Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria
Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Puerto Rico and Hurricane Maria

As of September 16th "About 80,000 of the island’s customers are still without electricity, according the power authority, PREPA. Earlier this week it was 200,000, according to PREPA's executive director Ricardo Ramos Rodríguez. "

Puerto Ricans Turn to the Black Market for Power After Hurricane Irma

Sounds like doom and gloom.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Authorities in Puerto Rico, which faces the possibility of a direct hit, warned that people in wooden or flimsy homes should find safe shelter before the storm's expected arrival on Wednesday.

"You have to evacuate. Otherwise, you're going to die. I don't know how to make this any clearer," said Hector Pesquera, the island's public safety commissioner.https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurrica...te-09-19-2017/

Yeah I would say this guy doesnt mince words. This is how you have to talk to people, regular people relate to this message. All that stuff about "we wont be able to rescue you if you stay is nonsense. When you say it like that it means we will still try after we told you to leave. Clear, and pointed message.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

100 % without power, yeah, this place has problems.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been there many times. Give a Puerto Rican an ice chest and he is selling water at intersections. Give him a grill and he has a roadside restaurant along a highway.

Somehow they find a way to live--very entrepreneurial and independent people.

I get a kick out of watching some raising children speaking Spanish, some speaking English and many speaking NewYorican. They also speak Spanenglish fluently. And I wonder how many older Puerto Rican look at Miami television all the time and cannot speak any English.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
100 % without power, yeah, this place has problems.

The USVI's will likely not have power for several months across much of the island. After Marilyn in 1995, most of the island didn't get power for 6-9 months. Dealing with catastrophic hurricanes is much harder on a remote island as everything has to be flown or boated in, and the distance from resources needed is huge.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I visited Dominica once. A small independent country, densely forested and known as the “nature isle”. Quite poor, largely dependent on agriculture and ecotourism. I’ve seen the post Maria flyover videos. The forest has been ripped apart and many homes are without roofs. They have no large country affiliation to help recover from this catastrophe. This will set Dominica back by decades. That’s where I want my aid donation to go.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

Presumably at least some of what was damaged in Puerto Rico is insured. This event might be the shot in the arm for the PR economy.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Presumably at least some of what was damaged in Puerto Rico is insured. This event might be the shot in the arm for the PR economy.
100% correct. There will be a lot of money flowing into PR in the next few years. For the ones who can figure it out, this will be a boon. Many millionaires will be created.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Certainly "some" insurance but not as much as would be useful.

From the Wall Streel Journal:
Quote:
Many Puerto Rican homeowners don’t have insurance policies to help with rebuilding in the wake of Hurricane Maria, making the economically depressed island’s recovery more difficult.

Only about 50% of houses in the U.S. territory are covered by policies that protect against wind damage, which is far less than is typical across the U.S.
The lower penetration of homeowners insurance reflects that annual income averages about $20,000 in Puerto Rico, which is about a third of roughly $59,000 in the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia
Insurance on commercial buildings, including condominium towers dotting the island, is far more common... About 90% of properties are covered.
More at https://www.wsj.com/articles/hurrica...nce-1505940660

Though that's probably not accessible to everyone (hence the quoted text).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #10

Still no juice at all. Remember 80,000 have none since Irma hit. This might be a buying opportunity, How much longer before people start waving the white flag?

They are still surveying the damage. Doesnt look good.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I understand that the dam has just burst due to overload; is it a stupid question, (I'm not an engineer, so really don't have clue one), to ask why the possibility of this wasn't anticipated beforehand, (after all, they knew the storm was coming), and the runoffs activated before the outflow became problematic?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I understand that the dam has just burst due to overload; is it a stupid question, (I'm not an engineer, so really don't have clue one), to ask why the possibility of this wasn't anticipated beforehand, (after all, they knew the storm was coming), and the runoffs activated before the outflow became problematic?
Im thinking Timeshares in Puerto Rico are getting cheaper by the minute.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Im thinking Timeshares in Puerto Rico are getting cheaper by the minute.
But what possible use are they if you can't commute to Disney World?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote