Join Early Retirement Today

Quantum
Old 07-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Quantum

Beginning my own dive into "quantum". Deep...

A late start, triggered by using quantum sleep sounds.

Are you interested or involved in any part of this coming revolution? Computers? Theory? Practical application?

So far... seems fascinating but worrisome...

Thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

A follow-up... just touching the surface..https://richtopia.com/emerging-techn...rvices-fintech

A tiny part of the subject:
Quote:
Financial data encoded with quantum cryptography is by far more secure than other kinds of digital security. The advent of the internet has made it possible for hackers to take control of remote devices and copy or edit confidential data. One cannot read data encoded in quantum states because they shapeshift by changing states and as such prevent eavesdropping, in addition to other techniques hackers may attempt.
This has to do with blockchain/type security. More:

Quote:
We are currently witnessing the dawn of Quantum Computing. This technology will affect the financial services industry in an unprecedented way. Combined with open source projects like blockchain, the finance industry is due to change more in the next 5 years then it has in the past 100. In this talk whurley will give a high-level overview of Quantum Computing, its impact on how we compute, and how it combined with key open source initiatives will change the financial services industry forever.
https://opensourcestrategyforum.org/...ices-industry/
Old 07-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's the delay with blockchain technology? It's been around for awhile. I think they use it on the dark web. I've read articles about it and how secure the process which is why it's hard to catch criminals on the dark web.

This article is from over a year ago:

https://codeburst.io/immunity-on-the...y-6693eb087bdd

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Blockchain may be the simplest part of Quantum theory... and FWIW, not only used for finance, but as an advanced process path for solving and shortcutting business needs. Still on the forefront of the eventual use, but if I read it right, to be bypassed by quantum mechanics.

Not in the far off future, but today... with Microsoft, and the entire electronics industry.

More:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/mathe...ages-20190725/

An overview of the involvement of the Quantum science industry, based on upcoming meetings.

https://www.conference-service.com/c...mechanics.html
Old 07-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

IMO computing will likely be the place quantum tech sees the most practical application. Quantum adds vast computing power because it takes calculations into the next spatial dimension, literally. A quantum computer spreads a complex computation across multiple computers, specifically the computers in nearby parallel universes, with each doing a small portion of the calculation. In a specific experiment, scientists have shown that at least 40 computers were simultaneously at work, though only one computer was busy in our universe. Current speculation is the number of computers that can participate in a shared quantum calculation is huge, perhaps near infinite.

I do not see other practical applications for quantum tech, at least not before new discoveries. It appears parallel universes interact only at the quantum level, and only in small amounts. For example, energy randomly leaks from one universe to another in tiny amounts needed for our electronics to function ("quantum tunnelling"), but then that energy returns whence it came. There does not seem to be a way to send a meaningful message to another universe, or to permanently gather energy from other universes into ours. And perhaps that's just as well since those abilities could be used both constructively and destructively.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Administrator

Some day it may expand the options of “where should I retire” once those parallel universes are opened up.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

For the most part, quantum computing and quantum computers have been (are) a big scam. I've followed this story for many years.

Quantum computing and quantum computers have been around for some time. Thus far, all that's been accomplished is that a lot of money has been dumped into it and companies with more money than they know what to do with have bought quantum computers and have attempted to utilize them. The company which has been leading this effort - D-Wave.

For decades, it's been promised that quantum computing was going to allow solving problems currently unthinkable. To date, nothing tangible has been accomplished. Most times, they can't even get the computers to work or operate with any kind of stability/reliability. Again, this has been going on for decades.

"D-Wave's Dream Machine"
https://www.inc.com/will-bourne/d-wa...m-machine.html

The accent is a little heavy, but the information is valid:
"Why quantum computing is scam"
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

No argument about the "computer scam"... and my thinking that 5 years might see breakthroughs is probably not founded..

...but... note the topic of the post... Not Quantum computers, or mechanics, or physics. It was prompted by and explanation that I read about why a toaster's wires turn red, or how a florescent light works.

It really goes back to the beginnings of the last century, when "quantum" was used to describe a part of physics that couldn't then be explained.

The second fascinating part of the subject that made me wonder, was the idea that "quantum" involved matter. Particulate matter... sub-microscopic matter that might be one millionth or a billionth the the size of a pinhead.

How many "working parts" will you use when looking at the picture below? What and how does your brain retain memories of 50 or 60 years of life? How many connections are required for to process your actions in just the last minute.

Not looking to solve how the universe works, or what this may mean for tomorrow, but just a little bit of thinking outside the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beach.jpg (234.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
...but... note the topic of the post... Not Quantum computers, or mechanics, or physics. It was prompted by and explanation that I read about why a toaster's wires turn red, or how a florescent light works.
I was responding to your second post, where you included a link to a talk and the talk was about quantum computing, and reliant upon quantum computers.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I was responding to your second post, where you included a link to a talk and the talk was about quantum computing, and reliant upon quantum computers.
Definitely... and important today... I agree with the clip you cited. I just got roped in to the whole subject and am having fun reading about it.

Another article here:

https://futurism.com/quantum-darwini...rimental-tests

Here's what got me started...

Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #11

Quantum Darwinism, with its pointer states, imprinted replicas, and survival of only the fittest state seems unnecessarily complex to me. For example, what happens to the less fit states? They existed a moment ago, but then went poof?

It's much simpler to consider decoherence to be the determination of specifically which world (of many nearby parallel ones) the observer shares with whatever he observed. No states, worlds, or universes, go poof, instead they all continue to exist. Thus an observer's memory reflects merely the particular path he took through the possible parallel worlds.

For more about quantum physics, I find the PBS Space Time series on youtube quite informative.

As for quantum computing scams, I'm sure some unscrupulous groups have raised money without doing or delivering much to investors. That happens with most nascent technology. However, universities plus companies like D-Wave and IBM have already built and successfully operated small quantum computers. They are actively scaling them up in size.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
What's the delay with blockchain technology? It's been around for awhile. I think they use it on the dark web. I've read articles about it and how secure the process which is why it's hard to catch criminals on the dark web.
Blockchain is perking along just fine but it isn't quantum. The Gartner Hype Curve has it right at the top of the curve so we can expect a lot of disillusionment before it settles in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hype.JPG (125.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #13

Quantum computing isn’t a scam, but it’s applications will be limited for a long time. The reality is that conventional computers are fine for almost everything we need to do for the foreseeable future. There will be a time where quantum will play a role, but I suspect it will coexist with traditional computers, not replace.

The reality is, it’s hard to build a quantum computer. Not to get in the details too much, but decoherence is not easy to deal with. The state of the art right now can deal with a lot of this, but it’s no means a practical or scalable solution.

Also, who knows what D-Wave really does. This is a not a peer reviewed system so it’s tough to know. If you really want to see what’s going on, then check out IBM/Google or what’s happening in university labs, such as using ion traps (which is cool, but hard to scale).