Join Early Retirement Today

Putting a pet down
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Putting a pet down

I had to put my mini schnauzer down yesterday. It was a decision that I had struggled with for a very long time.

Tootie was 16 yrs, 2 months, and 19 days old when I looked in her aging eyes and knew it was time. She had been having problems with pancreatitus for several years and refused to eat much of the special diet the vet put her on. Several days ago she quit eating any thing but her snacks. She was having trouble with her hind legs and difficulting getting up. Her hearing and her sight were almost gone. I guess you get the picture, but it was so hard to make the decision to take her in.

I got Tootie when she was seven weeks old and just a ball of fluff and energy.

I didn't think the years would go by so quickly and she would be gone. I am the one hurting now and she is thankfully at peace.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Cruisin. It's horrible to lose a beloved pet and all the memories associated with them.

Maybe a year or so ago, there was a rash of pet deaths among members on the board (including my Sophie the Doberman). You might take some comfort in digging those up and seeing how many of us have muddled through that tough task.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Cruisn, I'm truly sorry for your loss. My best buddy, Puzzley, (see my avatar) died three years ago in March. I still miss him today. One of the cruelest parts of life is that our animal companions do not share our longevity, and they are lost to us far too soon.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You’re right, Tootie is suffering no more discomfort thanks to your difficult decision. It‘s too bad that you / we need to feel so sad when this time comes. I have experienced the sadness of the loss of furry friends. Eventually you will feel better. You have my sincere condolences.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies. I know I will get thru this, but it is very painful. I have put away everything that reminds me of her except a couple of pictures. I have had dogs all my life but never one so special. She was sometimes called "Move Tootie" because she was always under my feet and always wanting to be with me. I feel that I have lost my shadow.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #6

cruisinthru.....I am so sorry.....I still miss Micro and Romeo and it is never easy.....I found comfort in knowing that I gave them a phenomenal life with lots of love, treats, naps, cuddles, and toys.....they made me a better version of me. (((((big hugs))))
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

cruisinthru,

Many of us have been through this with a beloved pet. It part of the package of loving them and having them love us. Still hurts so bad when you have to do it, but so worth it to have had all those years together.

Mine was a cat named Stripes (1987-2003).
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Crusinthru, I'm so sorry for your loss...and it is a big loss, I know. Twelve years ago, we had to put 2 dogs down within 30 days - 10 yo sheppard (cancer) and 13 yo shih tsu (deaf, blind, authritic)...'bout killed us. We have always had dogs, but this double loss hit so hard that we waited 6 years before we got another one. That's him in my avatar...shih tsu, again. Sheppards have always stolen my heart and every time we meet one, I dote on him and my heart fills with sweet memories of my Brandy-girl. I hope your grief will step aside for the sweet memories soon.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My family is going through some tough times with our 15 year old cat right now, and I dread any decision that might have to be made soon. This thread really hit home
podey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm very sorry for your loss Cruisinthru. It's allways hard to lose your pets. They are such a big part of our lives.

I still miss the dogs that I've had in the past. One of mine is getting old and rather frail. So, I'll have to face this one of these days.

I know you are going through a difficult period of grief now. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
They go too soon.

Afterwards I find I even miss the things that annoyed me.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #12

cruisintrru: Sorry to hear but the friend has peace and you have life long memories. Our last little guy came to us in Alaska, was a wonderful friend all of his life and after 16 years he just passed in the night. He never had a sick day but he was to the point that he had to be carried up and down stairs, having trouble seeing. I was intending to put him down on a Monday but he passed the Sunday night before; he just did not wake up. I still can think about him and it brings tears. They are such loyal and loving friends for us.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cruisinthru: Tootie was one lucky dog to have shared her life with you. I know all too well how much it hurts to lose a beloved animal companion.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry. I know it hurts. I had to have one of my cats put down two years ago. He was diagnosed with cancer four months before he died. The small cancer was on his face and every time I looked at him, my heart would break.

It will get better with time. I promise.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Cruisinthru,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our pooch Katie among the rash of others here that Rich mentioned, and my wife and I still talk about her nearly every day. We know how you feel. Remember the good times and know that you gave her a great home--and that the pain will ease with time.

Mankind has done tremendous things to improve the quality of life and joy we have in our all-too-limited time on this earth. Domesticating the wild dog was surely among the most important steps in this regard.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #16

I am so sorry for your loss.

We had to put our beloved Timber to sleep one year ago on Feb. 17th. I am dreading Sunday, knowing that he's been gone for one year. It has gotten slightly easier as the months have gone by (I can now actually tell people the story of how he died without starting to cry); but privately, I still shed a few tears for my furry child who I miss so much.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your loss Cruisinthru. It is so hard to lose a pet.

Our cat died last year at the age of 18. The night before she died you could see in her eyes that she knew it was the end. She kept hidding her head under my arm, something she had never done before, ever. The next morning we found her "asleep". She looked so peaceful. Man I hope that's how I'll die! Today she remains with us through memories and pictures (and, as strange as it might sound, through her "ghostly" presence! I know it sounds farfetched but it scared the heck out of me last week!).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #18

I'm sorry for your loss Cruisinthru, losing a pet is very difficult. In the past year we lost our lab that we cherished dearly. Recently our best friends lost their golden that was our labs best friend. During our vacation my stepdad lost his 14 yr old companion. We all agree that what they gave us in love and affection over shadows the grief we feel now.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #19

After 4 years, I still choke up and have to stop talking about my 17-1/2 year old kitty dying. I feel like a fool, but I cannot help it.
You have to remember the wonderful times you had and think how lucky we are to have had that kind of relationship with our animal. We really were lucky, don't you think? My son and I got so much out of having him as a member of the family that he was so worth every minute we spent with him. We were lucky to have known him...as you were with your animal. Remember the good times now...and treasure them.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for your loss. I got my golden retriever 7 years ago and she already has a white face. Shes a lot of fun but the white face is a reminder that she is aging just like me. I dread the day when I am faced with her leaving me. But they are worth the pain.

If you decide on having another pup one day, consider a rescue dog. Lot's of good dogs need a home.