Quadcopter fun

syma x5c and x11c come with cameras. There is a video of a guy that took a key-chain camera and using rubber bands from asparagus monunted it to a x5c. Advantage, it uses it's own battery giving longer flight time. I don't think any of the cheap, under $100 are big enough to carry a very big camera. Maybe something like Polaroid's new cube.

:facepalm: just NOW I learn about "headless" quads!

coulda-shoulda

Here is the first video that actually is good enough (but not great) for viewing. Spent the first four days climbing trees and onto roofs, but finally got some control.

Not bad for a $50 toy. It was my first flight (more or less) over water.

If I lost control, I'd have lost the copter!

Here: https://youtu.be/ChMNwfoPwzo

A rank amateur compared to some of you guys, but ... good for me.

Last edited:
Here is the first video that actually is good enough (but not great) for viewing. Spent the first four days climbing trees and onto roofs, but finally got some control.

Very cool, thanks for posting!

FYI - you might want to make sure that music is an open source, creative commons or something (I think you need to list credits), or your own creation, or youtube might take down your video for copyright infringement. Forum member imolderanyu (sp?) had this happen to one of his videos with background music.

-ERD50

Very cool, thanks for posting!

FYI - you might want to make sure that music is an open source, creative commons or something (I think you need to list credits), or your own creation, or youtube might take down your video for copyright infringement. Forum member imolderanyu (sp?) had this happen to one of his videos with background music.

-ERD50

I got the music from YouTube. When you publish the video there's a list of available songs that you can choose from as part of the editing process. The implication is that they approve of use.

I got the music from YouTube. When you publish the video there's a list of available songs that you can choose from as part of the editing process. The implication is that they approve of use.

Ahhh! I did not know that.

Seems odd they don't automatically throw a credit in the 'about' just to make that clear. And I was thinking that most of the open licenses still required a credit?

Back to coptors!

-ERD50

It's been too windy and rainy here on the southern Plains for much quadcoptering.

Luckily, I have video and music software, so I can edit out the crashes, and edit in some background music. Pretty easy to create a droning track, no pun intended, using virtual synths and strings, and no copyright worries.

Well, today I lost my Syma copter! :(

I was having a lot of fun in a pretty wide open area and all of a sudden the controller seemed to stop working.

Usually when I see I'm getting into trouble (near trees) I'll just cut the power and let it drop near to the ground. This time, I cut the throttle and nothing happened...it just kept running out toward the trees and is now sitting 50 feet above ground in a nice maple tree. Of late, it did seem to not respond as well as when new.

I do have my phone number on it, so....hoping a wind will knock it down at some point.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the JJRC 12C; Amazon for about $50 but this one is headless and has auto return which reviews say doesn't work, but I'll be happy with headless.

Anyone familiar with the JJRC 12C?

DW was less than sympathetic.

Well, today I lost my Syma copter! :( ...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't hesitate to seek help if you need it, during these troubling times - there is no shame in it.

Hah, it's one of the reasons I've stuck to my little $17 CX-10s. One of them also started acting kinda funny, but if I lose it I lose it. I already got my $17 of fun out of it. No camera of course, but it's fun. Even $50 isn't a bad loss for a hobby, lots of people spend that for something that lasts less time than your coptor.

I started modding one, building a new frame for it and using some bigger props. Haven't finished it yet, but if that fails, I'll probably buy a couple more, just to have spares. Just too much fun for such little $$.

-ERD50

Hah, it's one of the reasons I've stuck to my little $17 CX-10s. One of them also started acting kinda funny, but if I lose it I lose it. I already got my $17 of fun out of it. No camera of course, but it's fun. Even $50 isn't a bad loss for a hobby, lots of people spend that for something that lasts less time than your coptor.

-ERD50

Thanks. That's how I look at it. For $50 it's given me $1500 worth of fun. And for $50 if it's gone, its' gone!

If I had lost one of those $1,000 jobbies, I'd be on my fourth martini by now!

Clearly, you have never experienced seeing your twin-engine R/C model airplane with retractable landing gear that you spent eight months building lose control and head straight in. I didn't even bother to collect the on-board electronics because after an impact like that they'd be unsafe to use again. Sending them to the factory for inspection was almost as much as new gear so I bought new gear.

Oh, and I had ~$500 in it that was not recoverable. All that was, was the engines and tires.

But I've witnessed much worse. Helicopter pilots have been known to cry.

Here's my latest QC. Bottle cap is for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_20150514_185152.jpg
    IMG_20150514_185152.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 22
I just put down cash for a 2016 delivery of one of these...a waterproof quad copter that flies itself and takes movies and pictures of whoever holds the homing beacon.

https://www.lily.camera/

are there any decent ones out there for $200 or so?

w/ camera?

I see you have that "jello" problem too. I have a Parrot AR 2.0 and a Mobius camera that I can wire underneath it (even though it has a 720p on board) but I get that jello from the image stabilization in the camera. I am pretty sure that the only option is an active 3 axis gimbal mount, but haven't really looked into them seriously yet.

They are loads of fun though, we live in a pretty, wooded area and I love to get it way above tree line and get panoramic shots.

are there any decent ones out there for $200 or so?

w/ camera?

Parrot has some nice new products in that price range with onboard HD cameras. And you can pick up used 1 and 2 generation old ones for cheap if you just want something to practice with...

I just put down cash for a 2016 delivery of one of these...a waterproof quad copter that flies itself and takes movies and pictures of whoever holds the homing beacon.

https://www.lily.camera/

Sweet. I can't believe DJI didn't do this. This is the next step I think. Still waiting to pull the trigger on a Phantom 3. All great fun!

I am building a hj450 quad with apm 2.6, still waiting for the motors and props to arrive.

Attachments

• 11224693_980761871948626_2024286208105679436_n.jpg
    11224693_980761871948626_2024286208105679436_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 12
yes, almost. After installing motors, balancing props and some tuning.

Back
Top Bottom