Putting lockbox on rental house that's being worked on

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a rental property, some distance away, which we're fixing up for sale. It needs complete painting and flooring replacement, among other things. I'm starting to line up estimates, and will meet all prospective contractors at the property. Oh...and I'm returning to work 3 days a week as a consultant, starting next week. The consulting gig will only last a few months, but overlaps with the townhouse work, and I will be driving our one and only car.

Once we have contracted out the work, the real estate agent suggested putting a combo-type lockbox on the door so contractors can let themselves in and out without our having to be there.

This makes us nervous, because there have been break-ins in this development. Not that there's anything to steal, but we're also afraid of liability issues. Still, it certainly would be nice not to have Mr. A. drive me to work, then to the townhouse to let contractors in, etc.

Thoughts?

Amethyst

We have a rental property, some distance away, which we're fixing up for sale. It needs complete painting and flooring replacement, among other things. I'm starting to line up estimates, and will meet all prospective contractors at the property. Oh...and I'm returning to work 3 days a week as a consultant, starting next week. The consulting gig will only last a few months, but overlaps with the townhouse work, and I will be driving our one and only car.

Once we have contracted out the work, the real estate agent suggested putting a combo-type lockbox on the door so contractors can let themselves in and out without our having to be there.

This makes us nervous, because there have been break-ins in this development. Not that there's anything to steal, but we're also afraid of liability issues. Still, it certainly would be nice not to have Mr. A. drive me to work, then to the townhouse to let contractors in, etc.

Thoughts?

Amethyst
I have used a lock box on our cabin in a similar fashion, but limited to only one at a time since the house is furnished. I have changed the codes in between contractors. It is a 6 hour drive one way from our house, but our neighbors keep an eye on it, which I have been sure to let the contractors know. "Please email or call me when you expect to be on the job so I can call John next door and let him know not to worry."

Digital photos have been a god send when it comes to verifying work done, allowing us to issue prompt payment.

I actually put the lock box in with spare keys after I locked myself out the first night after closing. Fortunately, the window AC was still in so I was able to break in, as I stood on my deck in my t-shirt with snow coming down around me. Have also eliminated that window unit weakness.

Good luck with your sale. You will need a lock box on it then anyway.

IP

Thoughts?

Amethyst

Lots of builders do this, esp. for insurance work on commercial buildings, etc. You can change the code frequently if you want, esp. when some one has completed their work and has been paid off.

The real-estate people have been using them for years.

Real break and enter guys don't fool with locks anyway, they break a window or kick the door in.

If you are in Houston, do not trust remodeling contractors. If you are in a big city, I would recommend the same.

You have to watch contractors with at least 4 eyes and then some. Once they are gone and the work they did has problems, good luck getting them into small claims court.

We use lockboxes on our apartments for the cleaners between tenants and for contractors. Also have one at the winter house should we forget a key...

Hi,

IMHO I think you have 3 issues:

Lock boxes
I have used lockboxes multiple times with contractors - can change combo between sets of contractors. All houses for sale, I have been involved with, use lock boxes. You can put on rear door or water meter or :confused: so not visible.

Security
The only place I had damage was because it was unoccupied - broken door - no lockbox.
Perhaps light on timer, might help? Ask neighbor to park car in driveway? or someone else probably has better ideas

Contractor supervision
Nothing substitutes for daily checking :-( But at least weekly and before payment or too much to be undone:confused:

Good luck!

Have the real estate agent do it. Or have the contractor pick up the key from the real estate agent. Give the people next door your cell and tell them what you are doing so they can watch the place.

I use lock boxes all he time on my rentals. Each property has one permanently mounted, and I put a key in it when I need to.

There is always some risk, but I have never had trouble.

What about those systems I see advertised on TV - the ones where you lock/unlock the front door with an app on your phone (or computer?)?

I have no personal experience, but it might be worth looking into. Tell the contractor - "call me when you get there, I'll open the door". And you can check that it is locked when they leave.

-ERD50

I used one for contractors and real estate agents (I listed it myself for a flat fee, but my listing had the buyer's agent getting 2.0%). It worked well. I had my sister go by there and change the combo after each agent or contractor.

Even though I told the agent they must call me and arrange an appointment to see the house every time, one agent was furious when she didn't schedule an appointment, tried to get in, but couldn't due to the combo change! This was the same agent that said I "couldn't" do what I did (putting 2.0% instead of 3% for her commission). Even though I hated it, that agent was the one that ended up with the commission.

Ah, but I digress. The problem with the lockbox that I bought (just a Home Depot one) was that anyone that had the combo could theoretically change the combo, and lock "your people" out of the house and turn your lockbox into a brick. Hehe: "bricking your lockbox".

Back
Top Bottom