Join Early Retirement Today

"Push Presents"
Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Push Presents"

Just when you thought consumerism couldn't get any worse, now the jewellry marketing types have come up with another play on the wedding ring: the 'push present', a 'reward' for women who procreate.

(1) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/fa...=1&oref=slogin

Quote:
“It’s more and more an expectation of moms these days that they deserve something for bearing the burden for nine months, getting sick, ruining their body,” said Linda Murray, executive editor of BabyCenter.com. “The guilt really gets piled on.”
(2) globeandmail.com: Push, push (and I'll buy you a pendant)

Quote:
After a 36-hour labour for her daughter, Jules, Michelle Halpern received a delicate white gold chain with pearl pendant and four diamonds. "I expected one, and if Adam hadn't got me one, I might have been upset," Ms. Halpern, 35, said. "A push present says, 'I appreciate what you've given me, that your body was used as a vessel for this child.' Let's just say that a dinner out would not suffice as a push present for most people."
This concept is nauseating on so many levels.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Should it be in the pre-nup? Carats of jewelry per # of offspring (pending DNA tests)?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #3

So, what does the mom get if she has a C-section?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is an old custom in other cultures where the husband gives a token of affection to his wife upon the birth of a child. Unfortunately some gals (precious metal excavators) have taken it to the extreme and have gone all materialistic with this tradition. The "goddesses" have turned it into a competition comparing who got what and are trying to our do each other. Jewelers, being the smart capitalist that they are, are of course encouraging the trend and have come up with all manor of expensive trinkets. Think about it, is a keep up with the Jones competition thing.

What about the men. The wife should give him a gift for doing a really spectacular job delivering the goods nine months previous. Think about it, she did not do it all by herself. I can think of some name some that gift but will not go there but I will share this poem.

"This is America the land of the push
Where a "bird" in the hand is worth two in the bush
But if in that bush a fair maiden should stand
then a a push in the bush is worth two in the hand.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
"This is America the land of the push
Where a "bird" in the hand is worth two in the bush
But if in that bush a fair maiden should stand
then a a push in the bush is worth two in the hand.
LOL! Great to have an artist in residence here. Thank you!

Ha
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
So, what does the mom get if she has a C-section?
An incision incentive?

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
What about the men.
"Push present" works for that, too. Except in the case of artificial insemination, in which case "pull present" would seem more fitting.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Gawd, I had no idea. The things they come up with to sell more junk!
But what I really thought was yucky were the aspirational names all the kids had!
Elisheva? Liam? McKenna? Dashiell? Puh-lease!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #9

I always thought that the kid was the present to both parents. (or kids if twins or other multiples)
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

"Hey honey, I was thinking maybe we could put $3000 or so into Jr's college fund when he's born. By the time he's 18, that amount will grow to pay for at least half his college expenses. It'll really be a head start on college savings".

"Yeah, but if we waste $3000 on some lofty goal that's 18 years out, how are you going to get me that diamond encrusted pendant you owe me for delivering this child?"

Not in my house!!!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have friends who just had a child a few months ago and it seems to be almost a "requirement" in some circles. Before the kid was born I overheard the husband being questioned about what he was going to get his wife as a "push present".

What about just the joy of having a child?
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
I always thought that the kid was the present to both parents. (or kids if twins or other multiples)
No, apparently the mother is merely the 'vessel' who presents the child to the father. It's like something out of the Dark Ages.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
What about just the joy of having a child?
I take it you are a man?

I don't know about "push presents", but I do know that having seen a few births I'd be inclined to give the mother most anythig she wanted. Birth looks (and sounds) like a pretty big deal to me!

Ha
Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I take it you are a man?

I don't know about "push presents", but I do know that having seen a few births I'd be inclined to give the mother most anythig she wanted. Birth looks (and sounds) like a pretty big deal to me!
With the greatest possible respect, I think perhaps you are missing about the point.

No one with any sense would suggest that bearing and delivering a child is a particularly easy process. But neither is raising a child.

Frankly, any one with an IQ above room temperature should understand that on a purely financial / material basis, having a child is invariably a dead loss. It is bizarre that these Yuppies apparently think otherwise.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Frankly, any one with an IQ above room temperature should understand that on a purely financial / material basis, having a child is invariably a dead loss. It is bizarre that these Yuppies apparently think otherwise.
Are they evaluating it on a financial/material basis?

Maybe those who decide in this way whether to have children are a little short on elan vital?

Ha
Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Maybe those who decide in this way whether to have children are a little short on elan vital?
Ha
True ,but always remember: "be nice to your kids......some day they will decide where you are going to live"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #17

My husband bought me a small little garnet ring when our daughter was born almost 21 years ago. Wow, for once we were ahead of the crowd!

PS: and I did appreciate the the thought.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #18

after the pain of push i would think the only present a woman would want is a pair of scissors for your vasectomy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #19

Wouldn't that be cutting off the ___________ that ___________ you?

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

i tremendously hate the commercialization of things like this.

of course it makes total sense from a business/marketing perspective but i'm actually less inclined to do something like this for my wife when we start a family in the next year or so b/c it will not seem special at all. a classy gesture turned sour.

i'd much rather go way out of my way in some other fashion to make sure knows how much she's loved and appreciated.
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote