Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Another problem with GPS (this being a Garmin) is that there can be some major errors with the map...

I have had 3 times where I put in an address correctly... and when I get to my destination.... I am NOT where I need to be...

One time it was off almost 3 miles... another time we were looking for a hotel... drove up and down the street looking for it.. finally drove next to a McDonalds and looked it up on Google... it was just over 2 miles off... we just had not driven down the road far enough to find it...

The last one is our house... not as bad, but it thinks we live about 6 or so houses down the road...
I do use a used Garmin. Never trust it fully. Have paper maps, and do use them for frequent reality checks. Also print out Mapquest maps of destinations. Avoid Google like the plague. Do have laptop based maps as well. Belts and suspenders?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another problem with GPS (this being a Garmin) is that there can be some major errors with the map...

I have had 3 times where I put in an address correctly... and when I get to my destination.... I am NOT where I need to be...

One time it was off almost 3 miles... another time we were looking for a hotel... drove up and down the street looking for it.. finally drove next to a McDonalds and looked it up on Google... it was just over 2 miles off... we just had not driven down the road far enough to find it...

The last one is our house... not as bad, but it thinks we live about 6 or so houses down the road...
Try resetting your home point. That may fix the calibration which seems like it's off a bit. Also, update your points of interest or a map refresh.

It's worth a try. My Garmin is spot on all the time, but I tend to use coordinates more than streets.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I argued about spending the coin on NAV in her highlander. She disliked the wires from the garmin. At the end of the day, her car, her choice, but it will be salt in the wound if it breaks based on those prices.

Net result is I got upgraded to her old garmin, which had speed limits, which my earlier one didn't have. Happy enough.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Look, only one little wire:

DSCN0610.jpg
Old 07-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Try resetting your home point. That may fix the calibration which seems like it's off a bit. Also, update your points of interest or a map refresh.

It's worth a try. My Garmin is spot on all the time, but I tend to use coordinates more than streets.

My home point is spot on... I set it in the driveway... however, if I just put in my address like someone wanting to come to our house it shows 6 houses away...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #66

Quote:
My home point is spot on... I set it in the driveway... however, if I just put in my address like someone wanting to come to our house it shows 6 houses away...

Maybe you've been going to the wrong house all this time? (joke!)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #67

I really prefer to bring in my own technology. Sometimes I wish I could buy the equivalent of the old VW Beetle (well, it would have to have A/C and automatic transmission). Instead, everything is controlled by computers, all you get is a "check engine" light when something is wrong (or maybe it isn't) and half the time the mechanics can't figure it out and tell you it must be the computer. Our last Subaru had THREE catalytic converters. We know that because one went bad, we still had the problem, and the second one needed to be replaced. It's made the price of cars rise to ridiculous levels and made most repairs extremely expensive.

A few years ago, after replacing a microwave that was part of a microwave/oven unit (meaning I had to replace the oven, too), I learned my lesson about built-ins. We replaced it with an oven, a shelf above the oven and a free-standing microwave. The microwave died a month ago and it was a minor inconvenience.

I feel the same way about built-ins in cars. Too bad anything you buy off the lot (and, consequently, any car you buy used) is loaded to the gills with options.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kind of weird. What I would do is try to get a map update for the Garmin and then find your house on Google Earth and write down the Lat and Log. Then try to set your home point using the coordinates from Google Earth. It's worth a shot.

If it doesn't work, maybe e-mail Garmin and see what they say.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a database issue, not a GPS problem.
There are only 2 or 3 geographical database providers used by the big GPS makers, and the one used by your gadget (probably NAVTEQ) has the addresses wrong on your street.

I had the same issue, with my house being shown as three houses away (Google had it wrong, too).

I sent in a correction (can't remember the details, it was at least 6 or 7 years ago), and it was corrected in an update about a year later.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #70

For those who don't like video screens:

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a proposed rule Monday requiring all new light vehicles — including cars, SUVs, trucks and vans — to have "rear-view visibility systems," in effect, requiring backup cameras.
NHTSA to require backup cameras on all vehicles
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For those who don't like video screens:

NHTSA to require backup cameras on all vehicles
When we bought our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, option "three"was the tech package with large screen NAV, BU camera, etc. for $4,000 more. We declined and got option "two" which was a smaller screen (maybe 4" x 6") with a BU camera. Considerably less expensive and with the camera.

DW loves it, but still managed to back into my car in the driveway (phone use .)

Bottom line, at least Hyundai had a small screen option.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I've had my car (the OP is DW's car) for over two years and it came with a backup camera. I never look at the screen, I'd rather turn around and look. And the beep is annoying. I guess I'm a full fledged curmudgeon. YMMV

And get off my lawn...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My newest car is a 2000 and I've lost my electronic tachometer already. Since it's an automatic, a tach is just a toy, but I do miss it. I rarely hear or feel the car shift, so it's nice to watch it happen on the tach. I checked to see if the unit could be fixed and my mechanic started rubbing his whiskered chin. When he does that, I know it's going to be expensive. Needless to say, my tach is still broken.
>
As mentioned OBD II to iPhone apps can provide tach function.
Also choices like scan gauge or ultra gauge

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

https://www.google.com/search?q=obdii+display+speed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=obdii+display+gauge&rls= org.mozilla:en-USfficial&safe=of
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #74

I really like my newest built-in NAV system (2014 Toyota Sequoia). My only other vehicle with a built-in NAV is a C6 Corvette. I often will use a portable Garmin when I'm driving my other cars. Since I travel the "back roads" of the US a good bit, I find them very useful. I've found the NAV system in the Corvette doesn't always pick the best route or even present all reasonable routes. Sometimes it will tell me to make a turn where there is no road.. However, the Toyota NAV system has been flawless, so far. And I find the backup camera very useful.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Sad part is, I was just reading about how garmin type gps units are becoming obsolete. Sales have steadily declined despite rapidly falling prices. People are just using there smart phones. I know it is true for us. We have a garmin unit in each vehicle, and they just sit in the glove box. I now just use google maps on my iphone. I have a mount for it on my dash. The google maps totes and reroutes much faster. The estimated time of arrival is always spot on and factors on traffic. The traffic times seem much more instantaneous. Plus nothing to update, as it gets it's info from the Internet. I like how quick and easy it is to look up points of interest compared to a stand alone gps. These new phones are amazingly powerful and fast computers. Now I could see instances that a portable unit might have an advantage, such as poor cellular service, but my phone is my go to device now.

I agree that I would like to see some way to just display and control my phone in my vehicle. To have some kind of integration of an already owned device with already paid for cellular data would be great. Unfortunately when it does happen, someone else will want an additional monthly fee I am sure.
Google and Apple are both working with car makers to have their devices supported on the center screen in cars.

That and support for things like steering wheel mounted controls.

Again there is supposedly some kind of law, maybe it's a state law, to have all cars equipped with rear cameras by like 2018 or so. In that case, all cars would have some kind of screens.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Google and Apple are both working with car makers to have their devices supported on the center screen in cars.

That and support for things like steering wheel mounted controls.

Again there is supposedly some kind of law, maybe it's a state law, to have all cars equipped with rear cameras by like 2018 or so. In that case, all cars would have some kind of screens.

I don't know when I will buy my next car, but a rear camera would be nice. There are a lot of kids who run around and bike here, which I enjoy as I think they add "spirit", and anything that helps not running into something is welcome to me. I helped a kid today who was "stuck" in my driveway on his bike (the chain had popped off) and he was happy and so was I.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I don't know when I will buy my next car, but a rear camera would be nice.
Won't be long until you won't be able to buy a new car without one...

U.S. finalizes plan to phase in rearview camera mandate, starting in 2016

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I'm thinking that my next 'car' will be a 1948-52 Ford F-1 pickup, so I'm probably safe.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've had my car (the OP is DW's car) for over two years and it came with a backup camera. I never look at the screen, I'd rather turn around and look. And the beep is annoying. I guess I'm a full fledged curmudgeon. YMMV

And get off my lawn...
What beep? That's unrelated to a backup camera, at least on most cars.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Yeah, I know the woman behind the organization who advocated for this. She started with getting regulations enacted to put manual trunk releases in every car, so someone who was locked into the trunk could get out safely. (Someone had ambushed them at their home and locked them in the trunk of their car.) Cheap prevention- that was fine. Then she started on the backup cameras. I had one on a rented car and found it a distraction. I don't WANT one and now I have to have one if I buy a car built after 2015.

Fair warning: now she's starting on some sort of alarm for kids left in car seats in the back seat of the car and she's circulating a petition to get government funds to find a possible solution. Dammit, if they hadn't already insisted that you hide your baby in the back seat, facing the back of the car, that wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, get me a VW Beetle. The original version.