apps, and hope they don't do a forced upgrade of an app - you'll be out of luck. iHeart radio was one for me - the old version stopped working because of other changes in their system, and my old device, which was fine as an internet-radio-player, couldn't run the newer app. So instead of buying a new iPod (this was a 'touch'), I bought a cheap Android tablet.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Actually that's one of the criticisms of Android. There are a lot of devices out in the field which are running Android revisions over 2 years old.

It's not just about features. Newest OSes often get security patches and newer drivers.

But it's often up to the manufacturers, unless you have a Nexus device which was sold by Google, to offer the newest releases for their devices. Some manufacturers have been criticized for appearing to drop support on one-year old devices, to push newer devices with the newest Android.