Join Early Retirement Today

Quantity pricing math - what am I missing?
Old 08-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Administrator

Quantity pricing math - what am I missing?

I was in Target and decided to get some silly string for my next visit with the grandkids. The price for one can is $1.99, and they have a 3 can pack for $6.50. Same can, same size, same brand, same product, same everything. Why on earth would someone by the 3-pack? Are people that math challenged?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silly String.jpg (142.9 KB, 74 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are people that math challenged?
Evidently, and sadly, yes. Or Target wouldn't take up shelf space on the 3-pack.

I showed the above post to DW, who just sighed and rolled her eyes.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. Yes they are.
I've noticed that the extra large bottles of laundry detergent cost more per oz. than smaller ones. 3 packs of Kleenex were more than 3 single packs, etc. etc
Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

The most annoying is cat food. But I think they do that deliberately. I don't think it's a math error. I think they realize that buying 24 cans of cat food in a box is worth significantly more than buying 24 cans of cat food individually.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I see this sort of pricing strategy frequently. I'm replacing the plumbing fixtures in the master bath and priced a Moen towel bar on Amazon yesterday. Price for one: $17.32 Price for a three pack: $76.41

The coffee we buy at Walmart is priced so that you pay more per ounce if you purchase the economy-sized package.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Administrator

There is always a price to be paid for being math challenged and/or inattentive. I have learned the hard way that the price tag immediately below the item on the shelf may not be the price for that item but for something a few feet in either direction. (a particular problem at Cabelas) The only way to be sure is to check the UPC numbers on the product with the one on the shelf.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
I was in Target and decided to get some silly string for my next visit with the grandkids. The price for one can is $1.99, and they have a 3 can pack for $6.50. Same can, same size, same brand, same product, same everything. Why on earth would someone by the 3-pack? Are people that math challenged?
yes! This is not unusual anymore. Same goes for thinking that the largest size of any particular item is always the best deal. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. I bet it is done on purpose
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Being math challenged is a horrible affliction. Please show some compassion. These same folks are compelled to buy lottery tickets, extended warranties and high priced mutual funds.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Being math challenged is a horrible affliction. Please show some compassion. These same folks are compelled to buy lottery tickets, extended warranties and high priced mutual funds.
You forgot to add variable annuities and certain life insurance products.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
gone traveling

It the lemming theory at work, everyone following everyone falling off the cliff
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Buying something from behind the pharmacy counter yesterday and couldn't read the label from that far so when the 30 or so year old pharm assistant (a fairly well trained job at this chain. Not a stupid person.) ask d do I want the 24 or 72 pills I asked what the unit price was. She didn't know. I said it's the number in the orange field of the price label. She said she never noticed that and was unsure what unit pricing was.
We all have our weak spots.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
I see this from time to time. I have to think and examine things just to make sure its the same size etc. Id like to think I usually make the right call and get the better deal. Im sure there were times when I got the 3 pack for $6.50 instead of the 3 for $5.97 thinking i scored a deal
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All of our grocery stores here have a "price per 100mg or per 100 ml" (about 3.5 ounces) for most products, so it's relatively simple to determine which size is the better price. But, even with that there are instances when the larger or economy size is more expensive.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The extra $0.50 is the price busy people pay when they know they need "a lot" of silly string and grab however many bulk packs they need for whatever silly string emergency they're running off to.

I've seen this pricing discrepancy often enough to know it's not entirely an accident. But sometimes it is. The store might be competing on price on a 1-count item but not on the bulk pack. I see that at the grocery store a lot where a dozen eggs might be $0.69 but the 18 count isn't reduced so it's still $1.79 (or the 30 count for $2.65). Or 8 oz cheese block for $1.49 while the 16 oz block of cheese is $3.99 not on sale.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Marketing genius! They probably sell twice as many total cans as people who would have only bought 1 now take 2 or 3 and claim "victory" over the pricing faux pas.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The store might be competing on price on a 1-count item but not on the bulk pack. I see that at the grocery store a lot where a dozen eggs might be $0.69 but the 18 count isn't reduced so it's still $1.79 (or the 30 count for $2.65). Or 8 oz cheese block for $1.49 while the 16 oz block of cheese is $3.99 not on sale.
This is definitely a factor. Some price comparisons are done automatically (promotions run elsewhere), and you have some companies doing regular comparisons on a 'standardized basket'.

So you price match the package size that goes in the standard basket during benchmark season, and viola ... you are one of the cheapest retailers around.

One thing I did notice though in stores here is that most of the time the retailer did some math for you: apart from the total price you also get a price per kilo/liter (in small print). Super convenient but frankly I don't get it why they do it.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The good news is your local Target prices are low, online it's $3.50 ea or a 3-pack is $7.50. The bad news is your local Target management must think their customers aren't very smart.

https://www.target.com/bp/Silly%20String

It's not often, but I've seen that occasionally as well. Always good to check unit pricing as everyone here knows.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #18

In Walmart the other day looking at cereal. Great Value Brand. The larger box was more expense per oz. than the smaller box. I had heard that this is true of other brands as well from time to time with cereals.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The most annoying is cat food. But I think they do that deliberately. I don't think it's a math error. I think they realize that buying 24 cans of cat food in a box is worth significantly more than buying 24 cans of cat food individually.
I am surprised that yours is more for the case.... at least here the price is the same... maybe a cent per can cheaper at times...

We just do not buy the case as our cats have decided they do not want to eat chicken of any kind ... chicken with liver, chicken with fish, chicken with gravy, ANYTHING with chicken!!! Well, the outside cat gets the benefit of their refusal and they do not get a second wet meal....

And it is not me who buys it... for some reason DW forgets about this when she buys....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
All of our grocery stores here have a "price per 100mg or per 100 ml" (about 3.5 ounces) for most products, so it's relatively simple to determine which size is the better price. But, even with that there are instances when the larger or economy size is more expensive.
Out store has that at times..... but some times it is 'each'.... now, with the string it is easy, but with different sized containers it is not...

BTW, I keep challenging my daughter when we are at stores to figure this out... and she IS challenged when it comes to this... and she is a straight A student .... I am very surprised how bad she is doing math in her head... and I am talking simple division and multiplication.... heck, sometimes just add and subtract.... I think the biggest problem is that she is being lazy.... if you want 3 you buy the 3 pack....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote