Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Problem is, on some makes, especially luxury imports, they're only available with NAV or they're part of a tech package of things you want like bluetooth and HID lights.

You can never configure these imports with the exact options you want. What is available to local dealers are cars which come with several packages each costing several thousand.

It's nice to have that screen built in but chances are, the latest iPad probably has a better screen in terms of resolution, color, brightness.

It would be better for car makers to put a dock so you can just mount your iPad easily and use its navigation.

But there is apparently a new law which will require car makers to have rear cameras standard on all cars. So there will have to be screens everywhere.

And you can tell the quality of those cameras and screens are worse than the cheapest web cams.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

BTW, dealers are part of the racket. They charge hundreds for a map update that only the dealer can do and the price is based on what the dealer thinks you'll pay.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
We had NAV as an option when we bought our last 2 Toyota's. I mean, thousands for what you can buy for hundreds?
NAW

Glad we just bought a Garmin and stuck it in the armrest compartment.
But, we do like that bluetooth thingy that hooks up to the phones.
Cause of that I named my car Gladys
(bonus points for anyone who can figure out why Gladys..........

(Hint; think TV show)
Since no one else stepped up, Gladys is from this (so bad it's good) TV series...

Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Never play with stuff until you know what your doing....
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Especially in the dark!
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It is not only the NAV system that can go wrong... in my Acura (no longer have), the radio decided to 'slightly' go out...

It was strange.. if it were really cold, the radio would barely have enough power going to the speaker to hear anything... and it was treble.. if you drove the car a bit and it warmed up... the sound would start to get louder and more full... but never like it was when it was first bought....

Like the OP, you had to replace the whole unit... which BTW had a cassette player included (it was a 2004)... AND, to make it even worse, there were NO after market units made to fit the car... you would have to build some kind of unit to hold something in the space where your old one was...

The one problem with these things is that there is more than just the radio in the unit.. it controls other components...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The one problem with these things is that there is more than just the radio in the unit.. it controls other components...
The increasingly complex electronic gizmos loaded into new cars are a growing reliability issue. From Consumer Reports:

Quote:
One of the key problem areas in Consumer Reports' survey centers on in-car electronics, including the proliferating suite of audio, navigation, communication, and connected systems in newer cars. Of the 17 problem areas CR asks about, the category including in-car electronics generated more complaints from owners of 2013 models than for any other category.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Garmin (with advice from here). It works great and I was able to drop it in a backpack when using a rental car (they wanted $11 a day for one of their GPS units!).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Most of these NAV/Entertainment/Control systems that are all-in-one units are just plain expensive to replace for the reasons mentioned above. It's not unique to one auto maker. If repair costs are an issue, they are best avoided, IMHO.

So are cars with very fancy wheels. Replacing the tyres is another 'surprise' for some owners.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Most of these NAV/Entertainment/Control systems that are all-in-one units are just plain expensive to replace for the reasons mentioned above. It's not unique to one auto maker. If repair costs are an issue, they are best avoided, IMHO.

So are cars with very fancy wheels. Replacing the tyres is another 'surprise' for some owners.

I agree. The one thing I did appreciate was Bluetooth to the audio. The GPS handled hands-off phone use. I think it's a Garmin 3590.

PSA: Never buying a (Toyota) nav system again?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

PSA: Never buying a (Toyota) nav system again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Especially in the dark!

It's amazing what you learn about a car after you have paid for it before you even looked at it. I just noticed heated seats for both seats today and blue tooth (though I don't know how to use it). A navigation system might be too much for my old school mind.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #31
Administrator

I have a glove compartment, in which reside a number of folding paper maps. I've never needed more.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's amazing what you learn about a car after you have paid for it before you even looked at it. I just noticed heated seats for both seats today and blue tooth (though I don't know how to use it). A navigation system might be too much for my old school mind.

I was new to Bluetooth. The thing to realize is you have to "pair" the devices correctly. Then they just do their thing. I discovered this while laying on the ground while a friendly dog was staring at me.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #33

There are after market units that will do the same thing for a much cheaper price. I have bought several from Crutchfield over the years and have had no problems with them.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

If you elect not to buy their NAV system, do you get a price adjustment on the final price of the car?
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #35

Quote:

I use the MAP nav system, same as Gumby. No GPS for me.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 AM   #36

We love our built-in nav systems and feel we got a great value from them.

Not everyone has major problems with them, and not everyone has the same preferences and values as every one else.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad part is, I was just reading about how garmin type gps units are becoming obsolete. Sales have steadily declined despite rapidly falling prices. People are just using there smart phones. I know it is true for us. We have a garmin unit in each vehicle, and they just sit in the glove box. I now just use google maps on my iphone. I have a mount for it on my dash. The google maps totes and reroutes much faster. The estimated time of arrival is always spot on and factors on traffic. The traffic times seem much more instantaneous. Plus nothing to update, as it gets it's info from the Internet. I like how quick and easy it is to look up points of interest compared to a stand alone gps. These new phones are amazingly powerful and fast computers. Now I could see instances that a portable unit might have an advantage, such as poor cellular service, but my phone is my go to device now.

I agree that I would like to see some way to just display and control my phone in my vehicle. To have some kind of integration of an already owned device with already paid for cellular data would be great. Unfortunately when it does happen, someone else will want an additional monthly fee I am sure.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #38

I'm not so sure. Unlike home broadband service, cellular broadband service is metered for most folks. With metered broadband service - at least - I think competition between service providers will preclude a separate fee, because the service provider is already getting money from you. The metered service might get pricey, depending on your usage.

Honda is supposed to be working with Google to put an Android-based or -like operating system on the dashboard of its vehicles. I would love to have maps.google.com be my GPS, have the device read me emails that come in while I'm driving, etc. When I use it (as a passenger) on my tablet with my Verizon Jetpack, it does a great job. If it could be adjusted to being used in a moving vehicle, like my current system (which does not only navigation but reads incoming TXT messages, etc.), that would be great.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

The problem with relying on a smart phone is if you are in an area with no coverage. Probably not a big deal for most, and I think as long as you plot the course while you have coverage you are ok, but there are a lot of dead spots where I live. Still, that's what I use. Actually my first option is to look at Google maps at home in advance and draw my own map or write out directions. This way I can check if it is trying to route me an odd way. One map program always (or used to) routes me home via a side road and then a walking trail.

There's no doubt in my mind I would only get an external nav system rather than built in. It's lower cost, more easily upgradeable, and portable if I want to take it when I fly and rent a car.

To the OP, I don't see why you can't swap in a working radio and just sell the car without GPS? Most cars have GPS as an option or only on a high trim level so the dash can be with or without GPS so there must be a way to make it without.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Google maps operates just fine with no cell coverage, just download the maps in advance.

By the way, am I the only one here who would pay extra *not* to have a screen in the car? I realize I'm a bit of an outlier, but I detest the proliferation of TV and screens in our world. Remember when you could go to an airport or a barber or a waiting room and not listen to the drivel of the day?

Now get off my lawn....
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote