Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
He also wrote "Over time the facts and words found in TMND get twisted. It is a myth that most millionaire next door types only buy used cars. In fact, for every one millionaire that is used vehicle prone there are two who tend to buy new vehicles."

We looked at a local CarMax recently for a used car, but the prices were pretty high for the mileage on the models we were interested in, so we are back to looking at new cars and current safety ratings. My concern with a used car is that if we end up with a couple of major repair bills, then for the same amount of money we could have had a new car for the same price with at least a three year warranty and more up to date safety standards.
Which is exactly why we recently bought a new, not used, Honda Accord. The lower price of a "newish" - 2 or 3 years old - one wasn't low enough to take on the risk of buying one that had been abused or maintenance skipped.

And I'm not even a millionaire.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Crown Victorias are also a car of choice for some of young male drivers, a high driving risk age group. They can be bought relatively cheap at police auctions and then the kids get fast cars with powerful V8 engines. Or as was mentioned some parents also buy them for their kids because they can be bought cheap at auction and then the kids have a large car that would be safe in a collision.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Deleted.... someone already posted about Crown Vic et al
Old 12-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I saw this video of a older, bigger Volvo in a head on with a smaller, newer Renault built under more recent safety standards and this time the smaller car did come out ahead -
The safety engineering of a vehicle definitely plays a large role in the outcome.
However, given the same engineering the more massive vehicle wins.

That said, the single largest safety factor is the driver. The Yugo driver that is attentive and avoids an accident is safer that the inatentive massive SUV driver that plows into a concrete barrier.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
..... The Yugo driver that is attentive and avoids an accident is safer that the inattentive massive SUV driver that plows into a concrete barrier.
Right. Another big factor, recently, is stability control. Prior to that feature, SUVs were more dangerous in spite of their bigger size due to the high relative rate of roll overs.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Statistics can be hard, so many variables. Thing the crown vic vs. Marquis makes sense.
From my personal experiences, three folks rear ended 3 different pickups. All 3 were driving compacts. All 3 totaled their vehicles, my pickups had bumper damage.
As far as injuries all 3 driver's were ok, due to prior cervical spine issues I had many days of misery, suffering, and lost wages.
What conclusion can I draw from that? Not much, maybe I'm not smart enough to see it.
MRG
Old 12-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like the crashworthiness of the Mercedes E-class. Get it with the diesel (2005 is the last year for the straight six) and you get 30+ mpg without sacrificing performance or comfort. I've seen '05s on car lots for less than $20K. I don't think you can get the diesel in AWD, though.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Single-car crash worthiness doesn't tell the whole story. When lightweight cars collide with heavier cars the lighter car may do very poorly.

Check out this IIHS video showing how the Yaris passenger compartment crushes when colliding with a Camry, even though the Yaris has excellent single-car crash worthiness scores

Safety consequences of vehicle size and weight - YouTube

You can't repeal the laws of physics
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Several years ago my wife wanted to replace here 1983 Honda Accord. She was fixated on safety ratings for new cars. I kept telling her that any car on the market would be safer that what she has been driving so don't sweat it too much.