PSA Thanks Weather Channel!

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just thought I'd pass this along:
A few years ago the Weather Channel started naming storms.

Seems that every rainy day and minor snowstorm is given a name which, IMO was simply a marketing ploy. It put every storm on par with Hurricane Ike, Irma and such. "Tune in and see the latest on rainstorm Charlie!!! Your area is going to get a half inch of rain!!" Be afraid! Keep watching!

Now, my local marina has just advised that "We not responsible for damage caused by any named storms". If you're boat was damaged by "Winter Storm Riley", they are off the hook despite any negligence on their part.
Years ago, during our famous 'No Name Storm' they covered any damage due to negligence.

I wonder what other services will be able to claim not liable after an inch of snow from a 'named' storm. To me, there's a difference between these newly named storms and a major event like a hurricane etc.

Folks might want to check their insurance policies. FYI

Seems like you should be blaming your local marina for a stupid policy, rather than the Weather Channel.

Maybe you need to find a better marina.

I was going to doubt you that the Weather channel is the one naming storms, but a quick google confirms that they do indeed name winter storms.

I've pretty much given up on them. Not just the histrionics, but online their web page is incredible slow to load, with videos I don't care to see at all. They've overdone it.

For an actual real major storm, I'm still entertained by the on-site reporters they send into storms. Don't plan on golfing if you see Jim Cantore pull into town.

I was going to doubt you that the Weather channel is the one naming storms, but a quick google confirms that they do indeed name winter storms.

I've pretty much given up on them. Not just the histrionics, but online their web page is incredible slow to load, with videos I don't care to see at all. They've overdone it.

For an actual real major storm, I'm still entertained by the on-site reporters they send into storms. Don't plan on golfing if you see Jim Cantore pull into town.

Yes, nothing educates us like seeing Jim Cantore or Mike Seidel on the street during a hurricane and announcing "it's really windy and rainy! Look! That was a palm frond blowing down the street!!",,,,I mean, who would have guessed?

I would argue that only the National Weather Service can officially name a storm.... so if they are not doing it then it is not named...

I'm currently enjoying warm sunny day Cccharlie. We're having to add letters to the front of the name due to having so many of them.

I'm with Texas Proud. If the NWS doesn't name it, it's still covered by the marina. I'd like to see their lawyer argue that one in court.

Not too long ago, I flipped on TWC to see the coverage of some winter event. The "name" of the storm was on the screen in 7 different areas AT THE SAME TIME. I am highly annoyed with how weather is reported on TV. Such as: multiple windows on the screen like TWC does (it basically looks like an app on your phone) or how local weather folks will stand in front of a flat panel TV showing a map, which of course covers only about 20% of the screen. That's why we all own 50+ inch TVs now...otherwise you can't see a damn thing.

For the most part, I read the scientific discussion from the NWS...it tells me what I would like to know and it satisfies the weather nerd that's in me. :)

I would argue that only the National Weather Service can officially name a storm.... so if they are not doing it then it is not named...
Exactly!

How can an insurance company claim the storm was named by an unofficial entity?

+1 exactly what I was thinking.

Plus, just because the marina claims that they are not responsible for damage doesn't make it so, only a court of law can ultimately make that determination based on the fact and circumstances that caused the damage.

Last edited:
OP here. All very good points especially on who gets to formally name storms. While I haven't had any damage I thought I'd pass it along as a PSA.

I was half expecting someone here to inform me that TWC is required to name storms due to some gov't policy but it does indeed seem to be a marketing thing to help create panic where there shouldn't be any. I've lost what little respect I had for them.

I have no idea about names for other storms. To me that practice seems a little weird; maybe it is indeed related to insurance issues.

The naming practice began as a way to distinguish for communication purposes between multiple concurrent storms.

Yeah, I'm going with the "just because 'someone' calls a storm a name doesn't make it a 'named' storm" camp.

The naming practice began as a way to distinguish for communication purposes between multiple concurrent storms.

Nope-was done for clicks and eyeballs. NWS asked them to reconsider -TWC refused. (Most) people can see on the TV/PC map that the rainy thing over Miami is not the same one as the rainy thing over Missoula. I gave up TWC years ago for over-hyping every d@mn weather event. :mad:

Nope-was done for clicks and eyeballs. NWS asked them to reconsider -TWC refused. (Most) people can see on the TV/PC map that the rainy thing over Miami is not the same one as the rainy thing over Missoula. I gave up TWC years ago for over-hyping every d@mn weather event. :mad:

Cyclone naming began in the US during the 1950s, earlier elsewhere.

Most meteorologists are not happy with TWC's decision. It is a gimmick.

That your marina uses this as an excuse is crazy.

and I was wondering what the Weather Channel had to do with my Prostate Screening Antigen.

Ask them to define "named storm." They might mean only named tropical storms / hurricanes that are officially named by NOAA or the NWS.

I can name the drizzle we're having today if I want to, but that doesn't make it a "named storm."

Cyclone naming began in the US during the 1950s, earlier elsewhere.

Clarification - I was referring to TWC decision a few years ago to start naming routine snowfalls as storms and assigning a "name." Look to them to start naming rainfall events in the near future.

Regarding who can name storms for this purpose, it is strictly a contract matter. If the contract says anyone, it is anyone. If the contract does not define "named storm" it will be "see you in court", and the NWS angle will be pretty strong.

You should ask for the revised contract if you have not seen (or signed) it. It could be your contract/lease for your boat slip, or maybe their insurance contract.

Regarding who can name storms for this purpose, it is strictly a contract matter. If the contract says anyone, it is anyone. If the contract does not define "named storm" it will be "see you in court", and the NWS angle will be pretty strong.

You should ask for the revised contract if you have not seen (or signed) it. It could be your contract/lease for your boat slip, or maybe their insurance contract.

Right.
My intent with my original post was to alert others to similar wording as it might pertain to liability in other areas as well as to vent about my least favorite TV channel. It was gratifying here to learn that others share my view.

At this time I have no problem with my marina and, after being a client for over 40 years, don't expect anything in the future; but one never knows. They do require full insurance on the owner's part anyway before taking you on.

As an aside, marinas in this part of the world are hard to come by and sadly hold the cards in many respects; negotiating can lead to a reminder that there is a 10 year waiting list to get in.

So, this wasn't so much about the marina's position on named storms but more about how a TV show can possibly impose changes to liability--at least through implication/suggestion--if not in a true legal sense.

Most meteorologists are not happy with TWC's decision. It is a gimmick.

Synopsis: only the Weather Channel uses its names; everyone else thinks the Weather Channel is self-serving and useless. Hopefully the OP’s marina thinks so too.

I should add that most boaters and aviators, and for that matter most everyone who has a healthy respect for Mother Nature, agrees with these statements.

We all need to keep the pressure on the buffoons at TWC to stop hyping up every modest weather event. Crying wolf may gain viewers, but it will also lull the public into complacency when a REAL storm is approaching.

Ask them to define "named storm." They might mean only named tropical storms / hurricanes that are officially named by NOAA or the NWS.

I can name the drizzle we're having today if I want to, but that doesn't make it a "named storm."

+1. And NOAA and NWS have Berated TWC for naming storms as people will equate dangerous situations with a marketing ploy.

Back
Top Bottom