Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
Yay, drone flight school - hmm, it could be my part time job or business when I retire :-)
I gave it a thought for a few seconds (I have a pilot's license and lots of R/C aircraft time) but then decided I'm done working with idiots. And there will always be idiots....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was at Delfest this past weekend, and there were a number of drones flying over the crowds watching the shows. One of my buddies commented that it would be cool to see the video from those when they get put on the website. I wondered whether they would result in any arrests due to illegal activity in the crowd.

There were also a number of gliders (real ones, not hang gliders) circling overhead during the day. I'd like to try that someday.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was at Delfest this past weekend, and there were a number of drones flying over the crowds watching the shows. One of my buddies commented that it would be cool to see the video from those when they get put on the website. I wondered whether they would result in any arrests due to illegal activity in the crowd.

There were also a number of gliders (real ones, not hang gliders) circling overhead during the day. I'd like to try that someday.
You can do fixed-wing glider (soaring) "lessons" a lot of places. No ground-school, just get in, get towed-up and you get to fly around in the front seat (instructor in back of you). It's fun, you should research it. The first time I went up, my instructor caught some great thermals and since we had a lot of altitude and had to get back, he treated me to a couple of loops!

To get back on QC fun...if you haven't put your name and number on/in your QC, just do it!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
UPDATE! We had a really windy night last night and I went back to the scene of the crime this morning hoping it might have shaken loose from it's 50 foot perch.

There was my copter sitting about 5 feet off the ground in a bush!

So....back to the skies!!!
Everyone has a lost QC story...mine is also with a Syma. The X5C in dead calm, I figured I'd go up high and get an above the treetops shot. Bad idea. It was directly overhead and it started blinking (indicating lost signal), and it started taking off toward the tree line. I held the remote away and up and it re-acquired for just a second or two...long enough for me to figure out it's orientation and start flying it back above me. But it started blinking again and it went down in the woods between my neighborhood and the next one.

When I tried to go to where I thought it landed, there were dogs. Many of them. They had different ideas about my arrival in their back-yard. I went street-side and looked around to no avail, so I left the remote control and the instruction book on the porch of a house I knew had a Jr high kid "I lost this around here somewhere. If you find it, it's yours." I neglected to bring the battery charging cable, so I also left my number so I could drop that off if the copter was found. I got a call, he found it! But couldn't convince the kid to accept the copter! I did talk him into accepting the reward of $20 though.

Now, with my name and number on the copter, it's "Back to the skies" (but not so high since the range on these things is pretty poor).
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #85

Quote:

You can always try paramotoring with DH next month, he's doing it in Warrenton, VA. I don't think it kills you right away.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I don't think it kills you right away.
But he's going to test it out to be sure.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #87

Well, to be fair, sengsational has done it and lived, so there's that...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You can do fixed-wing glider (soaring) "lessons" a lot of places. No ground-school, just get in, get towed-up and you get to fly around in the front seat (instructor in back of you). It's fun, you should research it.
I was offered a chance to do some gliding while taking a work sponsored class. The gliding was amazing, seriously enjoyable, the first time I did something that I felt could become a hobby.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #89

Am happy that your drone wasn't damaged

Plane Comes Within 200 Feet Of Drone Near LaGuardia Airport « CBS New York
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

OK OK. You guys sound like you're having too much fun with these things so I had to order an X11. Should be here Monday.
Now if I can just keep it out of the pond....
Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Now, with my name and number on the copter, it's "Back to the skies" (but not so high since the range on these things is pretty poor).
Yeah, I had written my phone number on it with Magic Marker. In my case, it just fell into the woods and I found it myself. I certainly would've given someone $20 for calling me!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #92

Quote:
As sengsational says it is fun and not at all dangerous. I've done that too. It just wasn't as much fun to me as powered flying is. Bear in mind the instructor wants to see tomorrow's sunrise just as much as you do.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to get an opportunity to not get a Syma x5c 1 stuck in a tree. I ordered one on Amazon over 45 days ago and still have not received it. I should have known better. Has anyone else had issues buying anything from Amazingbuy thru Amazon? Seems it was actually shipped thru Dongguan Tianna Sportsbag Factory. A bait and switch perhaps? I have made an inquiry as per Amazon instructions. If I do not get satisfaction in three days, I am to file an A to Z guarantee claim.
That being said, where have you Syma owners bought from? Syma direct? Amazon? Hobby shops? After reading reviews and watching YouTube videos, I'd really like to start off with the x5c-1, but I don't see the latest generation (1) on the Syma website. Sorry so long winded. Thanks...
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #94

Got mine from Amazon. Five day delivery.
Have to pay attention to the supplier's delivery dates...decided on a US supplier and paid about $5 more vs waiting for a China delivery.

No bait and switch...just different suppliers offering the same product.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm on my 3rd M68 Holy Stone. The first one I crashed hard into the fireplace, the second one took off, headed north and kept going . The third has allowed me to really hone my skills. I have captured some very good videos of my neighborhood and the lake just over the ridge. I was counting my batteries tonight and could not for the life of me understand why I only had 5 (they come two per drone) then it dawned on me the sixth was in the escapee
Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #96

BTW, GoPro recently confirmed that they are working on a drone but it won't be out until next year. No pricing info yet.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
I'd like to get an opportunity to not get a Syma x5c 1 stuck in a tree. I ordered one on Amazon over 45 days ago and still have not received it. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Got mine from Amazon. Five day delivery.
Have to pay attention to the supplier's delivery dates...decided on a US supplier and paid about $5 more vs waiting for a China delivery.

No bait and switch...just different suppliers offering the same product.

GOOD LUCK!
Exactly. The ones direct from China will take a month or two. So far, my orders (ebay, amazon, tmart, banggood, etc) have all been within their delivery promise, (one might have been a few days late, but there were weather delays also), some much sooner. I order for China if the price is right and I'm in no rush.

But if you want it in days, you need to check the sources and promises.

-ERD50
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #98

Hmm, I just searched for soaring glider rides in the area.

They want $399 for a 1-hour ride. Cheapest is $199 for 25 minutes, though that's only over Hollister valley while the $399 ride goes over Monterey Bay.

Hot air ballon ride is about $219 over Napa Valley.

Too bad no options to fly over San Francisco.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

My X11 came from Jogoto Group through Amazon. Ordered it and it came in the next day. Starting to figure it out. Bought a 5 pack of 380mA batteries so now I can spend a bit more time learning to fly it.
Hopefully it'll help me to get a bit more dexterity back in my fingers. Oh the pleasures of getting older.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #100

You can modify the transmitter in the X5C to add in a correct length of antenna and double or triple the range.