Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Pricey home in the flashy town or safe college town?
Whoopie! This is the one time I can buy the pricey house in the flashy town on the cheap. Caution to the winds! 5 15.63%
I feel safer with the college town with stable prices, employment if I want to work and low crime. Safe and secure for me. 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Koolau, how should one pronounce your handle? Do you pronounce all the vowels separately, since it is Hawaiian?

Just curious.
Amethyst,

Hawaiian it is - name of one of two mountain ranges on Oahu and not far from my house. It means north or windward. Fell in love with them the second I saw them.

Not yet fully indoctrinated in the Hawaiian pronunciation but best I can do is

Koh-as in Coke
Oh
LAU-as in laud

The subtleties of the pronunciation include a Hawaiian glottal stop after the Ko syllable. Also, most Hawaiian words have the accent on the next to last syllable. But not always. In the case of Koolau, the accent is sort of on the last syllable - if any accent at all.

Hope this isn't TMI. DW says I have a one track mind and here I thought it was wahine!

See pictures at:

Koolau Mountains Pictures - Oceania stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the best of all possible worlds for Oldbabe, she would buy a 1200 sq ft. bungalow in Santa Barbara (college town AND pricey town), living happily ever after, growing roses and artichokes and riding her bike to the beach.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Right on...I'm with 'ya, Oldbabe. That's the coolest idea of all!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I abstained from voting because I did not understand nor like either choice.

I would like to say that Amethyst's house is very nice, and not Mc anything. For a single person, a house like W2R's looks plenty.

Compared to the new McMansions of 3000 sqft, mine is just a McHome. It was built in 1986, and was originally only 2400sqft. We added an extension to make it 2800sqft when my 2nd child became a toddler (he will be 20 soon).

Attached is a Google Earth picture of the neighborhood. As you can see, the lots aren't that big. The houses are 2-story, and typically have a tile roof, and are of the older vintage where rooftop ACs were allowed (newer subdivisions all have AC on the ground).

We are only 9 miles from the state university, so it is very convenient for my children to go to school. However, the population of the surrounding metropolitan area is around 4.5 million, so it's no college town.

Google Earth only has an age-old coverage of the boonie area of my 2nd home, prior to it being there. Been too busy working and have not been up in 2 months.

PS. Just notice one house got its swimming pool turning all green. Mosquito swamp! Someone calls the city!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NW-BoundNeighborhood.jpg (178.3 KB, 30 views)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Found a picture of my 2nd home in the high-country boonies of AZ, and a view from the same deck in the winter.

Neither of my homes fit in the two choices offered in the poll !

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote