Join Early Retirement Today

PX Privileges ???
Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PX Privileges ???

Do any vets on the board take advantage of PX privileges that were opened up a year or two ago ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Do any vets on the board take advantage of PX privileges that were opened up a year or two ago ?
Until very recently, we didn't shop at any of the BX/PX locations since the savings weren't really there. Now that we have moved out west where sales tax is approaching 9%, we have been there a couple of times. I was really surprised at how much better the selection of stuff is and the savings can be significant with smart comparison shopping. I will also noticed that the commissary is much nicer than the last one I visited about 6 years ago.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #3

For those unfamiliar with it, honorably discharged veterans can now shop at the military exchanges online (not in person on military bases).

Here's a brief explanation:
https://www.veteranaid.org/blog/new-...ase-exchanges/
Old 01-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
There are two different aspects to shopping at the PX/Exchange on a military base.

The PX sells the "department store" type of stuff. By law, it must at least break even and be self-sufficient. In my experience (37 years of combined active duty and retired use) the prices are usually a bit cheaper at the PX than out in town, but not always. You need to shop around. When shopping on base you do not pay sales tax, so this is a savings. The profits contribute funding to base recreation services, so this may be worth considering as well.

The commissary is the base grocery store. By law, the commissary is subsidized by the military budget, and commissary prices are often a lot cheaper than in the local grocery stores. My wife and I do a price comparison between the commissary and the local grocery stores every year or two, and the commissary is always cheaper on most items. Sometimes a lot cheaper. The percentage of savings can vary widely from product to product.

We currently live about 45 minutes from the nearest base and usually drive to the base about once every 4 - 6 weeks to stock up. We usually spend between $250 and $350 at the commissary when we make the trip. We estimate we save between $100 and $150 compared to the local grocery stores. The savings will vary depending on what you buy. For us, it is substantial and worth the occasional trip.

If you are eligible, I'd recommend comparing prices for a basket of goods that you usually use and see for yourself whether the PX/commissary are worth it for you.

Hint: If you need something that is sold by both the commissary and the PX, it will be cheaper at the commissary due to the subsidies.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
For those unfamiliar with it, honorably discharged veterans can now shop at the military exchanges online (not in person on military bases).

Here's a brief explanation:

https://www.veteranaid.org/blog/new-...ase-exchanges/

I had no idea. Thanks for the head’s up!
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #6

I live near Davis-Monthan AFB and use their facilities often: the gym, the gas station, the commissary and the post office. I've found that for meats, the commissary cannot be beaten locally on price - on vegetables and fruits, Sprouts is the best for fruits and vegetables with Costco second (if you can eat it before it goes bad). For canned goods, it's a toss up between commissary and Costco. For dairy, Fry's is the cheapest around here. I do a lot of my own cooking and don't use much pre-prepared items, so don't know much about price comparisons for those items.

The BX is overpriced in general and you can find the same items cheaper online or on sale.