Question: Car Safety Ratings for The Engineers Here

Statistics can be hard, so many variables. Thing the crown vic vs. Marquis makes sense.
From my personal experiences, three folks rear ended 3 different pickups. All 3 were driving compacts. All 3 totaled their vehicles, my pickups had bumper damage.
As far as injuries all 3 driver's were ok, due to prior cervical spine issues I had many days of misery, suffering, and lost wages.
What conclusion can I draw from that? Not much, maybe I'm not smart enough to see it.
MRG

I like the crashworthiness of the Mercedes E-class. Get it with the diesel (2005 is the last year for the straight six) and you get 30+ mpg without sacrificing performance or comfort. I've seen '05s on car lots for less than $20K. I don't think you can get the diesel in AWD, though.

Single-car crash worthiness doesn't tell the whole story. When lightweight cars collide with heavier cars the lighter car may do very poorly.

Check out this IIHS video showing how the Yaris passenger compartment crushes when colliding with a Camry, even though the Yaris has excellent single-car crash worthiness scores

Safety consequences of vehicle size and weight - YouTube

You can't repeal the laws of physics

Last edited:
Several years ago my wife wanted to replace here 1983 Honda Accord. She was fixated on safety ratings for new cars. I kept telling her that any car on the market would be safer that what she has been driving so don't sweat it too much.

Back
Top Bottom