PX Privileges ???

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do any vets on the board take advantage of PX privileges that were opened up a year or two ago ?

Do any vets on the board take advantage of PX privileges that were opened up a year or two ago ?

Until very recently, we didn't shop at any of the BX/PX locations since the savings weren't really there. Now that we have moved out west where sales tax is approaching 9%, we have been there a couple of times. I was really surprised at how much better the selection of stuff is and the savings can be significant with smart comparison shopping. I will also noticed that the commissary is much nicer than the last one I visited about 6 years ago.

There are two different aspects to shopping at the PX/Exchange on a military base.

The PX sells the "department store" type of stuff. By law, it must at least break even and be self-sufficient. In my experience (37 years of combined active duty and retired use) the prices are usually a bit cheaper at the PX than out in town, but not always. You need to shop around. When shopping on base you do not pay sales tax, so this is a savings. The profits contribute funding to base recreation services, so this may be worth considering as well.

The commissary is the base grocery store. By law, the commissary is subsidized by the military budget, and commissary prices are often a lot cheaper than in the local grocery stores. My wife and I do a price comparison between the commissary and the local grocery stores every year or two, and the commissary is always cheaper on most items. Sometimes a lot cheaper. The percentage of savings can vary widely from product to product.

We currently live about 45 minutes from the nearest base and usually drive to the base about once every 4 - 6 weeks to stock up. We usually spend between $250 and $350 at the commissary when we make the trip. We estimate we save between $100 and $150 compared to the local grocery stores. The savings will vary depending on what you buy. For us, it is substantial and worth the occasional trip.

If you are eligible, I'd recommend comparing prices for a basket of goods that you usually use and see for yourself whether the PX/commissary are worth it for you.

Hint: If you need something that is sold by both the commissary and the PX, it will be cheaper at the commissary due to the subsidies.

I live near Davis-Monthan AFB and use their facilities often: the gym, the gas station, the commissary and the post office. I've found that for meats, the commissary cannot be beaten locally on price - on vegetables and fruits, Sprouts is the best for fruits and vegetables with Costco second (if you can eat it before it goes bad). For canned goods, it's a toss up between commissary and Costco. For dairy, Fry's is the cheapest around here. I do a lot of my own cooking and don't use much pre-prepared items, so don't know much about price comparisons for those items.

The BX is overpriced in general and you can find the same items cheaper online or on sale.

Back
Top Bottom