Join Early Retirement Today

Question about drywall and wall repair
Old 05-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Administrator

Question about drywall and wall repair

We have a roof leak, which is being repaired. Part of one wall was damaged from water and mold, and a section about 2' x 2' was cut out. Photo below.

Once the roof is repaired, does this hold need to be repaired immediately (new drywall and paint), or can it be left open like this for an extended period (months). Reason being we will be away from home and the timing of the repair is very close to our departure date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wall cutout.jpg (42.6 KB, 254 views)

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No reason the repair can't wait until your return. Just stick a tapestry or painting over it and no one will know.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw away and toss any moldy material. Then, just screw a piece of 1/4" plywood (or anything you have lying around) over it (the hole) until you get back.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

Leave it open. Will help to dry everything out. Repair it when you get home.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't see much from the photo, but I don't see any harm with leaving it open to dry/air out and then fix it when you return. Exterior wall I assume?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

I'd just leave it as is and fix it when we got back. No harm that I can think of in leaving it open.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Administrator

I know the photo is dark, but really there's not much to see. Some wood and insulation, right in the middle of an outside wall. There was quite a bit of water but mold only there, nowhere else - behind a framed painting. Based on the feedback here, I'm going to suggest to DW we call it an extended dry-out period and deal with it when we're back.

The roof leak was around some flashing. It's one of the few level spots on the roof, and there was some "accumulation of debris". Their term, used at least a dozen times. I think that points to a flawed installation, but the owner feels they installed correctly. I asked the guy who does the work (one of the advantages of speaking spanish ) and he told me the installation could have been better and the leak avoided, but didn't convey real negligence, and I believe him.

I'm doubtful they will cover the damage to the inside wall but are doing the roof repair without objection. No signs of water or mold anywhere else.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I know the photo is dark, but really there's not much to see. Some wood and insulation, right in the middle of an outside wall.
When you mentioned drywall and paint, I thought inside wall. Your statement above has me confused. Is the hole inside or outside?

Old 05-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When you mentioned drywall and paint, I thought inside wall. Your statement above has me confused. Is the hole inside or outside?
The inside wall that looks outside. Not sure what the proper name is.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
The inside wall that looks outside.
Maybe put in a window?

I stand by my earlier statement - it should be fine until you are ready to have it repaired.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... I'm doubtful they will cover the damage to the inside wall but are doing the roof repair without objection. No signs of water or mold anywhere else.
Who is they? The HOA? Insurer?

FWIW, at our Florida condo the association is responsible for all outside and common walls, including the drywall inside of those walls..... we are responsible for the paint and any interior walls.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe spray some bleach on it? Mold spores can be a health hazard.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Who is they? The HOA? Insurer?
The roofing company - the roof is 4 years old.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Insurance covers remediation and restoration (we had a similar disaster 12 months ago). The remediation (tear-out and mold removal/treatment) should only take a few hours (one visit). The repair can be scheduled later at your convenience.

For us, the restoration portion took over two months (wrong carpet ordered, storage container for furniture had wrong lock, etc). As we are ER'd we sucked it up and made ourselves available when needed. Had we been working we would have been very p*ssed taking all that time off.

USAA selected a very S-Stooges restoration company (Belfor). Never again.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe put in a window?

I stand by my earlier statement - it should be fine until you are ready to have it repaired.
Cool.

The photo is a close up. It's actually right next to a big window.

Insurance won't help me, this is South Florida and the deductibles are really high.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Maybe spray some bleach on it? Mold spores can be a health hazard.
Not a bad idea, just in case.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #17

One stud bay? Or more? Fiberglass insulation in the stud bay? How much water got in there? Is it dry at the bottom? Is the insulation dry?

I "might" pull out the insulation and put a small fan in the bay. Worst case open up the stud bay to the bottom & see what it's like down there. Not much difference between 4' x 16" & a 18" x 16" hole. And put in a fan for a few days. Stuff in some new insulation

Get a drywall patch guy in the patch it up purty. The good guys can match the orange peel texture (if that is what you have) very well.

I see you are not going through insurance. That helps a lot. We have the same toilet supply fail 2x's over several years. Since i know "guys" we just did it ourselves. Our vacation home skylight roof leaked at <1 year so the builder got them back out. Poor flashing. They replaced some flooring too. I can see some of the patch work. But Mrs Scrapr can't. So the phrase Can't see it from my house applies here
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Get as much of the wet stuff out as you can. Get a fan running on it if possible. Leave it open and get the hole patched when you return.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
One stud bay? Or more? Fiberglass insulation in the stud bay? How much water got in there? Is it dry at the bottom? Is the insulation dry?
The last heavy rain was friday past, a real downpour. First time we saw any water elsewhere other than at the spot we cut out. There were signs of water below the hole and about 2 feet to one side, same level. Nothing above, nothing on the ceiling, or any other wall. I think the leak was recent and the damage contained. At least that's my hope. Everything dried pretty quickly and no water since. It's quite dry now.

It may make sense to pull out and replace some insulation, or even cut out some more drywall. We already have someone to do this, so we'll talk it over with him. He was in the attic above the leak last week and didn't see any signs of water, rot or mold.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

Quote:
The last heavy rain was friday past, a real downpour. First time we saw any water elsewhere other than at the spot we cut out. There were signs of water below the hole and about 2 feet to one side, same level. Nothing above, nothing on the ceiling, or any other wall. I think the leak was recent and the damage contained. At least that's my hope. Everything dried pretty quickly and no water since. It's quite dry now.

It may make sense to pull out and replace some insulation, or even cut out some more drywall. We already have someone to do this, so we'll talk it over with him. He was in the attic above the leak last week and didn't see any signs of water, rot or mold.
That's when the leaks appear! OK, I'm being a smartass.

I would pull the insulation from any suspect areas. It's not going to hold up well when wet. If you have a patch guy then you can open up suspect areas and not be too bad off. Maybe see if you can borrow a moisture meter. Or even better a infra red camera.

Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote