Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

My favourite purse has two straps: a shorter one to carry it over my shoulder and an extra long one so that I can sling the purpose diagonally across, which pretty much makes it snatch proof .

I NEVER leave my purse unattended when grocery shopping, it's always slung across my body so no one can grab it and run without ripping my head off in the process!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
this thread is USELESS without pics..
Ask and ye shall receive....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mypoliceshirt.jpg (580.2 KB, 3 views)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But do you wear your police pants?
No...I was never issued police panties pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #24
Administrator

I like your police shirt, BbbamI! Looks good.

I confess that I put my purse (shoulder bag) in the child's seat of the shopping cart. It's heavy!! It is a relief to be able to put it down.

I do carry my purse on my shoulder if I am shopping in an unfamiliar store. I also carry it on my shoulder if I am not holding the shopping cart handle with at least one hand, and after checking out between the store and my Venza.

When not pushing a shopping cart, I not only have the strap over my shoulder but also I hold the purse (not just the strap) firmly with one hand.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My hobby is junking in funky thrift stores for fun and sometimes finding valuable items that others have thrown away. I cannot tell you the times I have seen a woman walking thru one of these places crying cause they put their purse in the cart and someone stole it. Quelle surprise? Who do these women think shops in junky places like that? Rich people? (OK, me and a few others are the exception, but most people go to these places cause they have little money--making the purse in the cart just a sitting duck.)
Dumb.

I learned years ago when I started going to thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, any department store at all, to put my purse on the ground and step into the strap (then it's around your ankle) so nobody can get it. Never had a problem ever. It helps to be paranoid I think.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #26

I have a small purse. No long shoulder strap so I have it over my left shoulder and it fits under my upper arm or in the store it's always hanging from my elbow. It can get a little beat up when shopping because it's always banging into the cart when I load or unload. But I never let go of it.

When I get to the car, often I will open the car door, HOLD MY KEYS, toss in my purse and cover it with a jacket. Then I lock the door and unload the cart into the trunk. I try to park my car in the space next to the cart corral so that I'm not walking off too far to park the cart. It also means that only one car parks next to me and lessens the chance of someone bumping my car with their door.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I learned years ago when I started going to thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, any department store at all, to put my purse on the ground and step into the strap (then it's around your ankle) so nobody can get it. Never had a problem ever. It helps to be paranoid I think.
OK, help me with this one. Is it on your leg like a ball and chain?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The first time I ever saw the purse in the shopping cart was when I moved to Florida . I was amazed that women would do that . I always have a small purse across my body while I shop . It must come from years of living in New Jersey .
Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The first time I ever saw the purse in the shopping cart was when I moved to Florida . I was amazed that women would do that . I always have a small purse concealed Smith and Wesson across my body tucked in my undies while I shop . It must come from years of living in New Jersey .
There. I brought you up to New Jersey standards.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Here ya go. Problem solved. A little technology and appropriate training for the user and the population of purse snatchers dwindles before your eyes!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I haven't carried a purse in decades, just a wallet.

Years ago when I was in hard circumstances, I noticed how easy it would be to take cash from an open unattended purse in a shopping cart. I did not indulge. Several years ago I noticed an accidentally abandoned purse in a cart corral. I turned it in to the store folks. Would have been easy to take out the cash and leave everything else intact.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #32

I carry a shoulder bag which I can also reposition to go across my torso if I want greater mobility. I don't leave my purse in the grocery cart. Sometimes I change bags for dressier events and carry a small clutch with a handle...a wristlet I think they call it if I don't need to lug the usual accoutrements that require a larger bag. I have not ever been a victim of theft but it could happen to anyone at anytime.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The naive women described in earlier posts obviously have not been outside of the US. They would be parted from their handbags within 1 hour of leaving the airport, no, make it 1/2 hr after deboarding the plane.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The naive women described in earlier posts obviously have not been outside of the US. They would be parted from their handbags within 1 hour of leaving the airport, no, make it 1/2 hr after deboarding the plane.
Hmmm...well, when I fly out of the country (or go to Vegas), I just stuff everything in my bra. I don't do a lot of grocery shopping while traveling....
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #35

The mom of a friend was killed several years ago as she unloaded her grocery cart at the local supermarket. Two thieves drove slowly thru the parking lot, grabbing purses from older women either from the seat of the cart or off the lady's shoulder. My friend's mom had the strap of her bag wrapped around her wrist and was knocked to the ground and dragged some distance by the thief's car. She died of her injuries. From the store's video, the police did catch the thieves, who were charged with and convicted of 2nd degree murder. Sadly, her hubby started experiencing stomach pains after her funeral and was diagnosed with end stage stomach cancer..he died less than a month later. Family was devastated.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...well, when I fly out of the country (or go to Vegas), I just stuff everything in my bra. I don't do a lot of grocery shopping while traveling....
Like so? The Toolbox*Video

Coming back from Mexico one time the gal was in short shorts, not much top, and flipflops. Being a thoroughly dangerous looking sort she got special attention including a metal detection wand. After we got home she found the lighter she had stashed in her bra - she was smoking then. The TSA lads missed it. Good thing she didn't decide to light her sandals on fire while in the air!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
They told me my video would NOT be posted in the internet!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
My friend's mom had the strap of her bag wrapped around her wrist and was knocked to the ground and dragged some distance by the thief's car.
So sorry to hear of this.

Yes ladies...if they want it badly enough, they will get it any cost. Please don't have your purse 'tethered' to your body.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... In another thread, Nords could, or was suggested by others that he could, stuff 5 dryer balls in his shorts!

Should there be a contest here to see who can carry more?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

When shopping, I never, ever put my purse in the shopping cart. If it's a shoulder bag I wear it on my shoulder, or diagonally across my trunk. If it's a tote bag I have it under my arm with the handles over my shoulder. ON weekends when I am casually dressed I often use a fanny pack with the purse pack in front where I can keep an eye on it, and perhaps a sweatshirt over top.

I am not a trusting person. Or at least I am not naive.