Join Early Retirement Today

Pulte Homes - Experiences?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pulte Homes - Experiences?

Does anybody have experience purchasing a new home from Pulte? They build all over the country, but I am particularly interested in the South FL area. We found one that we love and makes sense for us, but there are lots of negative reviews online. Would love first-hand feedback. Thank you in advance!

Karloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I canít help but itís not clear from your post if you are going to have a new Pulte home built or buying one that is already built. If itís not already built you can monitor the process closely. Around here (DC area) they are mostly upper mid-level builders but the final product can vary from one location to the next.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I canít help but itís not clear from your post if you are going to have a new Pulte home built or buying one that is already built. If itís not already built you can monitor the process closely. Around here (DC area) they are mostly upper mid-level builders but the final product can vary from one location to the next.
Thank you. We are looking into purchasing one, but have not fully decided yet. We were thinking of making a deposit this week when I started reading literally hundreds of negative reviews and horror stories.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a Pulte resale home two years ago in Arizona. It was built in 2006. We are the third owner, have no complaints with construction. Good chance we'll have a new one built by them next year. We bought a small starter home not knowing how well we would like the area. Ready to upgrade!
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #5

I would think a Pulte home built in Florida is okay. Florida building codes are very specific, and homes built there are closely monitored by the local authorities to hurricane standards.

Go for it if you like the floorplan.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
We found one that we love and makes sense for us,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
itís not clear from your post if you are going to have a new Pulte home built or buying one that is already built.
Quote:
We are looking into purchasing one,
Itís still not clear to me if youíre building or buying one that is already built. However, in my opinion, youíre going to get a lot of negative reviews from a home builder. Itís a very frustrating process for buyer and builder.

If the house is already built and you want it, just spend a few more bucks and a bit more time and find a very thorough inspector that you hire directly and walk around with as they do the inspection. If itís a Pulte development, get to talk with a few others in the neighborhood/development. Problems tend to be similar if the builder is doing them all together. Similar plans, tradesmen, suppliers, materials . . . so others might be experiencing problems if there are any.

If youíre building and this is your first building, donít do it. If you do, add about 25% to any budget/estimate and hang on. Itís one hell of a ride. Youíll learn a lot.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If youíre building and this is your first building, donít do it. If you do, add about 25% to any budget/estimate and hang on. Itís one hell of a ride. Youíll learn a lot.
Actually, "building" a house via a builder like Pulte is more like buying a car than building a custom home. The final price will be agreed upon and be the final contract price, signed by both parties before anything begins. There will be no overages or anything like that.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Actually, "building" a house via a builder like Pulte is more like buying a car than building a custom home. The final price will be agreed upon and be the final contract price, signed by both parties before anything begins. There will be no overages or anything like that.
Agree, big difference between custom and tract. We went down the custom road twice and backed out each time. The process just wasnít for us. The costs are also very different. We could buy from a tract builder for about $200/sq ft. Custom was into the low $300ís per sq ft.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
It’s still not clear to me if you’re building or buying one that is already built. However, in my opinion, you’re going to get a lot of negative reviews from a home builder. It’s a very frustrating process for buyer and builder.

If the house is already built and you want it, just spend a few more bucks and a bit more time and find a very thorough inspector that you hire directly and walk around with as they do the inspection. If it’s a Pulte development, get to talk with a few others in the neighborhood/development. Problems tend to be similar if the builder is doing them all together. Similar plans, tradesmen, suppliers, materials . . . so others might be experiencing problems if there are any.

If you’re building and this is your first building, don’t do it. If you do, add about 25% to any budget/estimate and hang on. It’s one hell of a ride. You’ll learn a lot.
The house is *not* built. It would be the standard big developer / new construction process: you make a deposit, then sign a contract, then they start building based on your choices and options, then you close once the house is ready, presumably about 8 months or so later. We loved the model we saw and they have a promo where they give you $30K in upgrades at no cost to you. I was almost ready to give them the $5K deposit until I started digging deeper... Literally hundreds and hundreds of horror stories out there...

You can read more about how this journey started on this thread:
Sell our condo to buy a new house, or keep it and use as rental?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not live in a Pulte homes but I know of a few people who do and I have never heard any complaints about the homes or the developments .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #11

Sister had one custom built. It went on schedule, but she hired a mitigator and a lawyer to resolve some things early on, smooth sailing after that. Like everything, even though new it still will have its issues. First year warranty covers a lot, but depends on how diligent the owners were.

My sisters walls and foundation appeared to settle after the year mark so they have to deal with the gaps upstairs before they can sell.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a Pulte home in Apex, NC from 2010-2018. It was a well built home. My only complaint is the A/C sub-contractor used a bimetallic copper/aluminum evaporator coil (tubes/frame) for both zones and they corroded in less than 10 years. I replaced with all aluminum.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a Pulte home built for us in Ohio and enjoyed it. No big problems. Customer services was very good as I recall
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The quality of production homes vary by city. Pulte is not a high end builder. They can build a decent home, or a disappointing home, so you’ll find good and bad reviews - same for any builder. It depends on the contractors and supervision. If there’s a lot of turnover in supervision, I’d hesitate. We’ve built new once (a bad experience), and we may do it again if we can’t find a resale we like. I’d recommend
a) using a realtor, don’t work directly with the builders sales rep they represent the builder, not you, and the realtor doesn’t cost you anything,
b) walk the neighborhood and ask current residents about their buying experience and their finished home, we walked a neighborhood in July that had five supervisors in two years and the homeowner had a lot of problems that had to be corrected, and
c) find and use your own independent inspector to lookout for your interests to make sure any deficiencies are corrected as they come up. A realtor can recommend good inspectors if you can’t find one yourself.

I’d caution you to take the Pulte experiences of others in other neighborhoods, cities and states with a grain of salt. Pulte is a value production builder, so they’ll probably have more bad reviews than many other (somewhat higher $) production builders. For example Toll Bros is 2-3X the cost of Pulte and you’re more likely to get a better home, but even they’ve had some disaster neighborhoods (Bucks County PA). New construction quality is very location and builder supervision specific.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
It would be the standard big developer / new construction process: you make a deposit, then sign a contract, then they start building based on your choices and options, then you close once the house is ready, presumably about 8 months or so later.
I went through this exact process with Pulte once before, and I ended up being quite satisfied with the quality and durability of the home in almost every way. I was pretty impressed with how well it held up over the years and how low-maintenance it was, with the only major expenses being the usual and expected things (like a new roof after 16 years).

Based on my experience, I would absolutely buy a Pulte-built house again.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #16

Pulte is just a corporation; the houses will be built by different contractors under different legal entities. Odds are very good that the same contractors will do drywall on a Pulte home on Monday and Tuesday and then the rest of the week work down the road on a DR Horton home. The development you buy in will be incorporated as something like "Pulte of S. Fla Vista Homes 123" and you *will* have to agree to binding arbitration among other things.

What is important is how Pulte will support you after the sale. When (not IF) you have warranty issues, how will Pulte respond? That is where the reviews/experiences of others come in.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Pulte is just a corporation; the houses will be built by different contractors under different legal entities. Odds are very good that the same contractors will do drywall on a Pulte home on Monday and Tuesday and then the rest of the week work down the road on a DR Horton home. The development you buy in will be incorporated as something like "Pulte of S. Fla Vista Homes 123" and you *will* have to agree to binding arbitration among other things.

What is important is how Pulte will support you after the sale. When (not IF) you have warranty issues, how will Pulte respond? That is where the reviews/experiences of others come in.
Fully agree. We did ask around and visited the area multiple times, during the day, at night, etc. Every single person we spoke to had some issues, from very minor to cracked floors. They said these were all taken care of, but all of these folks had been there for a year or less. My concern is what happens after the honeymoon is over and you are on your own. At least, it seems it would be that way based on hundreds of disgruntled owners all over the country...
Old 01-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Fully agree. We did ask around and visited the area multiple times, during the day, at night, etc. Every single person we spoke to had some issues, from very minor to cracked floors. They said these were all taken care of, but all of these folks had been there for a year or less. My concern is what happens after the honeymoon is over and you are on your own. At least, it seems it would be that way based on hundreds of disgruntled owners all over the country...
What is the difference being on your own after a year warranty in a 1 year old house and being on your own from day 1 on a resale house? You will never buy a trouble free home that is forever under warranty. Sooner or later you're coming out of pocket to fix and maintain it. No amount of new or custom or inspections will get around that.

I had a home built by a similar builder to Pulte, but perhaps a little more "high end". It was still a tract home though. We had very minor issues with the house in the first year that were taken care of in a timely manner. We had major issues with the lot though and the fixes were labor and $ intensive. It took almost the full year to have it all straightened out, but to my surprise it was eventually all fixed and fixed correctly. I never left any sort of online review positive or negative.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #19

Not to be a jerk, but to me, a warranty is close to worthless. If it isn’t done right the first time, it’s never right and you’ll have some sort of unacceptable, to me, compromise you’ll have to make. No house is perfect so you have to go with something but if something like the foundation is bad, I’d want bought out of the house. They won’t do that. Pulte is big enough to handle the risk. Have a lawyer look at the contract to make sure you’re covered as well as you can be and that you know what risk you’re taking on.