Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think I actually have 465 things.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I don't think I actually have 465 things.

Between various RF connectors, cables, audio and video adapters, resistors and capacitors, I have easily triple that. Then there is all the test instruments and other stuff. Now if I count tools..... eh never mind.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Discoverd recently that I lost any interest in electronics, hope to find a HAM radio club to donate most of it.
This part of is99's post stopped me short. The same phenomenon happened to me a few years ago. I had a part time computer repair and building business that kept my DD and I very busy for about 4 years. One day, I just couldn't face another motherboard or hard drive and gave the business up in its entirity. Passed the customer base a another shop for a few beans and that was it.

What it left me with was hundreds of cables, parts, old computers, printers, you name it. I'm STILL purging that stuff and have totally lost interest in electronics.

Strange things happen when you get older, I guess.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have recently started doing this. Tired of all the junk in the garage so I hauled two huge truck loads of stuff to the dump, including a few left over shingles from when we had a new roof put on in 1994. Why I kept all this stuff I have no idea.
That got me going to went through the kitchen and took a whole lot of stuff down to the Goodwill. Started in the hall closets, and when the rain sets in I'll finish the upstairs. Then for the real challenge, the basement.

It feels good to get rid of stuff and simplify things. Also when my time comes, no one will have to face the mountains of stuff in the house.

I use the same criteria as mentioned above. If it hasn't been used in a year and holds no monetary or sentimental value, out it goes. If it turns out I do have a need for the item later on, I'll just buy another.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #45

Turns out we've all been practicing the Swedish art of "death cleaning":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...bb9_story.html
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
Turns out we've all been practicing the Swedish art of "death cleaning":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...bb9_story.html
Yep. After we got back home a few months ago from death cleaning MILs home with full basement (midwest) I threw away more stuff. Mind you, I had been purging for at least a year in preparation for a major remodel and had patted myself on the back for a job well done. With 5 bedrooms, one of them is designated as a 'storage room'.

When we got back home, I told DH, no storage room...if he wanted to keep more stuff, it will go into the garage and his car will be parked in the driveway . We're still negotiating that but I have drawn a line in the sand. He's a packrat and didn't say a word when I threw out a few more things after we got home...in fact, he was as frustrated, disgusted, whatever, as I was in clearing out MILs home for sale.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #47

It would all be a lot easier if my Major Metropolitan Area weren't so into recycling and sustainability. I'm actually pretty good at designating things to be decluttered--it's the wanting to be a good earthling and not just toss everything in the trash that can then stop me cold.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I sold more than $5000 worth of my Tools and my Compressor in the last 2 week. 1 Nice rolling mechanics toolbox, 500 sockets 250 Wrenches, cordless drills etc. My garage has never looked so uncluttered. No more sports car conversions/renos for me in the near future, and if I do I will just buy the tools as I need them. I certainly do not need that many. And, as I am only interested in foreign sports cars, they will all be metric from now on.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I sold more than $5000 worth of my Tools and my Compressor in the last 2 week. 1 Nice rolling mechanics toolbox, 500 sockets 250 Wrenches, cordless drills etc. My garage has never looked so uncluttered. No more sports car conversions/renos for me in the near future, and if I do I will just buy the tools as I need them. I certainly do not need that many. And, as I am only interested in foreign sports cars, they will all be metric from now on.
OMG!!

I hope my DW doesn't see the above post.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #50

The school where I worked before retirement is having two drives tomorrow: ewaste/anything else.

DH and I have both cars full of stuff to drop off in the morning. While very, very happy about getting rid of it all, there is plenty more to divest.

It is a start.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

As I posted on another thread my DH finally saw the light and I am shocked. So spent today purging and making decisions about stuff he has had in boxes for 10 years and making initial decision and then putting things in boxes for him to look through. So much junk that he should not have been saving. What got through to him when nothing else would is I said recently that I had been purging my stuff so that my kids would not have too. I said your kids will be so sad and miserable when they have to go through your stuff because you couldn't deal. WE had to do that with his mom and some of the stuff we have now is hers and his grandmother's. That was the lightbulb moment.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote