Join Early Retirement Today

Puzzle
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Puzzle

An interesting puzzle from Yahoo:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/math-mean...104416451.html

kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Link does not work for me

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #3

curious..........works for me w/ Chrome on Mac.

how about this: GPGT can you solve this Pri 1 bonus question - www.hardwarezone.com.sg
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't waste too much time on this. A little more research into this at This math question meant for 7-year-olds has everyone stumped says

Quote:
Singapore's Ministry of Education (MOE) later told Mashable that there were in fact no examinations for Primary 1 students.

And the original quiz this was taken from, has a 20 in the lower left corner rather than a 2, and the instructions with it make it very clear that a 2 there makes the puzzle unsolvable.

So there's a false claim that this was on a test for 7 year olds in Singapore, which makes you think there must be a solution that you just don't see. But there's an error, so you'll never solve it even if you do guess the instructions.

More bogus than interesting, IMO.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Don't waste too much time on this. A little more research into this at This math question meant for 7-year-olds has everyone stumped says

And the original quiz this was taken from, has a 20 in the lower left corner rather than a 2, and the instructions with it make it very clear that a 2 there makes the puzzle unsolvable.

So there's a false claim that this was on a test for 7 year olds in Singapore, which makes you think there must be a solution that you just don't see. But there's an error, so you'll never solve it even if you do guess the instructions.

More bogus than interesting, IMO.
RB.......thanks for doing all that research. Even more weird stuff......I looked
at the puzzle from the original Yahoo link and I wrote down 20 in the left hand corner so I swear I saw it but now if I go back to both the links I provided I see a 2 like you said. Anyway, if you want to play with it, put 20 there.

You don't suppose these things can mutate after you've linked them?
I don't understand how I could have written 20 if I hadn't seen it. But I
agree having a 2 there makes it impossible given the rules.

edit to add: now I understand what happened.......I did the puzzle from the bottom of the Yahoo link, not
the one at the top which is missing the instructions as well has having the error in the bottom left quadrant.
Didn't realize they were different. .
Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not an error based on one of the links, the answer is 2, 2, 1, 1 - looking at pattern, not anything to do with math
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

On of my favorite puzzles:
I have 10 Trees and I want to plant them in 5 rows of 4 each, how do I plant them?
(Hint: There is a real answer but you can't think totally linear)
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

Answer to the tree puzzle below

SPOILER

Draw a five-pointed star. Plant the trees at the points and at each intersection of the lines.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
It's not an error based on one of the links, the answer is 2, 2, 1, 1 - looking at pattern, not anything to do with math
Is this answer to w/ 2 in lower left quadrant? If so, do you understand answer?