Join Early Retirement Today

PSA: World Backup Day
Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

PSA: World Backup Day

Sunday is World Backup Day. As always, it’s observed on March 31—the day before April Fool’s Day, when it’s especially important to protect yourself from pranks and other mishaps.

Many of us make it a habit to routinely back up our computers/phones/tablets to a safe place, but I suspect some of us might benefit from a reminder.

World Backup Day
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At first glance I thought - Prostate Specific Antigen, and with the biopsies coming up I'd better check in......never mind.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Yes... back up... but where... My Google Drive is almost full @18.3 GB of 19.
My 2 TB drive just went south... it's there, but my computer doesn't access it by showing anything except that it exists, in my windows apps.
Wha Happen?

My 113,000 jpgs will be lost to posterity as will thousands of personal videos.
Now my 1T computer drive is humming and I don't expect it to last much longer.

I guess it's ok, 'cuz I'm the only one who cares.

That said, all financial and legal "stuff" (deeds, titles, certificates etc. ) is backed up on DVD's and on thumb drives.

After all, who'll care about seeing a video of me surfing @ Daytona Beach in 2011, or pics of our wedding in 1958.

Anyway... if anyone tries to get into my information, I have a retaliatory program called "Overkill" which will destroy the hackers' computer, house and car.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I do backups at the end of every month, so March 31st will simply be one of 12 regular backups.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I lost a HD a few weeks ago, most was backedup but reinstalling everything was not fun.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sunday is World Backup Day. As always, it’s observed on March 31—the day before April Fool’s Day, when it’s especially important to protect yourself from pranks and other mishaps.

Many of us make it a habit to routinely back up our computers/phones/tablets to a safe place, but I suspect some of us might benefit from a reminder.

World Backup Day
Hey, I already ran all my backups yesterday!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Backblaze. https://www.backblaze.com/ continuous backups running in the backgroud of internal and USB drives. Remote access to your files from anywhere. Encrypted protection.

$6/month or $60/year.

A no brainer . . this has saved me several times.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Backblaze and am not recommending this service . . . . merely disclosing that it has worked as a solution for me
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

After all, who'll care about seeing a video of me surfing @ Daytona Beach in 2011, or pics of our wedding in 1958.

You know, I've asked myself the same question recently. Outside of the "important" papers that one needs to leave behind, no one (in my small family anyway) will care about all the other "stuff" left on a hard drive or in a cloud like tons of photos, old work documents that are in a folder called "work files", pdf's I've saved of shipping notices, old receipts, and on, and on.

I gave DD our old family photo albums last year (prior marriage photos, her Mom, etc) and she just stuck them in a closet. I'll leave her behind what she will really need when the time comes.

Honestly, I just can't get worked up about a lot of old files on magnetic media or on some server farm in the middle of China.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When we were kids, my friend lived with his aunt who had a dog named Fred. Fred had a heart condition. The dog came down the basement and the aunt shouted down "don't let Fred back up. He'll have a heart attack" (from climbing the stairs).

Later, Fred was playing and started sort of walking backwards...backing up...another friend grabbed him saying "No Fred, don't back up! You'll die!"

Sorry. Another marko tangent.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

As long as you’re taking a little time to check up on your back up(s), you can also reboot your router and make sure the firmware is current.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Mar 31st is also my fiftieth. So if you dont backup for yourselves, do it for my birthday!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote