Pulled the final plug for FIRE

tightasadrum

Full time employment: Posting here.
Three weeks ago I finally made the last step. I retired, at least I'm not commuting 130 miles per day through the Atlanta hellhole of traffic. But here's the odd thing. In the last three weeks I have not had a minute of rest! I have been going non-stop. Is this unusual? I didn't work this hard when I was working full-time. Now part of this time is dealing with rental property leasing for 2008-2009, but I've dealt with that for years while I was working. What concerns me is this: does the clock speed change after you retire? Does the time really speed up so you can't get as much done? Is this some governmental conspiracy?

Or do things simple take longer to do because you're mentally not driven to hurry as much? I did plant a garden which was new this year. And DW has received more attention and help, so I suppose all these little things add up. And I've noticed that people now expect me to "be available" for aid and support whereas before they probably just didn't ask. But I find that by the end of the day I'm exhausted.

Anyone else experience this time warping phenomenon? :confused:

Yes , I have experienced this strange phenomenon a few times . Once when I went from full time to part time and then when I retired . My conclusion is that the things you have to do just expand to fill the space you have available . For example , Breakfast used to be a ten minute grab and run now it's a leisurely two cups of coffee while I answer my email and start the crossword puzzle .

Or do things simple take longer to do because you're mentally not driven to hurry as much? I did plant a garden which was new this year. ...Anyone else experience this time warping phenomenon? :confused:
It's something that I have grappled with. The whole "I've got to get this done this week, because next week is going to be busy at w*rk" is no longer around to spur me with imposed deadlines. I find that I sometimes can get too in depth with projects and eventually realize that I spent a week doing something that should have only taken two days to complete.

"Work expands to fill the time alloted for it".

Yes, I noticed the same phenomenon. Sometimes it takes two days to cut the grass.

My Dad has been retired for 26 years and he tells me he's really busy all the time. When I go visit, I can't see it. They both 'piddle' around so much it's amusing, but it doesn't matter one whit.

I read a post here a while ago from someone retired who said he 'has the time to do things right now' so it takes longer to do everything. When he was working and had a project at home it was 'I've got 2 days to paint the house' and that's what it took even if he did a sh__ty job. It takes longer now, but he's much more satisfied with the results of his work now. Made sense to me...

What concerns me is this: does the clock speed change after you retire? Does the time really speed up so you can't get as much done? Is this some governmental conspiracy?
As others have noted, the human tendancy is to let a task expand to fill the available time.

And DW has received more attention and help, so I suppose all these little things add up.
I suggest that giving DW more attention and help is a BIG (good!) thing, not a little one! :D

Back
Top Bottom