Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few months ago a quad flew over us at the beach. It then went out a long, long ways over the water and hovered over a boat...maybe 1/2 a mile. Then it flew back and slowly flew back into an open window of one of the condos where someone was apparently controlling it. It was just soooo cool.

My guess is that this was one of the more expensive ones, having that kind of range.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #22

Ok boyzz! Just ordered a Syma X5C.

Will advise in a bit. Need to do some YouTubing now and perhaps Google up some finer points while waiting.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My quad is waiting in the air :-) in loiter mode.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Found hovering over my backyard
It was about 10 feet off the end of my main antenna. It dropped into the next yard over when I keyed the transmitter. Obviously not Part 15 compliant...
A quad with enough payload could make a nifty 2M repeater. GPS program it to fly to where you want to transmit from, then talk to it with your HT and have it broadcast out. Wouldn't last for long with current battery tech, but you could make contacts 50 or 60 miles away with a HT even if you are hiking in a valley in a remote area.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haven't flown mine much lately. Spring here on the southern Plains is a bit windy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
Administrator

This really looks so cool! Also that footage was amazing, Fermion. I had no idea that these had become so affordable and with such crystal clear video.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
A quad with enough payload could make a nifty 2M repeater. GPS program it to fly to where you want to transmit from, then talk to it with your HT and have it broadcast out. Wouldn't last for long with current battery tech, but you could make contacts 50 or 60 miles away with a HT even if you are hiking in a valley in a remote area.
Some local folks have been playing with a quad as a pop-up repeater on the 70 cm band. Another fun use is stringing up a temporary antenna, using the quad to place a light fishing line over a tree. It's more precise than a slingshot, and can get to higher locations easily.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

As another ham, these are the best uses for one I've ever heard of.

I sometimes go camping in extremely remote areas, so as an emergency way of getting a signal out to someone who might hear it, this would be awesome.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #30

Brought mine to az for the winter. Had some fun out in the desert. Doesn't work too well (at least with my piloting abilities) in the mountains or forests. Got home to Illinois and flew it around a couple of days ago. Now waiting for the winds to die down.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #31

I now have about thirty min. Flying time on the new cheerson x10. The more I fly it the more I like it. Buying decision on Amazon, buy Prime have it in two days, buy China, have in 30-45 days, but it could be five bucks cheaper.

Flying. Once I got use to it, it is a good trainer. It is faster than the Syma. The controller is very small also and thus small corrections are hard to make smoothly. Buy prop guards! Props are paper thin and don't stand up well to walls!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I now have about thirty min. Flying time on the new cheerson x10. The more I fly it the more I like it. Buying decision on Amazon, buy Prime have it in two days, buy China, have in 30-45 days, but it could be five bucks cheaper.

Flying. Once I got use to it, it is a good trainer. It is faster than the Syma. The controller is very small also and thus small corrections are hard to make smoothly. Buy prop guards! Props are paper thin and don't stand up well to walls!
Yes, I have three of the CX-10s - one ordered through amazon (I think I still had a Prime trial then), and after I liked it, I ordered 2 more direct from China (~ 3-4 weeks, but cheaper).

I have no skills for this kind of thing, but at some point I noticed I just developed far better control than at first. It just came with practice. The first thing I noticed is that I had to be able to control the height with the throttle w/o thinking about it. That has to be like walking while chewing gum. Once I could just control the height by reflex, I was free to focus on turning and location.

Definitely buy a bunch of spare props! Oh, and extensions on the controller joysticks help. Some people use plastic thumbtacks, or the straight plastic plaster-board screw anchors - I used some 1/8" X 1/4" ID/OD clear plastic vinyl tubing I had (from the hardware store - the stuff they use for aquariums and things). The longer, soft joysticks are more comfortable, IMO.

I've taken apart one of the CX-10s and done some mods, just for kicks. Maybe later today I'll finish my latest mod - I bought larger propellers and will mount the motors a bit farther out to accommodate them. Fun. I think these props will fly better, and look to be much more durable. From Tmart:

UDI U839 RC Quadcopter Spare Part U839-03 Propeller Blade Set Black & Orange -- 14007044

I'll also add that these little quads offer a LOT of stuff for the money. It's incredible - a controller/transmitter, the RF link system, four motors, speed controllers, logic and all these sensors, a rechargeable lithium battery and charger - all for less than $20 shipped! So don;t be surprised if the quality control is not at a high level. Maybe I've been lucky, but all three of mine seem fine. If you order just one, and it doesn't work well, you might have just got a dud.

-ERD50
Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #33

Found the first CX10! Looked like it had been stepped on. Replaced the blades and charged it. Good news, everything works. Bad news it is still impossible to control! Nothing like the second one.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Or you could just use NVIS propagation on the lower HF bands so you wouldn't need a repeater
Old 04-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Old 04-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #36

Whoa! I have that same quadcopter and I don't think that mine can lift a dog. I'll give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Or you could just use NVIS propagation on the lower HF bands so you wouldn't need a repeater
Link to a 60m handheld please.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Whoa! I have that same quadcopter and I don't think that mine can lift a dog. I'll give it a try.
I'd bet my next pension check that there's some Photoshoping going on in that image.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd bet my next pension check that there's some Photoshoping going on in that image.
Yep, that's a pretty skinny pug. Must be the same software they use on magazine ad models.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #40

After reading this thread I ordered and just received my Syma x5c two days ago. Maybe it's me being an "old dog learning new tricks" but it took me a while to get the hang of flying it.

All of a sudden however, like magic, it suddenly 'came to me' and I was hovering, flying against the wind and doing pretty well! It was interesting on how all of a sudden I figured it out just as I was about to quit in frustration!

Video next!

BTW: DW just doesn't get this at all but it humoring me.